April 26, 200818 yr ? Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... ?Man, I would love to see how much trade value Scott Olsen would have to a team like the Texas Rangers right now... boooo I agree....we need a solid starter, not Salty Pretty sure the Rangers were just an example. There are plenty of other teams that could use a solid 2-3 starter. As nice as it feels to actually have an ace, I didn't have Olsen in the Marlins' rotation in 2010, anyways. So I wouldn't be against seeing him go for the right offer. I really just think we need to wait to see how the rest of our young pitching develops before we think about trading away the closest thing we have to an established commodity. Also, for the record, I'm not keen on a trade with Texas. I don't think Salty will stick at catcher and I don't think Texas is interested in parting with Teagarden. Jeff Clement on the other hand...
April 26, 200818 yr Postives 1. We won a game because of great pitching. We outpitched the opponent. Who would've thought we would've had that this year? Many people were doubting it, already. 2. Scott Olsen is becoming the ace of this staff. Another 7.1 scoreless innings last night. Nice. 3. The bullpen perfect again. Justin Miller helps Olsen getting Braun in the 8th inning, and Pinto followed getting Fielder to fly out, as well. Gregg sounded awesome from the radio tonight. He was firing strikes, and proved he wasn't just a 1 inning guy. 4. Hermida getting 3 hits. Nice to hear (since I couldn't see). :banghead Rabelo also had 3 hits. 5. We won the game...and Willingham wasn't even in the lineup. Negatives 1. We struggled moving runners over, and bringing them in...until the 10th inning. We can't make this a habit. ============================================================================= Overall, great win. :thumbup
April 26, 200818 yr May I add something? WORST GAME NOT TO TELEVISE. I mean come on, EXTRA INNING SHUTOUT! Agreed. I hate having to listen to the radio like it's 1941. same here, its a Friday and a away game, whats up wit that? Dude... how many times does FSN have to tell you? They would rather watch poker and the Tampax Bay Devil Rays.
April 26, 200818 yr May I add something? WORST GAME NOT TO TELEVISE. I mean come on, EXTRA INNING SHUTOUT! Agreed. I hate having to listen to the radio like it's 1941. same here, its a Friday and a away game, whats up wit that? Dude... how many times does FSN have to tell you? They would rather watch poker and the Tampax Bay Devil Rays. They're televising 150 Marlins games this year, with great postgame coverage. It's not a bad deal. No team shows all 162 games, unless if they have their own station (like the Yankees, with the YES channel).
April 26, 200818 yr Pretty sure the Rangers were just an example. There are plenty of other teams that could use a solid 2-3 starter. As nice as it feels to actually have an ace, I didn't have Olsen in the Marlins' rotation in 2010, anyways. So I wouldn't be against seeing him go for the right offer. If he pitches like this, I hope he's in the 2020 rotation as the crafty 36 year old veteran...
April 26, 200818 yr this would be supprise team of season if pitching staff can get better we have good 1spot 2 spot but from 3 to 5 need pitch better that be Burke Badenhop and Andrew Miller , Enrique Nolasco who need show their can go into 7 innng without having bad innng
April 26, 200818 yr Enrique Nolasco Who? I believe that is Ricky's name.... Or at least I remember them saying on the telecast once his full name and it wasn't Ricky....
April 26, 200818 yr I believe that is Ricky's name.... Or at least I remember them saying on the telecast once his full name and it wasn't Ricky.... Yeah, his full name is Carlos Enrique Nolasco
April 26, 200818 yr I believe that is Ricky's name.... Or at least I remember them saying on the telecast once his full name and it wasn't Ricky.... Yeah, his full name is Carlos Enrique Nolasco yes that what have on his profile in fllorida marlins .com
April 27, 200818 yr Jesus...Trade Olsen?!?! What is with you people? This makes me almost embarassed tp be a Marlins fan... I mean seriously - we are a winning team right now, and our biggest weakness is SP, and you guys want to trade our best SP? Nevermind the fact that he is young and dirt cheap. I mean I could at least understand the argument for trading Hendrickson down the line (although I wouldn't be in such a hurry to do that either), but OLSEN?!?! Who watches a guy go out and give QS every outing, and throw 7.1 innings of shutout baseball, and then says "lets trade him!"
April 27, 200818 yr Jesus...Trade Olsen?!?! What is with you people? This makes me almost embarassed tp be a Marlins fan... I mean seriously - we are a winning team right now, and our biggest weakness is SP, and you guys want to trade our best SP? Nevermind the fact that he is young and dirt cheap. I mean I could at least understand the argument for trading Hendrickson down the line (although I wouldn't be in such a hurry to do that either), but OLSEN?!?! Who watches a guy go out and give QS every outing, and throw 7.1 innings of shutout baseball, and then says "lets trade him!" You're obviously not aware of how much pitching depth we have in the minors. If they offered Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, I don't think the Marlins could say no.
