April 16, 200917 yr actually, in the other thread, I pointed out where WC was obviously out of line. There's just a lot of arrogance on this board, particularly involving people who think stats always tell the whole story. Then other people want to talk about things outside of the context of statistical analysis, but get silenced by aggressive stat rats. Please let us talk about other stuff without trying to make us look stupid. Is this too much to ask? If so, this board sucks. HAVE YOU EVER READ ONE OF BRONCOBOB OR MARLINS2003'S POSTS?? Seriously, dude? I know you've got this image in your mind of statistical analysis being a closeminded branch of thought or something, but you're blind if you truly believe this. Why not try to open your horizons and understand the game on more than just a "i lyk how dat guiz uni4m lookz!" (Hey, if we're going to make close minded statements based in nothing but our own stereotypes, I'm gonna join in on the fun.)
April 16, 200917 yr whatever, just be nice. Are you going to lecture everyone on being nice, or just people you disagree with? Because if you're going to be the kindergarten teacher of the board, I can give you a list of names of other assholes. Don't worry, I know I'd be on the list, but I don't expect you'll be lecturing BroncoBob or Wild Card anytime soon. Save it. actually, in the other thread, I pointed out where WC was obviously out of line. I don't play favorites, guys, I just have a natural instinct to try and defend people who are being treated unfairly. There's just a lot of arrogance on this board, particularly involving people who think stats always tell the whole story. Then other people want to talk about things outside of the context of statistical analysis, but get silenced by aggressive stat rats. Please let us talk about other stuff without trying to make us look stupid. Is this too much to ask? If so, this board sucks. When your opinion has absolutely nothing to back it up...expect an argument. Also...just b/c we disagree with you, doesn't mean we don't respect you. Forgive us for not always agreeing...
April 16, 200917 yr Apparently the point was never conceded, because if it was conceded that a) it really doesn't matter and b) let's wait before we anoint someone the second coming of one of the best players in our franchise's brief history, I can almost guarantee that Bobbbob wouldn't have gone on... I know I said on about pg 2 that Castillo's career is much better than anything EB has come close to, and EB still has everything to prove. Don't think anyone was trying to claim that EB has achieved that high level yet.
April 16, 200917 yr whatever, just be nice. Are you going to lecture everyone on being nice, or just people you disagree with? Because if you're going to be the kindergarten teacher of the board, I can give you a list of names of other assholes. Don't worry, I know I'd be on the list, but I don't expect you'll be lecturing BroncoBob or Wild Card anytime soon. Save it. actually, in the other thread, I pointed out where WC was obviously out of line. I don't play favorites, guys, I just have a natural instinct to try and defend people who are being treated unfairly. There's just a lot of arrogance on this board, particularly involving people who think stats always tell the whole story. Then other people want to talk about things outside of the context of statistical analysis, but get silenced by aggressive stat rats. Please let us talk about other stuff without trying to make us look stupid. Is this too much to ask? If so, this board sucks. It's not all the stat guys. There is a lot of arrogance by those who think intangibles and what your eyes "see" tell the whole story. Then people want to talk about things outside the context of non-factual analysis and get silenced by aggressive intangi-grit-speed-heart rats. We have to be aggressive to get past those who constantly give us lectures about stats not being as important as chemistry sometimes and about how playing the game their way is "playing the game the right way".
April 16, 200917 yr HAVE YOU EVER READ ONE OF BRONCOBOB OR MARLINS2003'S POSTS?? Yeah, seriously. :lol
April 16, 200917 yr When your opinion has absolutely nothing to back it up...expect an argument. Also...just b/c we disagree with you, doesn't mean we don't respect you. Forgive us for not always agreeing... Well I, for one, do appreciate your second point. However, the first one is plainly wrong! Nothing to back it up? Here's a start: Natural Field Position Played, Spot in the Order, Number, Country, Team, Switch Hitting, Slap Hitting, Lack of Power, Speed, Vague Physical Resemblance To me, this is sufficient to at least have the conversation. obviously EB has a ways to go till they are equals...
April 16, 200917 yr I know I said on about pg 2 that Castillo's career is much better than anything EB has come close to, and EB still has everything to prove. Don't think anyone was trying to claim that EB has achieved that high level yet. It was never about Bonifacio being better than Castillo. It was about him being similar to Castillo, a claim that is demonstrably false.
April 16, 200917 yr It's not all the stat guys. There is a lot of arrogance by those who think intangibles and what your eyes "see" tell the whole story. Then people want to talk about things outside the context of non-factual analysis and get silenced by aggressive intangi-grit-speed-heart rats. We have to be aggressive to get past those who constantly give us lectures about stats not being as important as chemistry sometimes and about how playing the game their way is "playing the game the right way". well, journey on then. may your voice never be stifled.
