Uggla Trades

japerez86

Dan Uggla is by no means a certainty to be traded. However, we have all speculated that he will.

Concerning Uggla, what do you believe his trade value is on the current market and what position should a deal involving Uggla augment?

My assumption is that an Uggla deal would mean Coghlan is the opening day 2baseman.

keeping that in mind, please speculate as to which players Uggla could net with the proper combination and what positions a trade of Uggla should garner in return...

IMO, the marlins should get a Starting pitcher to slide Volstad and Anibal down a slot (Miller goes to the Pen).

My other option would be to get a LF. I have concerns about Hammer's health. If healthy, I think he is a cheap and intelligent solution.

This is my first new topic ever. I usually gather a lot of my trade speculation thoughts and insight from this board.

Go...

Dan Uggla is by no means a certainty to be traded. However, we have all speculated that he will.

Concerning Uggla, what do you believe his trade value is on the current market and what position should a deal involving Uggla augment?

My assumption is that an Uggla deal would mean Coghlan is the opening day 2baseman.

keeping that in mind, please speculate as to which players Uggla could net with the proper combination and what positions a trade of Uggla should garner in return...

IMO, the marlins should get a Starting pitcher to slide Volstad and Anibal down a slot (Miller goes to the Pen).

My other option would be to get a LF. I have concerns about Hammer's health. If healthy, I think he is a cheap and intelligent solution.

This is my first new topic ever. I usually gather a lot of my trade speculation thoughts and insight from this board.

Go...

Congratulation! Good topic! Dan Uggla's value is much higher than many actually would figure. I have stated before that maybe 10 or 15 teams in the majors would express serious interest in Uggla. He is probably one of the top power hitting 2nd baseman of all times. He is a great lockeroom guy. He is also very signable. It wouldn't take a huge offer for him to agree to a 5 year contract. Above all he is at his prime right now. Having said all that I have also expressed equitable value is not easy to come by. I would say it would be a young Major league player who will play everyday and can be plugged into the Marlins lineup from opening day (Probably a corner Outfielder), a solid reliever or an upper tier catching prospect. Preferibly the reliever IMO. Any trade would have to cover 2 of these needs, if not all three. The type of outfielder would be someone like Hunter Pence. Not many of those around

This is very speculative, but I suspect they would get an "A" level starting pitching prospect in AA or above, a decent 2nd prospect, and a third piece that is a nominal player (bench, bullpen). This is basically asking San Francisco for Aldersen or Bumgarner, someone else I can't think of off the top of my head, and someone like Hinshaw (RP) from their pen. That would be pretty tremendous.

Go...

A deal involving Uggla and Holliday...? :mischief

He was the second best 2b this season behind only Chase Utley, and that's only because of defense really (Utley had an obscene year defensively).

So yes, his value is very, very high.

Ian Kinsler was better.

1) Utley

2) Kinsler

3) Uggla

But Kinsler has had only one good offensive year as his defense along with the whole texas infield is pretty bad.

!)Utley

2) Uggla

3)Pedrioa

4)Kinsler

While I am definately on the "do not trade Uggla" side of this discussion, I think any and all trades we make should target a few things:

#1 a good hitting LF. Could even be a lop-sided player to platoon with Hermida if we keep him, but CF and RF are pretty well set, we just need a respectable bat in LF since Willingham will probably be gone.

#2 A Lefty SP. No offense to Oly, but he hasn't ever been consistent, and definately not enough for the top of the rotation. I really do not yet feel assured that Andrew Miller is finally ready, and so I'd like a 3rd LHP option for the rotation, preferably someone that can fit into the top 3.

#3 Bullpen. You can never have too many good bullpen arms, and unless Arthur Rhodes comes back, then especially LHP.

#4 A backup catcher if a better option is available. Baker has to have the starting job at this point, but the backup catcher isn't irrelevant, and if we can upgrade there it will help too.

This is very speculative, but I suspect they would get an "A" level starting pitching prospect in AA or above, a decent 2nd prospect, and a third piece that is a nominal player (bench, bullpen). This is basically asking San Francisco for Aldersen or Bumgarner, someone else I can't think of off the top of my head, and someone like Hinshaw (RP) from their pen. That would be pretty tremendous.

I believe this trade is workable, however, with Cain being dangled, how likely do you think the prospects would be let go?

Also, would these guys be ready for next year because the emphasis is on competing next year?

I believe this trade is workable, however, with Cain being dangled, how likely do you think the prospects would be let go?

Also, would these guys be ready for next year because the emphasis is on competing next year?

Uggla for Cain is 1-1

Aldersen or Bumgarner would be 2010 versions of Volstad. They need a year and a half minimum. The other guys who knows what else they would go for.

Uggla for Cain is 1-1

Aldersen or Bumgarner would be 2010 versions of Volstad. They need a year and a half minimum. The other guys who knows what else they would go for.

This is what frustrates me. I love Dan Uggla. but so many people seem to hate him or want him replaced with Coghlan and call Uggla a bonehead. But, we think his trade value is very high.

