Chad Cordero?

Fish4Life

I don't think Nelson will cost more than 750-800k to sign. Considering the solid season he had, as well as his experience to complement a young bullpen, I think there's a good chance the FO brings him back.

Well, the Marlins usually replace experienced journeymen relievers, like Nelson.

To be honest, I'm not sure what Doug Waechter's contract situation is...but I'd rather have Waechter over Nelson.

What puts Waechter over Nelson?

I don't think Nelson will cost more than 750-800k to sign. Considering the solid season he had, as well as his experience to complement a young bullpen, I think there's a good chance the FO brings him back.

Well, the Marlins usually replace experienced journeymen relievers, like Nelson.

To be honest, I'm not sure what Doug Waechter's contract situation is...but I'd rather have Waechter over Nelson.

His age & versatility.

I'd take the Chief for the right price. I'm not gonna assume like everyone else what his going price will be though. If we can sign him on the cheap, he wouldn't be the first person to get a chance to sink or swim down here. If that happens, then whether his reclamation project turns out to be the pitching equivalent of Jacques Jones or Jorge Cantu remains to be seen.

But I do agree that if he costs too much, you have to pass. He doesn't merit a large investment right now, even if the need for a solid closer is as well pronounced now as ever.

His age & versatility.

Nelson had the better season out of the two. Even though I liked Waechter in the long relief role during the first half last year, his value diminished after the rotation solidified. We have more demand for situational guys like Nelson rather than mop-up guys. Plus we have plenty of guys who can fill that role if necessary.

Nelson was used more as a match-up guy and was an option with runners on. Also, he was excellent in stranding runners and held righties to a .189 average. I don't see how versatility is an issue with him.

As for age, that holds little weight for the roles these guys are serving. If anything, Waechter is more of an injury risk than Nelson. We have enough young guys in the pen.

Bring him as a non-roster invitee, see what he's got in Spring Training. But I really think he is done as being a closer, even an 8th inning guy for that matter.

Why is he done? I like Lindstrom, but Cordero has more than 120 career saves, a career ERA below 3, and he's younger than Lindstrom and most any other credible candidate for closer.

No. There is no point for the team to make the move with Nelson, Nunez, Tank and Lindstrom competing for the CL role

Tank will be competing just to start the season on the 25 man roster, he is not in the closer mix. I'm not sure that Nu?ez is either.

Bring him as a non-roster invitee, see what he's got in Spring Training. But I really think he is done as being a closer, even an 8th inning guy for that matter.

Why is he done? I like Lindstrom, but Cordero has more than 120 career saves, a career ERA below 3, and he's younger than Lindstrom and most any other credible candidate for closer.

He has major arm issues

He has major arm issues

Which would make him likely cheap and low risk. Again, the worst that could happen is that he collapses in ST and goes the way of CF Alex Sanchez. On the flip side, its not inconceivable, even if it is unlikely, that he returns to form after the torn labrum.

Waecther was released.

Well, minor league FA at the end of the year, he's currently on our AAA team until he can file for free agency.

But he was placed on waivers in OCT and not a single team put a claim on him, so no other team wanted Weachter for the 700k? he'd have gotten in arbitration.