Dolphins to take Jake Long?

Looks like the Dolphins have begun talking contract with Jake Long's agent, Tom Condon. Obviously does not mean we are set in stone to take Long, but it looks to me like they want to see if he will be an 'easy' sign. If they balk at Miami's price, I am sure they begin to negotiate for the other Long, Chris.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ORTS06/80409077

Jake Long is a safe pick. However you can argue that you shouldnt take an Olineman with the 1st overall pick.

Either way he is a very good player.

The one good thing about this for the Jets, is that it probably means that the Raiders take Chris Long and McFadden falls to #6.

Chris Long doesn't make it out of the top 3, either the Rams or the Falcons could use him badly. I don't think McFadden slips to 6 whether someone trades up or Oakland takes him. KC would probably like to trade down, especially if they can't get Jake Long at 5.

Chris Long doesn't make it out of the top 3, either the Rams or the Falcons could use him badly. I don't think McFadden slips to 6 whether someone trades up or Oakland takes him. KC would probably like to trade down, especially if they can't get Jake Long at 5.

I dont agree with you. St. Louis would probably rather take Dorsey or Ellis because that way they can move last years first round pick Adam Carriker back to DE where he is a better fit.

Atlanta has zero need for a DE. They have last years first round pick Jamaal Anderson and John Abraham as their ends. They have much much larger pressing needs than DE.

Jake Long is a safe pick. However you can argue that you shouldnt take an Olineman with the 1st overall pick.

I would never argue that. A LT is IMO the 2nd or 3rd most important position on the football field (behind QB for sure, maybe DE) A great LT will always be worthy of the #1 pick and #1 pick type money.

The question is whether or not Long is a true LT. A lot of scouts will tell you he projects as a good LT, but great RT. His feet are not the quickest, which is the problem. Great run blocker, but a great RT, or any other position on the line, is not worthy of the #1 pick.

I want everyone to also remember that this does not mean we are for sure taking Jake Long. From what I have read, we will negoitate contracts with 3-4 players and rule out the player who looks difficult. Considering that Jake's agent is Tom Condon, it is a very good possibility that Jake will be a difficult sign and we end with someone like a Chris Long.

I think I'd actually prefer a Vernon Gholston over a Chris Long if we're going defense with the #1 pick, but that's just me.

btw, Vernon Gholston is RIPPED. ESPN reports say that the Dolphins are talking to Gholston's people about a contract, too.

Long has allowed 2 sacks in 4 years, one in his freshman year and the one against Gholston. Also, he has had only 2 penalties in four years. Pretty impressive, but not as impressive as Gholston's bulging biceps. :o

Gholston did 37 reps of 225 on bench press. I believe he tied Jake Long.

In reality with the #1 pick they cant go wrong.

As a Jets fan, I would be thrilled with either Long, Gholston or McFadden slipping to #6.