April 16, 200917 yr Oh please. "Your Man" has come on 2 threads the past 2 days just to insult me, for no reason, whatsoever. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Okay, Erick, I didn't attack you, he did. I only fired BACK at you. You coming here saying, "The fact that they're both Dominican, and they both wear #1 should be irrelevant, however" has been established and was NOT my argument. I'm done defending my observation, which I admitted early on in this thread when speaking statistically can be easily shot down. Take your arrogance somewhere else. I can take it, and i will dish it when necessary. I get the feeling that because I am a girl, many feel they can bully me- but you'd be surprised, my knowledge of baseball and the Marlins goes beyond just scratching the surface (like an innocent observation I made today here in this thread that you boys just love to take way too far.. I see a lot of both, simple observations and statistical facts, on this board).
April 16, 200917 yr When your opinion has absolutely nothing to back it up...expect an argument. Also...just b/c we disagree with you, doesn't mean we don't respect you. Forgive us for not always agreeing... Well I, for one, do appreciate your second point. However, the first one is plainly wrong! Nothing to back it up? Here's a start: Natural Field Position Played, Spot in the Order, Number, Country, Team, Switch Hitting, Slap Hitting, Lack of Power, Speed, Vague Physical Resemblance To me, this is sufficient to at least have the conversation. obviously EB has a ways to go till they are equals... Switch hitting, slap hitting, lack of power, and speed are the only things that have to do with baseball, though. The fact that you brought up things like country, for example, kinda proves Bob's point.
April 16, 200917 yr It was never about Bonifacio being better than Castillo. It was about him being similar to Castillo, a claim that is demonstrably false. I think the claim was "reminds me of"... a claim that is subjective, not something that can be invalidated by statistics
April 16, 200917 yr LMFAO at people here trying to tell someone that their perception is wrong :lol Some of you need to go back to 4th Grade and re-learn the difference in fact and opinion.
April 16, 200917 yr Natural Field Position Played, Spot in the Order, Number, Country, Team, Switch Hitting, Slap Hitting, Lack of Power, Speed, Vague Physical Resemblance Ok, let's discuss it. Remember the OP said "Watching Bonifacio, I am reminded of Castillo" so we're specifically talking about things that could remind you when you see him. You aren't seeing him play 2B, so you shouldn't be reminded of Castillo at 2B when Bonifacio is at 3rd. Spot in the order. I don't see how this could remind you of Castillo. Did Hanley hitting first remind you of Chuck Carr? Number. Eric. Reed. Country. There's lots of variety among dominicans. Switch Hitter. Chipper Jones is a switch hitter. Slap hitting. Luis chokes up way more than Boni, and Boni is actually more of a hacker. Lack of Power. This was not something that should remind you of Luis. Speed. He's actually faster than Luis. General physical resemblance. And here's the crux of it. They look alike. Eric Reed's game is exactly the same as Boner's as is his number, so unless seeing Boner standing on the clay instead of the grass is enough to conjure images of Castillo, it all comes down to looking alike. They're games are really not that alike if you think about it for a few minutes. Boner does none of the good things Luis did at the plate.
April 16, 200917 yr LMFAO at people here trying to tell someone that their perception is wrong :lol Some of you need to go back to 4th Grade and re-learn the difference in fact and opinion. THANK YOU! :respect
April 16, 200917 yr Oh please. "Your Man" has come on 2 threads the past 2 days just to insult me, for no reason, whatsoever. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Okay, Erick, I didn't attack you, he did. I only fired BACK at you. You coming here saying, "The fact that they're both Dominican, and they both wear #1 should be irrelevant, however" has been established and was NOT my argument. I'm done defending my observation, which I admitted early on in this thread when speaking statistically can be easily shot down. Take your arrogance somewhere else. I can take it, and i will dish it when necessary. I get the feeling that because I am a girl, many feel they can bully me- but you'd be surprised, my knowledge of baseball and the Marlins goes beyond just scratching the surface (like an innocent observation I made today here in this thread that you boys just love to take way too far.. I see a lot of both, simple observations and statistical facts, on this board). What you've stated on this thread isn't knowledge. It's pure opinion. Also...you're telling me you can take it...yet, at the same time...you're telling me to take my arrogance somewhere else.
April 16, 200917 yr LMFAO at people here trying to tell someone that their perception is wrong :lol Some of you need to go back to 4th Grade and re-learn the difference in fact and opinion. An opinion can be wrong, actually. If you say "Luis' game is similar to Boners" that is an opinion that can be wrong.
