Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bonifacio, overrated?

Featured Replies

Discuss all you want, just don't try to censor people. Also, don't post the same opinion over and over again. Ok, so you have already proven how you are capable of advanced forms of comparing players (looking at stat sheets). Why rain on someones parade because they notice that EB and Castillo have a few (read: many) things in common?

 

Whats so laughable is how long the list of things they have in common is, yet somehow WB is an idiot for pointing them out. Its so annoying how people will only be satisfied when everyone sees things they way they do. Or at least until the people with other viewpoints stop posting. YOU chose to focus on stats. That does not make every other way of looking at things wrong, or stupid.

no, we'll post whatever we like

---------

And so will we.

 

wow, you learned about the 1st amendment. now learn the difference between positive and negative behavior on an internet forum.

Basically let's stop discussing things.

 

Who gives a sh*t if the guy looks like Luis if he doesn't play like him? That ultimately means nothing and brings nothing to any conversation.

 

My point about not liking superficial comparisons was that they don't add anything to the conversation and ultimately are a sign that you aren't willing to go beyond the surface in comparing players, which leads to a lot of inaccurate comparisons based on superficiality. Like this one.

 

Bob, you are right. i am done discussing things with YOU. I was bringing my personal observation to the conversation. I am willing to dig past the surface, but my observation, AS STATED, was not based on statistics. Although their statistics dont match, I still back my OPINION up.

Discuss all you want, just don't try to censor people. Also, don't post the same opinion over and over again. Ok, so you have already proven how you are capable of advanced forms of comparing players (looking at stat sheets). Why rain on someones parade because they notice that EB and Castillo have a few (read: many) things in common?

 

Whats so laughable is how long the list of things they have in common is, yet somehow WB is an idiot for pointing them out. Its so annoying how people will only be satisfied when everyone sees things they way they do. Or at least until the people with other viewpoints stop posting. YOU chose to focus on stats. That does not make every other way of looking at things wrong, or stupid.

 

THANK YOU! someone sees where I am coming from! :thumbup

no, we'll post whatever we like

---------

And so will we.

 

wow, you learned about the 1st amendment. now learn the difference between positive and negative behavior on an internet forum.

 

 

Why?

It's not as if the people I constantly argue with are very nice either.

 

Plus, what negative behavior? We're just debating.

 

Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive, hmmkay?

no, we'll post whatever we like

---------

And so will we.

 

wow, you learned about the 1st amendment. now learn the difference between positive and negative behavior on an internet forum.

 

 

Why?

It's not as if the people I constantly argue with are very nice either.

 

Plus, what negative behavior? We're just debating.

 

Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive, hmmkay?

 

I'm not sensitive, bro, I'm just trying to help foster an atmosphere where people are not afraid of posting things that don't relate or conform to statistical analysis.

 

Be an asshole if you want, thats fine. But at the very least acknowledge people's right to have an opinion based on something other than stats. This issue doesnt even concern you, anyway, Erick. Its about Bob posting 3 straight times "I don't like superficial comparisons" when he really means "I don't accept things that aren't rooted in statistics"

 

He hijacked the thread completely. First he brought up the Luis Castillo comparison, then went on and on about how he hates it. It was all an excuse to talk about EB's poor minor league numbers.

 

Whatever, its just the same conversation over and over again with some of you guys. So tiresome.

God damnit, it goes beyond statistics. Their approach at the plate isn't the same. Why is this so hard to see?

 

I wasn't basing my comparison off of statistics, and I wasn't looking to. I know the statistics, I know your point. I see it. I know Castillo was more patient at the plate. My comparison was a simple observation of my perception of the two player's movements. Simply put, Bonifacio makes me feel a little nostalgic. You guys all took my observation way too far. I'm done here.

Basically let's stop discussing things.

 

Who gives a sh*t if the guy looks like Luis if he doesn't play like him? That ultimately means nothing and brings nothing to any conversation.

 

My point about not liking superficial comparisons was that they don't add anything to the conversation and ultimately are a sign that you aren't willing to go beyond the surface in comparing players, which leads to a lot of inaccurate comparisons based on superficiality. Like this one.

 

You know who Bonerface reminds ME of... Scott Podsednik... in terms of "tools" and abilities... fast, slap hitter with limited OBP skills and a propensity for striking out.

 

Mannerisms and "Swagger"* I mean, yeah, cool so-and-so reminds somebody of somebody else, but like Bob's saying, it's ultimately a meaningless surface statement, that while it doesn't need to be attacked, also can't be backed up, so it has no point.

