Wes Helms

He doesn't provide much on the field and I think "veteran presence" is overrated.

-clutch in the late innings, as a hitter

-is an upgrade over Jacobs defensively at 1B. Yes, I know this isn't a compliment...but fact is, he isn't terrible over there. He just looked terrible on that one play, tonight. Helms, at least, stretches for throws, and occasionally robs hitters (like Bruce, tonight). As opposed to Jacobs...the stationary bike.

Helms provides value to this team, in close & late situations.

Wes Helms 1b-3b

2 years/$5.45M (2007-08), plus $3.75M 2009 club option

Isn't it the case if a team turns down a club option, they cannot resign the player until May 1st. Cause there is no way in hell that option is being picked up even if a spaceship full of money landed on Loria's doorstep. Wes Helms is a decent bench guy. I find it very unlikely someone else won't sign him, let alone him and the Marlins waiting around till May 1st for each other. If I'm wrong with the May 1st thing, I could see Helms back on a small $1 mil deal. Still could probably do better than that though on free agency if he wants the cash versus the comfort.

Have to figure the Marlins will do their typical thing, and look at pending free agents like Kevin Millar, Daryle Ward, Cliff Floyd, Emil Brown, Morgan Ensberg, and maybe get really ambitious and go after a Juan Rivera, Nomar, or Sexson, and try to find that magic .800 OPS for relatively free in free agency.

Not a big deal either way. What's going to be a big deal is when our AA 1B and our AAA 3B are our starting corner infielders for the MLB team come next April.

Wes Helms 1b-3b

2 years/$5.45M (2007-08), plus $3.75M 2009 club option

Isn't it the case if a team turns down a club option, they cannot resign the player until May 1st. Cause there is no way in hell that option is being picked up even if a spaceship full of money landed on Loria's doorstep. Wes Helms is a decent bench guy. I find it very unlikely someone else won't sign him, let alone him and the Marlins waiting around till May 1st for each other. If I'm wrong with the May 1st thing, I could see Helms back on a small $1 mil deal. Still could probably do better than that though on free agency if he wants the cash versus the comfort.

Have to figure the Marlins will do their typical thing, and look at pending free agents like Kevin Millar, Daryle Ward, Cliff Floyd, Emil Brown, Morgan Ensberg, and maybe get really ambitious and go after a Juan Rivera, Nomar, or Sexson, and try to find that magic .800 OPS for relatively free in free agency.

Not a big deal either way. What's going to be a big deal is when our AA 1B and our AAA 3B are our starting corner infielders for the MLB team come next April.

Our "AA 1B" and "AAA 3B" have a comparable OPS+ to Miguel Cabrera, this year. As a matter of fact, Mike Jacobs and Miguel Cabrera each had an OPS+ of 117 entering the day, and Cantu had an OPS+ of 110.

Cantu's not really a 3B...he hasn't had tremendous experience at the position, and as you can see MOST of his errors are throwing errors...which are a result of a much longer throw than 2B (the position he used to play).

Unless if you're ready to call Miguel Cabrera an "AA 1B" (since he sucks defensively just like Jake, and has produced just about the same, offensively)...lets be a little patient with our guys too, no?

Fact is, Cantu is doing exactly what I expected him to do. He's done more than expected, offensively. 11 HR's in Early June is pretty good (more than the 'superstar' he replaced, right now), and has had some more errors than expected, but lets face it...Cantu wasn't expected to do well, defensively.