Random Pen News

MarlinsLou

Beinfest said any one of several candidates could serve as the Marlins' long man out of the bullpen next season.

That list includes, among others, Rick VandenHurk and left-handers Aaron Thompson and Dan Meyer, whom the Marlins claimed off waivers Monday from the Oakland A's.

''I think any of our young pitchers can do it,'' Beinfest said. ``You could pick anybody. You could pick VandenHurk if he doesn't make the rotation.''

Herald

First time I've seen the organization say Vanden Hurk is a reliever. About damn time. :thumbup

This is writing on the wall for the pen.

Lindstrom

Nunez

Nelson

Pinto

Cruz

Kensing/Delgado/Tank

Meyer/Vanden Hurk/Thompson

I think Cruz is a lock at this point because he is out of options, has a big arm, and was part of the Cabrera trade. Cruz also profiles as an above average reliever long term with that fastball. Beinfest does not give up on 98+ mph fastballs. The 6th slot is the "other" two guys out of options and Tank. The 7th "the long reliever" Beinfest speaks of. I feel Meyer is going to be given every opportunity to take this slot because he is a lefty, and Vanden Hurk and Thompson have milb options. I'm guessing if Meyer sucks, they would carry Vanden Hurk and Tank (who has an option so no fear of losing him if not on the 25 man roster) in the last 2 slots and not really worry about DFAing Kensing or Delgado. Of course a trade of one of the last guys as a thrown in with Olsen or Gregg could shake things up, but this is probably what we're looking at entering the season.

I don't mind Tucker and Mobley (our best two RP prospects) starting the year in AAA. Could always come up midseason due to injuries or shoddy performance. Thompson should be starting in AA.

That's a great call you made a couple years ago on Vanden Hurk, Lou. I hope he sticks in the bullpen, I love his arm.

Thanks, but I mean. If you don't have a good third pitch, you don't have a good third pitch. We spotted this with Tucker a year after he was drafted, Vanden Hurk rather immediately, Cruz too, etc. These guys with the insane fastballs (I think it's fair to say these three all have top 5 fastballs in our organization regardless of MLB/MILB) just rear back and throw. Chuck in Lindstrom here too. They aren't going to be starters. Fastball-Slider/Break, done. Try and hit. No guesswork. Use their arms as max effort over 25 pitches versus stretching them out for 100.

Thompson and West can actually throw legitimate 2nd and 3rd breaking stuff so they have shots for starters. It would be nice to get a third good starter at the AA/AAA though. I don't think Sinkbiel, Winters, or Junkball Taylor fit this mold.

Because I see things the way I do (right or wrong) I read this and say to myself "this is an extension of Beinfest's strategy of diminishing the perceived need the Marlins may have in any particular area whether it's true or not is irrelevant". This time of the year Admin and the guys have only one constituency, their peers, not the fans, not the press.

It would be nice if these guys can step up and fill a void but if someone wants to hand the Fish a quality reliever in a trade for fillintheblank, you gotta know they're jumping on the opportunity.

That's a great call you made a couple years ago on Vanden Hurk, Lou. I hope he sticks in the bullpen, I love his arm.

It would be nice to get a third good starter at the AA/AAA though. I don't think Sinkbiel, Winters, or Junkball Taylor fit this mold.

A Hector Rondon for Kevin Gregg deal works well to fill that role. Wonder if the Indians would do that? Concur though that we still need one more SP arm in that level, how do you feel about reports coming out about the Marlins going after Pavano? Obviously you can't rely on a guy like that at this point, but if the Marlins did sign a veteran arm like that for the starting rotation, it could push a guy like Andrew Miller back down to the AAA level for even more seasoning and give us another year to see what we have in the low A guys like Blake Brewer, Hand, Olmos etc...

Because I see things the way I do (right or wrong) I read this and say to myself "this is an extension of Beinfest's strategy of diminishing the perceived need the Marlins may have in any particular area whether it's true or not is irrelevant". This time of the year Admin and the guys have only one constituency, their peers, not the fans, not the press.

It would be nice if these guys can step up and fill a void but if someone wants to hand the Fish a quality reliever in a trade for fillintheblank, you gotta know they're jumping on the opportunity.

