Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Justin Miller

Featured Replies

Is it just me, or is one of our best relievers like rarely being used lately?

 

If we're up...it's ALWAYS Pinto.

If we're down...it means Lindstrom needs work.

 

Where is Miller???

 

When was the last time this guy even pitched? The last 2 weeks, I'd say he's been in about 3 games (not much more, if it is).

 

Meanwhile, Pinto is getting overworked, and Lindstrom is getting more work (despite the fact Miller has actually pitched well).

 

What gives?

Lindstrom hasn't given up a run in this series yet.

 

Waechter is being overused though and he's not looked quite as good as earlier.

I noticed that as well. Its strange considering how many times Fredi depended on him last year....I think he just likes Kensing/Pinto when we're up (our 2 best relievers) and Tank/Lindstrom when we're down.

 

Miller needs to see more work and Weachter needs some rest along with Tank.

Tank needs to be sent packing, Miller isnt our best but he is up there and you are right, not enough. Pinto has been great, so I have no problem with him seeing a lot, I just think Justin Miller should be in there too. I think Fredi needs to realize a few things as far as our pen. He never uses the MRP's at the right time.

  • Author

Pinto has been great, so I have no problem with him seeing a lot

 

 

I do...at this rate, Pinto won't have an arm by September.

And there's no reason for it...

  • Author

Tank needs to be sent packing

 

 

If you mean packing to Alberquerque for a little while...sure.

If you mean packing (as in release him)...no.

Tank needs to be sent packing

 

 

If you mean packing to Alberquerque for a little while...sure.

If you mean packing (as in release him)...no.

+1.

If you look at the pattern of relievers' use not just here but throughout the league (there are exceptions) they are like fireman three or fours or five days on, then two or three or four off. When Gardner was hurt and Lindstrom ailing (not that you'd find that out from the local media) the workload had to fall on certain guys and now that need rest you're setting a different cadre in there more often than not.

 

It's perfectly typical. Look at their individual gamelogs and compare them to the team gamelogs and the pattern is obvious. There's no mystery why Lindstrom is getting work now or why someone else is being held back.

 

Tank knows what's coming he said so himself, I suspect the timing has to do with them being on the road and a call from Dean Treanor to let them know so and so is ready for a call up. The front office holds Treanor's evaluations in high regard, they know he won't sending them someone he feels isn't ready.

If you look at the pattern of relievers' use not just here but throughout the league (there are exceptions) they are like fireman three or fours or five days on, then two or three or four off. When Gardner was hurt and Lindstrom ailing (not that you'd find that out from the local media) the workload had to fall on certain guys and now that need rest you're setting a different cadre in there more often than not.

 

It's perfectly typical. Look at their individual gamelogs and compare them to the team gamelogs and the pattern is obvious. There's no mystery why Lindstrom is getting work now or why someone else is being held back.

 

Tank knows what's coming he said so himself, I suspect the timing has to do with them being on the road and a call from Dean Treanor to let them know so and so is ready for a call up. The front office holds Treanor's evaluations in high regard, they know he won't sending them someone he feels isn't ready.

 

I fully expect to see Tank go down, maybe by the week end. The only thing I see that reminds me of last year is his sprint from the pen. He just isn't going after hitters. Instead he is becoming a nibbler. That's not his style. He needs the time in AAA to get it together. And I would think this may be the time for Joe Nelson to get his shot. He's not on the 40 man but with Barone on the 7 day DL there with an ERA in double digits it is the perfect time to make a move.

Tank needs to be sent packing

 

 

If you mean packing to Alberquerque for a little while...sure.

If you mean packing (as in release him)...no.

 

I mean let him go somewhere else. He deserves time in the majors, but I think we have enough depth below us in the minors to not have Tank, and have someone more reliable.

Pinto has been great, so I have no problem with him seeing a lot

 

 

I do...at this rate, Pinto won't have an arm by September.

And there's no reason for it...

 

From my perspective its pretty hard to overthrow a relievers arm that easily. Its not like he has been in every game... as long as he gets rests he should be fine.

FWIW, both the Herald and Sun-Sentinel have articles up today noting that Tank spent time with Mark Wiley looking over video of the other night's game and they spotted some mechanical flaws in his delivery that can be corrected. If it's simply an issue like that, I doubt he'll be sent to AAA. Here's the Herald's blurb:

 

TANKERSLEY WORKING ON FLAWS

 

After giving up a pair of two-run homers Monday night, reliever Taylor Tankersley spent Tuesday trying to figure out what went wrong. He said pitching coach Mark Wiley detected mechanical flaws in his delivery, all of which are correctable.

 

''Mark is doing a good job of trying to get me back on track,'' said Tankersley, who has given up 11 runs in 12 innings this season (8.25 ERA).

 

Tankersley entered Monday's game in the seventh inning with the score tied, and he gave up home runs to Jeff Keppinger and Brandon Phillips.

 

''Keppinger got me on a pretty decent pitch, but he [fooled] me,'' Tankersley said. ``I thought for sure he was bunting. When he swung, I went, `Oh, no.'

 

``Phillips, that was just poor pitch selection on a hitter's count, and he did what he's supposed to do with it.''

 

Tankersley said he started the season in a rut.

 

''The beginning of the season, I was just out of sorts,'' he said. ``Bad outings were coming because I felt like I was lost out there, like I was a fish out of water -- like I had never thrown a baseball in my life. It was weird.''

 

Tankersley said the velocity on his fastball was down for the first month, even though his arm felt fine.

 

''I felt like [a folded-up] lawn chair,'' he said.

I asked Rich and Tommy last night but they aren't allowed to talk about stuff like that. He is IMO our 3rd best RP and he has barely pitched this year.

i didnt even see ths thread. sry. i asked rich and tommy but they arent aloud to do something like that. its not like he hasnt been ready. they left tank in the other day to tank when he was ready in the bullpen the whole time if i recall correctly

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.