January 10, 200917 yr Busy Red Sox add reliever Saito Ex-LA closer joins Penny, Smoltz, Baldelli as Boston signees By Bill Ladson / MLB.com The Red Sox continue to stay busy this offseason. On Saturday, they signed reliever Takashi Saito to a one-year contract with a club option for 2010, a Major League source confirmed. Saito is the fourth player has Boston signed this week, joining pitchers John Smoltz and Brad Penny and outfielder Rocco Baldelli. Like the trio, Saito is considered a low-risk, high-reward gamble. Saito missed most of last season with a sprained ligament in his right elbow. According to FOXSports.com, Saito's deal includes a guarantee between $1.5 million and $2.5 million. He could also earn more than $7 million if he reaches all of his incentives. Saito, 38, joins an already impressive relief corps that includes Manny Delcarmen, Hideki Okajima and closer Jonathan Papelbon. Saito spent the past three years with the Dodgers, saving 81 games with a 1.95 ERA. Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. WOW! Busy week for the Sox, The also reached an agreement with Kotsay... I personally think all of their moves this week were excellent!
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far.
January 10, 200917 yr According to the Boston Herald they're bringing back Kotsay too! I like the make-up of the team the Rays better get busy if they want to hold off the challengers
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean.
January 10, 200917 yr Author According to the Boston Herald they're bringing back Kotsay too! I like the make-up of the team the Rays better get busy if they want to hold off the challengers They have already closed that deal... Hes been resigned
January 10, 200917 yr Great moves for the Red Sox. they knew they had a core and needed pieces to fit aorund the team, and that is what they have done. If they make a trade for Salty they will pretty much be a complete team.
January 10, 200917 yr Kotsay, Penny, Smoltz, Saito, and Baldelli!!! Wow, I bet the Sox beat the Yankees this year....the Yanks will be overrated and their pitching will get hurt. Girardi is not a good manager.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. That is exactly what I mean. Hell, a few one year deals here and there w/ solid players. In addition, they still have a core group of young players talented enough to contribute in the years to come. They have maintained themselves competitive this year and still have kept their young kids around to learn from these older cats. Nice.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. That is exactly what I mean. Hell, a few one year deals here and there w/ solid players. In addition, they still have a core group of young players talented enough to contribute in the years to come. They have maintained themselves competitive this year and still have kept their young kids around to learn from these older cats. Nice. The Yanks, on the other hand, have handed out a number of ridiculous contracts that will come back and bite them in the ass just like the Pavano and Brown deals given years past. I don't care for either team but you have to give the Red Sox credit.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries 1 year deals = less risky.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come. Bingo. Yankees find a guy who has a bad arm and give him 4 years.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come. Bingo. Yankees find a guy who has a bad arm and give him 4 years. :lol made me laugh out loud, because it is so true. Yankees have to be the worst team in evaluating any talent. The reason they maintain to be good is because for every 10 players 3 or so will work. They have horrible management. I do not think it is all Cashman either. I think they have grown a decent farm. It's good ole George and Hank being impulsive about a lot of things.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come. If the only criteria by which you are judging each signing is their length then yes, each one has merit. But every player involved has significant issues that can't be ignored. Mark Kotsay couldn't earn a roster spot on the Marlins, I don't think Baldelli could either, or Penny, and it's not just about the money. The real reason there is a perception of less risk is because the Red Sox are financially an elite team, one of maybe eight or so who can afford to throw s*** against the wall and see what sticks. At least half the baseball teams in the MLB couldn't take the risk of (as a group) doing those signings.
January 10, 200917 yr If the only criteria by which you are judging each signing is their length then yes, each one has merit. But every player involved has significant issues that can't be ignored. Mark Kotsay couldn't earn a roster spot on the Marlins, I don't think Baldelli could either Yeah...you're wrong here.
January 10, 200917 yr INcredible. Great offseason thus far. I'd say much smarter way of approaching the season than the Yankees. Solid Solid signings thus far. The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come. If the only criteria by which you are judging each signing is their length then yes, each one has merit. But every player involved has significant issues that can't be ignored. Mark Kotsay couldn't earn a roster spot on the Marlins, I don't think Baldelli could either, or Penny, and it's not just about the money. The real reason there is a perception of less risk is because the Red Sox are financially an elite team, one of maybe eight or so who can afford to throw s*** against the wall and see what sticks. At least half the baseball teams in the MLB couldn't take the risk of (as a group) doing those signings. Here is where I have to disagree w/ you. The idea that this is only a perception. It is not. If one of these guys tanks, the Sox have the resources to go out mid season and pick up a replacement anywhere. If it were the Royals, on the other hand, they would not have that luxury. That is why I disagree that this is mere perception. This IS less of a risk, not mere perception for the Sox. Let's be honest, you don't honestly think that ALL of these guys are going to fail. I'll say that the most of these signings will be successful. Maybe a small percentage will not pan out. But that is, again, a luxury the Sox can afford. They can have some failure within these signings. As for Baldelli or Kotsay not being able to earn a spot on the Marlins, that is irrelevant. They are both bench players for the Boston Red Sox right now. It is a good fit for both of these individuals. If Baldelli is not feeling well one day, Kotsay can pick up the slack and visa ersa. On most MLB rosters, both of these individuals are starters. Again, good signings for the Red Sox.
January 10, 200917 yr The Red Sox moves have been less risky, if that's what you mean. How is it less risky? Smoltz- bad arm Penny- bad arm Saito- Bad arm Baldeli- Has a desease that makes him tired Kotsay- Hitting has gone down and has a history of injuries B/c they are all short deals. That is why it is less risky. If any of them get hurt, who cares. Its only for a year. I the Yanks players get hurt, they will feel it for years to come. If the only criteria by which you are judging each signing is their length then yes, each one has merit. But every player involved has significant issues that can't be ignored. Mark Kotsay couldn't earn a roster spot on the Marlins, I don't think Baldelli could either, or Penny, and it's not just about the money. The real reason there is a perception of less risk is because the Red Sox are financially an elite team, one of maybe eight or so who can afford to throw s*** against the wall and see what sticks. At least half the baseball teams in the MLB couldn't take the risk of (as a group) doing those signings. Here is where I have to disagree w/ you. The idea that this is only a perception. It is not. If one of these guys tanks, the Sox have the resources to go out mid season and pick up a replacement anywhere. If it were the Royals, on the other hand, they would not have that luxury. That is why I disagree that this is mere perception. This IS less of a risk, not mere perception for the Sox. Let's be honest, you don't honestly think that ALL of these guys are going to fail. I'll say that the most of these signings will be successful. Maybe a small percentage will not pan out. But that is, again, a luxury the Sox can afford. They can have some failure within these signings. As for Baldelli or Kotsay not being able to earn a spot on the Marlins, that is irrelevant. They are both bench players for the Boston Red Sox right now. It is a good fit for both of these individuals. If Baldelli is not feeling well one day, Kotsay can pick up the slack and visa ersa. On most MLB rosters, both of these individuals are starters. Again, good signings for the Red Sox. Beat me to it and just adding... I agree :thumbup
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.