Schoolgirl knuckleballer headed to Japan pro league

yokofox33

No idea where to post this, but "Other Sports" seemed appropriate. Marlins should have turned to her for some bullpen help! Still a neat story though.

TOKYO (AFP) ? A 16-year-old schoolgirl with a mean knuckleball has been selected as the first woman ever to play alongside the men in Japanese professional baseball.

Eri Yoshida was drafted for a new independent league that will launch in April, drawing attention for a side-armed knuckler that her future manager Yoshihiro Nakata said was a marvel.

"I never dreamed of getting drafted," Yoshida told reporters Monday, a day after she was selected to play for the Kobe 9 Cruise.

"I have only just been picked by the team and have not achieved anything," she said. "I want to play as a pro eventually in a higher league."

Yoshida, 155 centimetres (five feet) tall and weighing 52 kilograms (114 pounds), says she wants to follow in the footsteps of the great Boston Red Sox knuckleballer Tim Wakefield.

A female professional baseball federation existed for a few years in the 1950s, but Yoshida will become Japan's first-ever woman to play alongside professional male players.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081117/sp_wl...ll_081117063048

Yeah, I saw this article this morning too, awesome

Pending some kind of success (Sidearm knuckler, wtf) I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a HUGE name and play in the WBC and all that jazz...

she was drafted in a new independent league that's trying to get attention.

Let's not go overboard.

Pending some kind of success (Sidearm knuckler, wtf) I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a HUGE name and play in the WBC and all that jazz...

Let's not go overboard.

lol

Either way, it would be pretty awesome if she was pitching in the WBC!!!!

Let's not go overboard.

I did say "Pending some kind of success"... that entails getting through a more established league

Let's not go overboard.

lol

Either way, it would be pretty awesome if she was pitching in the WBC!!!!

My God!!! Why would you say that? Some of us and a lot of people in the world actually care about the WBC and see it as a true World Championship. Why would you want it ruined with a "Danica Patrick" type stunt?

My God!!! Why would you say that? Some of us and a lot of people in the world actually care about the WBC and see it as a true World Championship. Why would you want it ruined with a "Danica Patrick" type stunt?

If she's good... is it really a Danica Patrick stunt?

Gotta admit, a side-armed knuckle baller would be hard to prepare for

^Exactly, plus do you really think the Japanese are going to put someone on the team who is not a good baseball palye and who will hamper their chances of winning? Then you must not know a lot about Japanese baseball, they want to win...

By saying I want I Danica Patrick "stunt" I'm guessing you mean that I just want her to be in the WBC because she's pretty or something, well buddy I don't even know what the girl looks like, I just think it would be awesome if she was good enough to make the Japanese team, so please read carefully before you accuse someone of not caring about the WBC.

^Exactly, plus do you really think the Japanese are going to put someone on the team who is not a good baseball palye and who will hamper their chances of winning? Then you must not know a lot about Japanese baseball, they want to win...

By saying I want I Danica Patrick "stunt" I'm guessing you mean that I just want her to be in the WBC because she's pretty or something, well buddy I don't even know what the girl looks like, I just think it would be awesome if she was good enough to make the Japanese team, so please read carefully before you accuse someone of not caring about the WBC.

I think he was implying that she would get too much of a gender advantage.

I think he was implying that she would get too much of a gender advantage.

How does this "gender advantage" work, last I checked Danica's car isn't faster than anyone's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.