October 20, 200817 yr This one surprised me, but Sherman throws a new name as a possibility on the trade market: Russell Martin. Sherman cites rival executives in saying that the Dodgers aren't "enamored with his makeup" and that with frontline catchers being hot commodities, the Dodgers could explore the market to see what Martin could bring in return. Personally, I think moving Martin would be a mistake, but I have to admit, Martin would indeed fetch a very nice return. per some NY Post writer - http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/sport...4316.htm?page=2 Obviously rumors are just that, but if we could add Russ Martin to our team, It would be an OUTSTANDING addition, and really the final key ingredient. If it took Olsen, and two pitching prospects, i'd do it in a heartbeat.
October 20, 200817 yr "not enamored with his makeup" where do they get this crap from? There is something not being said by the Dodgers. I wonder what their real motive is..
October 20, 200817 yr Author "not enamored with his makeup" where do they get this crap from? There is something not being said by the Dodgers. I wonder what their real motive is.. I now see this has been posted already a few pages back. My appologies.
October 20, 200817 yr I have read that he is available from a few different places. Whether it is true or not remains to be seen. At any rate, the asking price would be ridiculously high. The catchers market is so bad right now.
October 20, 200817 yr Author I have read that he is available from a few different places. Whether it is true or not remains to be seen. At any rate, the asking price would be ridiculously high. The catchers market is so bad right now. I can't imagine this is correct, but Cot's Contracts had Martin's service time at just 1.15 coming into this year??? If so, he's not Arb elligible even this offseason? Just checked it, and yes, Martin is still short of 3 years. I'm shocked. Russell Martin c 1 year/$0.5M (2008) re-signed 2/27/08 1 year/$0.3875M (2007), re-signed 3/07 1 year (2006), re-signed 2/06 1 year/$0.3M (2003) 2/03 drafted 2002 (17-511) (Chipola JC, FL), $40,000 signing bonus agent: Bob Garber ML service: 1.150
October 20, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker.
October 20, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker. teagarden would be a nice pickup. a righty to compliment baker that hit 6 homeruns in 16 games.
October 20, 200817 yr With the ok to spend some money, Admin better go after this guy. Russell is the only piece that we need to a definite playoff team. An outstanding defensive catcher and a patient hitter. I really hope we go and get him. I don't care if we have to trade half our damn AA team. Just get him.
October 20, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker. Texas wants to split those guys up and have one catch, one play 1st, and one DH. I don't think they're gonna trade any of them. Then again, we have what they need; pitching.
October 20, 200817 yr With the ok to spend some money, Admin better go after this guy. Russell is the only piece that we need to a definite playoff team. An outstanding defensive catcher and a patient hitter. I really hope we go and get him. I don't care if we have to trade half our damn AA team. Just get him. Baker had a better offensive season (in 300 less at bats)
October 20, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker. Texas wants to split those guys up and have one catch, one play 1st, and one DH. I don't think they're gonna trade any of them. Then again, we have what they need; pitching. unless they don't re-sign milton he'll probably be the DH and chris davis had a good year at 1st. i think out of all 3 they'd be most willing to trade salty because even though he's young they think he's a 1st baseman down the road, not a catcher.
October 20, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker. Texas wants to split those guys up and have one catch, one play 1st, and one DH. I don't think they're gonna trade any of them. Then again, we have what they need; pitching. They have Hank Blalock and Chris Davis. They will be trading Laird, and at least one of those three
October 20, 200817 yr With the ok to spend some money, Admin better go after this guy. Russell is the only piece that we need to a definite playoff team. An outstanding defensive catcher and a patient hitter. I really hope we go and get him. I don't care if we have to trade half our damn AA team. Just get him. Baker had a better offensive season (in 300 less at bats) Martin has a career .772 vs RHP, and that's been consistent over his whole career. No spikes. Just really consistent. He just hammers lefties. Baker hit .900+ vs RHP last year. Yes, sample size I know, and even if he has a huge regression (which I expect), he still is hitting more or the same than Martin versus 3/4ths the pitchers in the league. Add in a guy who can hit some lefties even a little, and this is getting very close to Martin's overall offense production. Yea, the other guy needs to play a little bit better defense too, but the point is - why trade a huge package for Martin, when we can get pretty close to him as is? For a lot cheaper. That's why you don't go after a big catcher.
October 20, 200817 yr Yeah I mean I hate to put all my eggs in that basket and say that Baker could be as good as he looked (or anywhere near it), but if that was in ANY way representative of what he can do with the bat over a full season, it doesn't seem to make sense to go and completely gut our minor leagues to get a catcher. Even if it's a package where Uggla's the centerpiece, that would still be dealing away our best piece for a position that may not be a huge need after all. And that's not even bringing Skipworth into the equation. Baker Baker Baker. I'm with Lou, go get a cheap platoon guy.
October 21, 200817 yr you guys are stupid honestly unless Russell Martin can be bought for a dollar or a taco the Marlins arent going to sign them. I really wish the administrator would use his brain and delete this useless and stupid thread :mis2 THE CORRECT WAY TO WRITE THIS IS: You guys are honestly stupid. The Marlins are not going to sign Russel Martin unless he costs a dollar or a taco. I really wish the forums Administrator would use his brain, and delete this useless and stupid thread. GOT IT? COODLES TOM! Well atleast you didn't forget the CAPITALS on Russel Martin. Word of advice: If you are trying to make the whole board look stupid than come prepared with your 8th grade textbook so you can punctuate your text correctly. Good luck next time special buddy! P.S. the Rays are going to sweep your Phillies. SWEEP? Ah it means that they will be beat in four games...........
October 21, 200817 yr Lets give the Dodgers Chris Coughlan, Scott Olsen, Mike Stanton and Eulugio De la Cruz.
October 21, 200817 yr A better idea is to get Teagarden, Saltalamacchia, or M. Ramirez for 1/4th the cost and platoon them with Baker. Why not just sign a free agent that hammers lefties? Brad Ausmus comes to mind. He could also mentor the young Baker.
October 21, 200817 yr Furthermore... Ausmus OPS against lefties: 2006: .663 2007: .666 2008: .780 He ain't the guy the Marlins should be looking for
October 21, 200817 yr Lets give the Dodgers Chris Coughlan, Scott Olsen, Mike Stanton and Eulugio De la Cruz. You bring up Mike Stanton's name again in any trade discussion and I will cut you.
October 21, 200817 yr Furthermore... Ausmus OPS against lefties: 2006: .663 2007: .666 2008: .780 He ain't the guy the Marlins should be looking for Decent plug in platoon partner while Baker learns to hit LHP. If the Marlins believe in his future, that is.
October 21, 200817 yr Decent plug in platoon partner while Baker learns to hit LHP. If the Marlins believe in his future, that is. Ausmus is going to retire. Think about Toby Hall if the ChiSox decline option, or David Ross, if you want to go the free agent route.
October 21, 200817 yr Decent plug in platoon partner while Baker learns to hit LHP. If the Marlins believe in his future, that is. Ausmus is going to retire. Think about Toby Hall if the ChiSox decline option, or David Ross, if you want to go the free agent route. Not too high on Ross and his .233/.319/.463/.782 career line vs LHP but I wouldn't be opposed to Hall if Ausmus does indeed hang 'em up.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.