I don't disagree. They can handle one more the way I see it (include Rhodes here, not just someone giving a handout, although it's unlikely we would pay Rhodes $3 bills). If we assume Lindstrom, Nunez, Nelson, Pinto, and Cruz are locks. Taking everyone with options left and putting them in AAA, we're left with Kensing, Delgado, and Meyer. I can see them trading one along with Gregg/Olsen, and DFAing Delgado or Meyer and hoping the sneak through, but I can't see them just dumping 3 arms because they are bringing in veterans/whoever. That's not Beinfest's MO. He loves to retain talent or get value from players.

The Marlins "second team" bullpen of Tucker, Tank, Vanden Hurk, Mobley, Doolittle, Badenhop, and Owens, is pretty damn ridiculous as well.

It would be nice to get a third good starter at the AA/AAA though. I don't think Sinkbiel, Winters, or Junkball Taylor fit this mold.

A Hector Rondon for Kevin Gregg deal works well to fill that role. Wonder if the Indians would do that? Concur though that we still need one more SP arm in that level, how do you feel about reports coming out about the Marlins going after Pavano? Obviously you can't rely on a guy like that at this point, but if the Marlins did sign a veteran arm like that for the starting rotation, it could push a guy like Andrew Miller back down to the AAA level for even more seasoning and give us another year to see what we have in the low A guys like Blake Brewer, Hand, Olmos etc...

Boy, isn't it nice to be in a position to nitpick about the difference between 2 and 3 potential starters in AA/AAA? This makes me happy.

And considering all the reports about how we had no position players in the minors, it certainly feels like this has turned around - maybe our position player depth isn't the best, I admit I don't know; but with the superstar numbers out of Morrison, Stanton, Dominguez, and great potential of Skipworth + others, I'm excited.

If Pavano could somehow make the rotation, I might consider starting Anibal in the minors instead of Miller. Anibal had similar control problems and might need more polish. Assuming we trade Olsen, if we send down Miller, we have 5 RHP, and a bullpen that also figures to have some difficulties getting lefties out.

Considering Gregg is bringing back two draft picks after 2009, I'd want something more advanced. David Huff works for me. Would love to plop him in NOLA for the year.

I think we are a year away from projecting anything from Hand, Olmos, and Brewer even if the BA draft report is encouraging. This goes for Skip and Galloway as well.

The Marlins "second team" bullpen of Tucker, Tank, Vanden Hurk, Mobley, Doolittle, Badenhop, and Owens, is pretty damn ridiculous as well.

I really hope Carlos Martinez can put it back together again one day. What a sad story for him, he looked outstanding in his one week stint with the big league club and that spring training...

I really hope Carlos Martinez can put it back together again one day. What a sad story for him, he looked outstanding in his one week stint with the big league club and that spring training...

I loved Martinez's stuff, and I can't wait to see him healthy again. He was the definition of disgusting...

It's got little to do with health as to why he hasn't made it back to the majors.

He has an issue with authority figures.

Link? I'd be really interested to read about that.

I have no link for you. You'll have to take my word for it.

Unfortunately, that's not worth much.

I'm sure one of Lou or Godfather has heard something similar to what I have posted. :thumbup

It's got little to do with health as to why he hasn't made it back to the majors.

He has an issue with authority figures.

Link? I'd be really interested to read about that.

I have no link for you. You'll have to take my word for it.

Unfortunately, that's not worth much.

I'm sure one of Lou or Godfather has heard something similar to what I have posted. :thumbup

C-Mart's a jerk. He is an after thought right now.

No, he's got legit attitude issues. I'm not making crap up to thump my chest. He doesn't respect authority. The reason why he hasn't been back in the bigs has nothing to do with injury, it has to do with maturity.

Maybe he'll mellow out at some point.

I didn't think you were making it up, I just was curious if there were any articles about it.

I hope he mellows, too.

A long reliever usually comes in when the game is out of hand to give innings.

I certainly hope that isn't going to be Vanden Hurk's role next year. Vanden Hurk is the type of guy with his stuff who could pitch in important innings, later on in games.

Long relievers are usually journeymen, anyways. The last thing I'm worried about is a long reliever.