 

Regarding the comparison of Lui and Boner being an insult to Lui, yes, it is an insult to Lui and everything he did for this franchise. Just because they're hispanic and fast is not reason enough, let Boner do something for a whole season for this franchise before we start trivializing the things Luis did.

 

And now for Swagger... WTF is that? Seriously... if someone tells me "It's the way someone carries himself" they're wrong, because we have NO idea how someone carries themself... we can speculate how it LOOKS like he carries himself, but again, it doesn't really matter either. It's like when it rains in Russia when I tie my shoes, yes, the two may happen simultaneously every now and then, but they're probably not necessarily related.

no, we'll post whatever we like

---------

And so will we.

 

wow, you learned about the 1st amendment. now learn the difference between positive and negative behavior on an internet forum.

 

 

Why?

It's not as if the people I constantly argue with are very nice either.

 

Plus, what negative behavior? We're just debating.

 

Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive, hmmkay?

 

maybe the people you argue with aren't very nice because you make absurd comments and pull unnecessary arguments out of your a**.

Be an asshole if you want, thats fine. But at the very least acknowledge people's right to have an opinion based on something other than stats. This issue doesnt even concern you, anyway, Erick. Its about Bob posting 3 straight times "I don't like superficial comparisons" when he really means "I don't accept things that aren't rooted in statistics".

 

No, it means "I don't like superficial comparisons". As in, comparisons that have no intention of looking at anything beyond the surface. If you want that to mean "BOBBOB ONLY CARES BOUT DAY STATS!!" it can. But I very much dislike comparisons that are simply skin deep.

 

I'll bring up a point I brought up earlier that nobody responded to. If Emilio Bonifacio was white, would he remind you of Luis Castillo or Eric Reed?

no, we'll post whatever we like

---------

And so will we.

 

wow, you learned about the 1st amendment. now learn the difference between positive and negative behavior on an internet forum.

 

 

Why?

It's not as if the people I constantly argue with are very nice either.

 

Plus, what negative behavior? We're just debating.

 

Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive, hmmkay?

 

maybe the people you argue with aren't very nice because you make absurd comments and pull unnecessary arguments out of your a**.

 

 

Oh please.

"Your Man" has come on 2 threads the past 2 days just to insult me, for no reason, whatsoever.

 

If you can't take it, don't dish it.

I'm not sensitive, bro, I'm just trying to help foster an atmosphere where people are not afraid of posting things that don't relate or conform to statistical analysis.

 

Be an asshole if you want, thats fine. But at the very least acknowledge people's right to have an opinion based on something other than stats. This issue doesnt even concern you, anyway, Erick. Its about Bob posting 3 straight times "I don't like superficial comparisons" when he really means "I don't accept things that aren't rooted in statistics"

 

He hijacked the thread completely. First he brought up the Luis Castillo comparison, then went on and on about how he hates it. It was all an excuse to talk about EB's poor minor league numbers.

 

Whatever, its just the same conversation over and over again with some of you guys. So tiresome.

 

You're wrong there, see, that just goes to show a baseless claim. Have you ever talked baseball one-on-one with Bobbob? I HIGHLY doubt you have, but you're willing to assign a blanket train of thought to someone without going further.

 

Fact is, saying Bonifacio is ANYTHING like Castillo at this point is superficial. Fine, if that's your take, super, but it just as someone can say they like it... someone is equally equipped to say they don't like it. It's not even statistics, it's that Castillo was a GREAT player, Bonifacio hasn't proven himself great at any level over a prolonged period, let him do that first.

Be an asshole if you want, thats fine. But at the very least acknowledge people's right to have an opinion based on something other than stats. This issue doesnt even concern you, anyway, Erick. Its about Bob posting 3 straight times "I don't like superficial comparisons" when he really means "I don't accept things that aren't rooted in statistics".

 

No, it means "I don't like superficial comparisons". As in, comparisons that have no intention of looking at anything beyond the surface. If you want that to mean "BOBBOB ONLY CARES BOUT DAY STATS!!" it can. But I very much dislike comparisons that are simply skin deep.

 

I'll bring up a point I brought up earlier that nobody responded to. If Emilio Bonifacio was white, would he remind you of Luis Castillo or Eric Reed?

