June 4, 200818 yr He's the one we called up to take Tank's spot. Talk about anti-climactic. Discuss. well i guess it was a coin toss between hoover and john gall. so between the two its really not that big of a difference. i hope we draft a catcher this year one that can mash. to go along with our stud young pitchers
June 4, 200818 yr I didn't expect it either but if we were bringing up a third catcher Hoover may prove to be the right decision.
June 4, 200818 yr Paul f***inn Hoover? Are you serious!?! Why would this team do that with the crap that Rabelo has done? Unless Hoover can come into the game and throw 90mph fast balls to get a save, or hit the ball at all, it was a horrible move. Now, if they send Rabelo down it's completely understandable. But, what the heck do we need yet another back up catcher for?
June 4, 200818 yr Reason Gall or Wood wasn't recalled was because they are not on the 40-man, while Hoover was. Andino couldn't be recalled until tomm. so it was by default.
June 4, 200818 yr Haha, nice joke guys. Now seriously, who is coming up? Rab, It isn't 4/1 so it is true Paul Hoover got the call today
June 4, 200818 yr What a f***ing joke. Really, What is his purpose on this roster? He can play other positions too. Thats what I heard.
June 4, 200818 yr Haha, nice joke guys. Now seriously, who is coming up? Rab, It isn't 4/1 so it is true Paul Hoover got the call today HAHA! I knew you were up to this! You changed the date on my computer! Wow, you are the king!
June 4, 200818 yr What a f***ing joke. Really, What is his purpose on this roster? He can play other positions too. Thats what I heard. I heard he plays left bench really good. Maybe we can platoon him there with Rabelo.
June 4, 200818 yr What a f***ing joke. Really, What is his purpose on this roster? He can play other positions too. Thats what I heard. I heard he plays left bench really good. Maybe we can platoon him there with Rabelo.
June 4, 200818 yr OMG, just bring up McPherson already. What have you got to lose? He's not THAT young, he's not really "the future" with this club, but he still has potential, and he has power. You can play him at 3B, 1B, and some OF. Certainly better than having Paul Hoover (3rd string catcher? Why?) At least bring someone who has some power...someone who can provide something for this team. Paul Hoover provides nothing...unless, if we were looking to callup a bullpen catcher...for that, stay with Tankersley.
June 4, 200818 yr We called up a Vacuum? omg.I guess Fredi is starting to conceed that we aren't going anywhere without pitching.
June 4, 200818 yr well paul hoover is theonly hitter left on the 40 man whos not on the DL we could call up
June 4, 200818 yr STILL waiting on McPhereson. Now watch when we call him up, .300 hitter with 20 HRs to end the season or something haha.
June 4, 200818 yr you cant bring mchpherson because we need a righty bat. ok, fine...bring up John Gall, then. At least he can platoon some in the OF.
June 4, 200818 yr They'll probably be at least one other roster spot opening up very soon so don't worry you'll probably see McPherson sooner rather than later. As for Hoover in the last two years in the Marlins organization I don't see where he's embarrassed himself, has played well when called upon, defensively and offensively. I don't think it's by accident that the Marlins protect a 32 year catcher on the 40 man roster other than they think he's worth holding onto. If the knock is his age, there's five or so guys his age or older already on the team including Matt Treanor. The guy is up for a reason, he knows what to do in game situations, he's capable of putting the bat on the ball (he's righty) and I suspect the other night when Fredi had to go to Rabelo after pinch-running for Treanor he was uncomfortable being in that position, being out of catchers, unless you want Fredo or Mike Jacobs is going back there. He's a guy with a good glove who can be there if needed. This is born out of having a catching tandem of course, instead of a solo starting catcher and backup. But we have spare outfielders, spare infielders, it might not be the worst idea in the world to carry a third catcher who can come off the bench as a pinch-hitter as your fourth or fifth infielders and outfielders are expected to do. I'm in favor of at least giving McPherson a look see sooner rather than later but this might not be the right time for any number of reasons, from health to Dean Treanor to something completely off the radar. I don't pretend to know. As a fan I'm of course I want to see him reaching his potential at the MLB level but the front office and the manager aren't pr*cks just tryin' to hold the man down, they've concluded this isn't his time.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.