Russell Martin Available???? GO GET HIM

Furthermore...

Ausmus OPS against lefties:

2006: .663

2007: .666

2008: .780

He ain't the guy the Marlins should be looking for

Decent plug in platoon partner while Baker learns to hit LHP. If the Marlins believe in his future, that is.

That's an extremely weak platoon partner.

Yea, I have no interest in a platoon partner with those numbers, nonetheless a 40-year-old one.

Decent plug in platoon partner while Baker learns to hit LHP. If the Marlins believe in his future, that is.

Ausmus is going to retire.

Think about Toby Hall if the ChiSox decline option, or David Ross, if you want to go the free agent route.

Not too high on Ross and his .233/.319/.463/.782 career line vs LHP but I wouldn't be opposed to Hall if Ausmus does indeed hang 'em up.

I would love to platoon Baker with a guy who can hit LHP at .782. That would be PHENOMENAL. I'm not saying Ross can do that anymore, but that would just be an incredibly jump in C offensive production combined with Baker.

If we were just looking for a FA catcher that hits LHP, why not just resign Lo Duca?

OPS vs LHP

2006: 834

2007: 876

2008: 607

Now that was a huge drop-off for 08, but consider the sample size and the fact that he was hurt most of the year as well. For August and September his OPS (overall) was around 750.

I am fearful they do this. I really don't want to go the veteran route. I would like us to get another young player to grow with Baker. I want a Snyder/Montero, Napoli/Mathis, type situation.

If we were just looking for a FA catcher that hits LHP, why not just resign Lo Duca?

OPS vs LHP

Now that was a huge drop-off for 08, but consider the sample size and the fact that he was hurt most of the year as well. For August and September his OPS (overall) was around 750.

I am fearful they do this. I really don't want to go the veteran route. I would like us to get another young player to grow with Baker. I want a Snyder/Montero, Napoli/Mathis, type situation.

I'd rather go the veteran route while we develop another good catcher from within. I'd rather they quietly acquire some minor league prospects who aren't as far along, mainly because any catcher who actually is both (known to be) very good and young will cost too much.

OPS vs LHP

I'd rather go the veteran route while we develop another good catcher from within. I'd rather they quietly acquire some minor league prospects who aren't as far along, mainly because any catcher who actually is both (known to be) very good and young will cost too much.

I don't mind the veteran route at all but I at least want one that has the body of someone younger than 80.

That counts Lo Duca out.

haven't had time to read all...is it true we might go after him or just fan speculation?

what do you think?

Does the sentence "Marlins trade for Russell Martin" really make sense to you?

The Marlins, sorry to say it, are still cheap. And they know Martin will be demanding a high salary soon enough. This is another meaningless thread just to speculate things that will never occur, and in the end the marlins stick with a Baker/Lo Duca platoon

haven't had time to read all...is it true we might go after him or just fan speculation?

what do you think?

The Marlins, sorry to say it, are still cheap. And they know Martin will be demanding a high salary soon enough. This is another meaningless thread just to speculate things that will never occur, and in the end the marlins stick with a Baker/Lo Duca platoon

But when that time comes we could trade Martin for more prospects.

what do you think?

But when that time comes we could trade Martin for more prospects.

But the Marlins would not trade for a guy at his peak. Martin is coming off back to back all star seasons. We would be giving a ton for him. The Marlins style is to trade for guys at there lowest values, building them into perrenial all stars, then trading them at their highest value

The Dodgers could use a guy like Chris Coghlan, with Jeff kent nearing the end.

Maybe a three player package starting with Chris Coghlan for Russell Martin and another prospect.

It would take A LOT more than that to get a Russell Martin.

Any trade to get him would have to start with Uggla. They would want a proven guy like Uggz, not Coughlen, a minor leaguer who is a below average fielder

The Dodgers could use a guy like Chris Coghlan, with Jeff kent nearing the end.

Maybe a three player package starting with Chris Coghlan for Russell Martin and another prospect.

instead of just Coghlan for Martin and a Dodger prospect.

Well you obviously read my post wrong.

I think you just misworded your post, because it sounded like the Dodgers were giving up another prospect.