That being said, these trades would be pretty nice. I do like the Cain addition. the 2010 guys would be nice if we were just salary dumping, If the emphasis is on being ready to compete by the time the stadium is built and not next year, then i make the prospect deal.

Uggla for Cain is 1-1

This is what frustrates me. I love Dan Uggla. but so many people seem to hate him or want him replaced with Coghlan and call Uggla a bonehead. But, we think his trade value is very high.

That being said, these trades would be pretty nice. I do like the Cain addition. the 2010 guys would be nice if we were just salary dumping, If the emphasis is on being ready to compete by the time the stadium is built and not next year, then i make the prospect deal.

I think the majority of people like Dan, myself included. They are just realistic that with the FO statements about getting back to defense and speed as well as Dan's Extremely high value right now. Its better to cut ties with him now and see what we might get with him now rather than the chance his value drops for whatever reason.

I actually commend the board for the mature disscussion on trading Dan because there seriously has been some silly junk proposed on these boards in past offseasons.

BTW I think we need to seriously look at the lineup and make our suggestions from there. This team desperatly needs a #2 hitter. I assume that maybin is the CF next year and going by the past posts on the board the lineup would look like this:

1. CF Maybin

2. ?

3. SS Ramirez

4. 3rd or 1st Cantu(might be placed in 5th spot depending on what we get)

5. ?

6. C Baker (I think hes earned it)

7. RF Ross (yup i think Hermida is done here. I think it was evident when we were gonna get rid of him for a 2mo. rental of Manny.)

8. 2nd Coghlan

9. P

So with this laid out, we need a LF, 1st or 3rd basemen (I will believe we hand the 1B keys to Sanchez when it happens)

BTW I think we need to seriously look at the lineup and make our suggestions from there. This team desperatly needs a #2 hitter. I assume that maybin is the CF next year and going by the past posts on the board the lineup would look like this:

1. CF Maybin

2. ?

3. SS Ramirez

5. ?

7. RF Ross (yup i think Hermida is done here. I think it was evident when we were gonna get rid of him for a 2mo. rental of Manny.)

8. 2nd Coghlan

9. P

So with this laid out, we need a LF, 1st or 3rd basemen (I will believe we hand the 1B keys to Sanchez when it happens)

righties

1.Maybin

2.Baker

3.Ramirez

4.Uggla

5.Cantu

6.Hermida

7.Mcpherson

8.Ross

Lefties

1.Maybin

2.Sanchez

3.Ramirez

4.Uggla

5.Cantu

6.Hermida

7.ross

8.Catcher that can hit lefties

Hermida stays

1. CF Maybin

2. ?

3. SS Ramirez

5. ?

8. 2nd Coghlan

9. P

Without Uggla:

1. CF- Maybin

2. C- Baker

3. SS- Ramirez

4. 1B- Cantu

5. 3B- McPherson

6. LF- Ross

7. RF- Hermida

8. 2B- Coghlan

With Uggla:

1. CF- Maybin

2. C- Baker

3. SS- Ramirez

4. 1B- Cantu

5. 2B- Uggla

6. 3B- McPherson

7. LF- Ross

8. RF- Hermida

I think Baker should hit 2nd.

I think the organization agrees with you. I would do this.

vs RHP

CF Maybin R

SS Hanley R

C Baker L

2B Uggla R

RF Hermida L

1B Cantu/G. Sanchez R

3B McPherson L

LF Ross R

vs LHP

CF Maybin R

SS Hanley R

3B Cantu R

1B G. Sanchez R

LF Ross R

2B Uggla R

RF Hermida L

C Right Handed Catcher R

But I suspect they will do this, which I really don't mind (except if they send this out for LHP).

CF Maybin R

C Baker L

SS Hanley R

1B Cantu R

2B Uggla R

RF Hermida L

LF Ross R

3B McPherson L

I think the majority of people like Dan, myself included. They are just realistic that with the FO statements about getting back to defense and speed as well as Dan's Extremely high value right now. Its better to cut ties with him now and see what we might get with him now rather than the chance his value drops for whatever reason.

I actually commend the board for the mature disscussion on trading Dan because there seriously has been some silly junk proposed on these boards in past offseasons.

Again, I don't understand how we would be "getting back to defense" by replacing our best defensive starting IF of the last 3 seasons with a guy who had twice as many errors playing fewer games this year? Defensively and offensively, Dan Uggla is easily the best 2B in our organization and is top 3 in MLB. There isn't a sensible argument for trading Uggla besides salary dumping, and I don't even think that one is ultimately good enough right now.

Uggla for Cain is 1-1

You have to also remember that we, as fans, grossly overstate a players fault as well as grossly overstate a players prowess. I mean, you look at a lot of posts and Jacobs was one of the worst players in the majors this past season, whereas he was in actuality basically average. You look at a lot of posts and Cantu is one of the best, but in reality he was basically average. It's about looking at it as objectively as possible. This tends to be hard during the season as watching games makes you grossly overstate many negatives and positives of players, but it's easier to look at things objectively during the offseason when you're able to reflect on what they did as a whole.