June 4, 200818 yr They'll probably be at least one other roster spot opening up very soon so don't worry you'll probably see McPherson sooner rather than later. As for Hoover in the last two years in the Marlins organization I don't see where he's embarrassed himself, has played well when called upon, defensively and offensively. I don't think it's by accident that the Marlins protect a 32 year catcher on the 40 man roster other than they think he's worth holding onto. If the knock is his age, there's five or so guys his age or older already on the team including Matt Treanor. The guy is up for a reason, he knows what to do in game situations, he's capable of putting the bat on the ball (he's righty) and I suspect the other night when Fredi had to go to Rabelo after pinch-running for Treanor he was uncomfortable being in that position, being out of catchers, unless you want Fredo or Mike Jacobs is going back there. He's a guy with a good glove who can be there if needed. This is born out of having a catching tandem of course, instead of a solo starting catcher and backup. But we have spare outfielders, spare infielders, it might not be the worst idea in the world to carry a third catcher who can come off the bench as a pinch-hitter as your fourth or fifth infielders and outfielders are expected to do. I'm in favor of at least giving McPherson a look see sooner rather than later but this might not be the right time for any number of reasons, from health to Dean Treanor to something completely off the radar. I don't pretend to know. As a fan I'm of course I want to see him reaching his potential at the MLB level but the front office and the manager aren't pr*cks just tryin' to hold the man down, they've concluded this isn't his time. The problem I have with Hoover is that there's no point in having 3 catchers on the team. Seriously...is he even going to get playing time? He can't be a backup, b/c he's the backup to the backup. He's not a pinch-runner. He's not a pinch-hitter. So basically...we're hoping to have like a 20 inning game, to MAYBE get Hoover into a game. As opposed to a McPherson or a Gall...who would probably earn a start at least once every week. McPherson has power, and can play multiple positions. Gall can give Gonzo some time off, occasionally, and play some against lefties.
June 4, 200818 yr I think Hoover was brought up to wake up Rabelo. Looks like it worked. I don't buy into this...at all. If anything, it's just more pressure on Rabelo. That's just speculation...and you would only say such a thing b/c Rabelo hit a game-tying HR, today. It is what it is...at the end of the day, we have 3 backup catchers, on the team.
June 4, 200818 yr Paul Hoover is up because he is right handed and because the cupboard is bare for hitting talent that is even remotely major league ready.
June 5, 200818 yr what was last time we have three catcher on team? last year in september callups? besides call ups probably '03 with Castro Redman and Pudge
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.