April 27, 200818 yr Jesus...Trade Olsen?!?! What is with you people? This makes me almost embarassed tp be a Marlins fan... I mean seriously - we are a winning team right now, and our biggest weakness is SP, and you guys want to trade our best SP? Nevermind the fact that he is young and dirt cheap. I mean I could at least understand the argument for trading Hendrickson down the line (although I wouldn't be in such a hurry to do that either), but OLSEN?!?! Who watches a guy go out and give QS every outing, and throw 7.1 innings of shutout baseball, and then says "lets trade him!" You're obviously not aware of how much pitching depth we have in the minors. If they offered Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, I don't think the Marlins could say no. You obviously enjoy kool-aid.
April 27, 200818 yr Jesus...Trade Olsen?!?! What is with you people? This makes me almost embarassed tp be a Marlins fan... I mean seriously - we are a winning team right now, and our biggest weakness is SP, and you guys want to trade our best SP? Nevermind the fact that he is young and dirt cheap. I mean I could at least understand the argument for trading Hendrickson down the line (although I wouldn't be in such a hurry to do that either), but OLSEN?!?! Who watches a guy go out and give QS every outing, and throw 7.1 innings of shutout baseball, and then says "lets trade him!" You're obviously not aware of how much pitching depth we have in the minors. If they offered Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, I don't think the Marlins could say no. That offer is never coming. No chance.
April 27, 200818 yr You're obviously not aware of how much pitching depth we have in the minors. If they offered Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, I don't think the Marlins could say no. Minor league games don't count in our record. And obviously we want to be rushing young pitchers up when it is unnecessary, what with how successful its been with Andrew Miller thus far. Again, on a FIRST PLACE team that has a weakness in SP you want to trade our ace for a backup catcher? Seriously, if the guy cannot even win a starting job in Texas why would he be worth giving up the most reliable pitcher in our rotation probably for the entire season? Nevermind that with all the hate for Uggla on this board, Saltalamacchia actually Ks more often in his ABs then Uggla. Honestly, if we had so many arms that were ready to pitch at the big league level then they would be in the rotation, ahead of Badenhop, replacing Miller, maybe even ahead of Nolasco pushing him into the pen. Those guys aren't ready, and while I know we all came into this year thinking we would just be rebuilding but we have been winning enough to be the division leader. Why make a move pretty much guaranteed to give that up HOPING that it will make you better long term? Without Olsen, we have no stopper, no ace. Nobody is gonna step up out barely pitching in AA and put up numbers like Olsen has been doing so far this year.
April 27, 200818 yr You're obviously not aware of how much pitching depth we have in the minors. If they offered Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, I don't think the Marlins could say no. Minor league games don't count in our record. And obviously we want to be rushing young pitchers up when it is unnecessary, what with how successful its been with Andrew Miller thus far. Again, on a FIRST PLACE team that has a weakness in SP you want to trade our ace for a backup catcher? Seriously, if the guy cannot even win a starting job in Texas why would he be worth giving up the most reliable pitcher in our rotation probably for the entire season? Nevermind that with all the hate for Uggla on this board, Saltalamacchia actually Ks more often in his ABs then Uggla. Honestly, if we had so many arms that were ready to pitch at the big league level then they would be in the rotation, ahead of Badenhop, replacing Miller, maybe even ahead of Nolasco pushing him into the pen. Those guys aren't ready, and while I know we all came into this year thinking we would just be rebuilding but we have been winning enough to be the division leader. Why make a move pretty much guaranteed to give that up HOPING that it will make you better long term? Without Olsen, we have no stopper, no ace. Nobody is gonna step up out barely pitching in AA and put up numbers like Olsen has been doing so far this year. It's April 26th. By the end of July, threads like this will be a dime a dozen on this board. 2010 is this team's year. By then, a number of our prospects will be big league ready, including Volstad and Hernandez.
April 27, 200818 yr It's April 26th. By the end of July, threads like this will be a dime a dozen on this board. 2010 is this team's year. By then, a number of our prospects will be big league ready, including Volstad and Hernandez. #1 - If we can stay in first place, then why give up now to wait? Why not this year? And don't sit here and tell me what will happen. No one predicted the way we started this season and the fact that we have a good shot at finishing the month in first place, so I don't act as though things will be so easily predictable. #2 - If you're counting on Volstad & others to come in then that's all the more reason to keep Olsen, as we'd rather not have to call them up and put them through the same crap as Miller. #3 - What do you even expect these guys to come in and do anyway? Post an ERA under 3 as ML rookies? I'm not saying it's impossible, but you want to dump Olsen at his best and then expect these guys to fill his shoes? #4 - And for a backup catcher and a minor league catcher from an awful team? I'm not saying they're worthless players, but what kind of expectations are you putting on these guys when you argue for this kind of deal?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.