 

i responded to that. I said if he were white, black or green, he still would- in my eyes. I'm sorry my observation didn't fit your statistical requirements of a worthy statement. ( I know it sounds stupid, and I know you say its not all you concern yourself with, but after arguing with you and you failing to accept that I, while understanding the stats, wasn't basing my observation of of them, its all I have gathered about you.) enjoy the game. My opinion is not changed a bit.

i responded to that. I said if he were white, black or green, he still would- in my eyes. I'm sorry my observation didn't fit your statistical requirements of a worthy statement. ( I know it sounds stupid, and I know you say its not all you concern yourself with, but after arguing with you and you failing to accept that I, while understanding the stats, wasn't basing my observation of of them, its all I have gathered about you.) enjoy the game. My opinion is not changed a bit.

 

"Fit my statistical requirements of a worth statement"?

 

Really?

 

Come on. That's such a dumb thing to say. And you admitted as such and still said it. It doesn't f***ing mean anything.

 

And you'll have to forgive me for not believing that his race/nationality has nothing to do with it. You can say it, but that doesn't mean I'll believe it. Do you see Luis when you watch Podsednik play?

Fact is, saying Bonifacio is ANYTHING like Castillo at this point is superficial. Fine, if that's your take, super, but it just as someone can say they like it... someone is equally equipped to say they don't like it. It's not even statistics, it's that Castillo was a GREAT player, Bonifacio hasn't proven himself great at any level over a prolonged period, let him do that first.

 

we all conceded that point long ago... but it wasn't enough.

 

ok, their plate approach is different too.

 

there are still many things they have in common - many, many things.

 

I dont even care, though. I honestly dont give two sh!ts about EB and Castillo's similarities. I just hate to see someone get attacked, and for what? For making an observation that was too superficial for the resident geniuses' amazingly complex and analytical minds.... [edit]

Who is being attacked?

 

"Everytime I see him, I'm reminded of Castillo. His appearance, his swagger, his performance."

 

Wild Card on the first page.

 

I raised the observation? Yes? That's interesante.

 

 

That was a good edit, but you might want to go back and edit the times you said it before, and maybe change your train of thought since I'm not sure how I hijacked the thread or trolled anyone.

whatever, just be nice.

 

[edit] you hijacked the thread when you posted "i just dont like superficial comparisons" 3 times in a row. as if that somehow invalidates Mr. and Mrs. Wild's observation/impression.

there are still many things they have in common - many, many things.

 

 

 

The fact that they're both Dominican, and they both wear #1 should be irrelevant, however.

whatever, just be nice.

 

Are you going to lecture everyone on being nice, or just people you disagree with? Because if you're going to be the kindergarten teacher of the board, I can give you a list of names of other assholes. Don't worry, I know I'd be on the list, but I don't expect you'll be lecturing BroncoBob or Wild Card anytime soon. Save it.

whatever, just be nice.

 

 

 

You talk as if we're killing someone.

We have the right to share our opinions, just as you have the right to share yours.

 

And don't give me the "just be nice" crap b/c when Wild Card randomly comes to a thread to insult me, you don't seem to care as much. At the very least we're not telling Wild_Blue that we'd like to meet her so we could see her eyes roll backwards forever...or whatever the hell it was he said today.

whatever, just be nice.

 

Are you going to lecture everyone on being nice, or just people you disagree with? Because if you're going to be the kindergarten teacher of the board, I can give you a list of names of other assholes. Don't worry, I know I'd be on the list, but I don't expect you'll be lecturing BroncoBob or Wild Card anytime soon. Save it.

 

actually, in the other thread, I pointed out where WC was obviously out of line. I don't play favorites, guys, I just have a natural instinct to try and defend people who are being treated unfairly.

 

There's just a lot of arrogance on this board, particularly involving people who think stats always tell the whole story. Then other people want to talk about things outside of the context of statistical analysis, but get silenced by aggressive stat rats. Please let us talk about other stuff without trying to make us look stupid. Is this too much to ask? If so, this board sucks.

we all conceded that point long ago... but it wasn't enough.

 

ok, their plate approach is different too.

 

there are still many things they have in common - many, many things.

 

I dont even care, though. I honestly dont give two sh!ts about EB and Castillo's similarities. I just hate to see someone get attacked, and for what? For making an observation that was too superficial for the resident geniuses' amazingly complex and analytical minds.... [edit]

 

Apparently the point was never conceded, because if it was conceded that a) it really doesn't matter and b) let's wait before we anoint someone the second coming of one of the best players in our franchise's brief history, I can almost guarantee that Bobbbob wouldn't have gone on...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.