Getting quick and deadly

cornfield

The Marlin team that I envision this coming season features Brian Roberts leading off and playing second base, Nate McLouth in left or center and batting second, Ramirez third. Roberts and McLouth are speedy baserunners, excellent fielders, and high on base percentage guys that will score runs! Presuming Uggla is traded elsewhere for pitching help, the players that net Roberts (6.5 mill) and McLouth ($425,000) are Jacobs, Hermida, Willingham, Olson and some minor leaguers. Roberts is 31 and McLouth is 27. This would be the fleetest top three hitters in all of baseball.

i personally don't think it is possible to get both roberts and mcclouth for those players. well, i don't think we could get roberts alone with those players. mcclouth i think could be had because there were rumors at the trade deadline about him going to the yankees. at this time from what i've read i think that uggla is going to stay with the marlins.

I love Brian Roberts as a ball player but i have little hope of him ever wearing a Marlins uniform. What it would cost us in prospects plus what he adds in salary just doesn't fit in with the focus of the franchise. McLouth is probably a better possibility, if the Pirates want Uggla I could see the young CF included in a package in return.

All these big names being brought up and people believing the marlins have a shot. I love the side conversations, but we all know in reality that it is the marlins we are talking about. We are not going to get the big names via trade or free agency. We get the big names from the draft, or develop them via free agency. But most importantly, the marlins usually sign a player for small cash and make him into a good player. aka Jorge Cantu last year.

And why the hell would you go after a Brian Roberts who will, A) Cost you more than Uggla in price, B) Cost you a sh*t load off the farm and, C) We have another internal option in Coghlan.

There is no way we will be trading FOR another second baseman, when we already have one too many.

And why the hell would you go after a Brian Roberts who will, A) Cost you more than Uggla in price, B) Cost you a sh*t load off the farm and, C) We have another internal option in Coghlan.

There is no way we will be trading FOR another second baseman, when we already have one too many.

:notworthy WELL SAID. But we still appreciate the post.

Dan Uggla > Brian Roberts. Nevermind the fact that Uggla would cost us way less to keep than Brian Roberts would to acquire.

This team doesn't need to load up the top of the order anymore anyway. You have two guys (Hanley & Maybin) who can be very good leadoff hitters, and then Baker who fits perfectly in the #2 spot. The guys we need are gonn fill the middle and bottom of the batting order, and Dan Uggla fits that much better.

And someone else already mentioned, that even if we were to trade away Uggla, you could just rush Coghlan to the big leagues and save the rest of the farm.