April 16, 200917 yr The fact that you brought up things like country, for example, kinda proves Bob's point. I didnt bring them up, they are obvious! what point does it prove? that the impression is not completely rooted in hardcore baseball analysis? fine. that does not make it invalid, though. it just means that bob doesnt like it. you guys do realize that this debate was started with a thrice-repeated comment that basically said "I dont like the way your mind cognates Emilio Bonifacio" and here we are however many pages later coming back to that same comment? bob, people will always compare EB and LC for the obvious reasons, even if some of them are superficial. sorry that you don't like that. are we done yet?
April 16, 200917 yr Natural Field Position Played, Spot in the Order, Number, Country, Team, Switch Hitting, Slap Hitting, Lack of Power, Speed, Vague Physical Resemblance Ok, let's discuss it. Remember the OP said "Watching Bonifacio, I am reminded of Castillo" so we're specifically talking about things that could remind you when you see him. You aren't seeing him play 2B, so you shouldn't be reminded of Castillo at 2B when Bonifacio is at 3rd. Spot in the order. I don't see how this could remind you of Castillo. Did Hanley hitting first remind you of Chuck Carr? Number. Eric. Reed. Country. There's lots of variety among dominicans. Switch Hitter. Chipper Jones is a switch hitter. Slap hitting. Luis chokes up way more than Boni, and Boni is actually more of a hacker. Lack of Power. This was not something that should remind you of Luis. Speed. He's actually faster than Luis. General physical resemblance. And here's the crux of it. They look alike. Eric Reed's game is exactly the same as Boner's as is his number, so unless seeing Boner standing on the clay instead of the grass is enough to conjure images of Castillo, it all comes down to looking alike. They're games are really not that alike if you think about it for a few minutes. Boner does none of the good things Luis did at the plate. Wild blue, I hope you are taking notes on this so you know how you are allowed to think from here on out.....
April 16, 200917 yr Oh please. "Your Man" has come on 2 threads the past 2 days just to insult me, for no reason, whatsoever. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Okay, Erick, I didn't attack you, he did. I only fired BACK at you. You coming here saying, "The fact that they're both Dominican, and they both wear #1 should be irrelevant, however" has been established and was NOT my argument. I'm done defending my observation, which I admitted early on in this thread when speaking statistically can be easily shot down. Take your arrogance somewhere else. I can take it, and i will dish it when necessary. I get the feeling that because I am a girl, many feel they can bully me- but you'd be surprised, my knowledge of baseball and the Marlins goes beyond just scratching the surface (like an innocent observation I made today here in this thread that you boys just love to take way too far.. I see a lot of both, simple observations and statistical facts, on this board). What you've stated on this thread isn't knowledge. It's pure opinion. Also...you're telling me you can take it...yet, at the same time...you're telling me to take my arrogance somewhere else. Hey! You've figured it out!!! Welcome to message boards! - on this thread, you're right... it was PURE opinion- throwing my opinion out there. However, don't be so quick to think that I don't have some baseball "knowledge" up my sleeve though... Have a good night.
April 16, 200917 yr LMFAO at people here trying to tell someone that their perception is wrong :lol Some of you need to go back to 4th Grade and re-learn the difference in fact and opinion. An opinion can be wrong, actually. If you say "Luis' game is similar to Boners" that is an opinion that can be wrong. You're hopeless.
April 16, 200917 yr Wild blue, I hope you are taking notes on this so you know how you are allowed to think from here on out..... What are you talking about? How can you be reminded of a guy who played 2nd while watching another guy play 3rd? It's a serious question. Because you know he played 2nd for some other team?
April 16, 200917 yr Wild blue, I hope you are taking notes on this so you know how you are allowed to think from here on out..... What are you talking about? How can you be reminded of a guy who played 2nd while watching another guy play 3rd? It's a serious question. Because you know he played 2nd for some other team? the comparisons were made long before he moved to 3rd. keep grasping at straws, though.
April 16, 200917 yr LMFAO at people here trying to tell someone that their perception is wrong :lol Some of you need to go back to 4th Grade and re-learn the difference in fact and opinion. An opinion can be wrong, actually. If you say "Luis' game is similar to Boners" that is an opinion that can be wrong. You're hopeless. Honestly, am I wrong? Seriously. An opinion can be wrong, right? If you're opinion is also attempting to be a factual statement, then it can be factually wrong. Saying "Luis' game is similar to Boner's" is a statement that can be wrong. I'm not actually saying in this instance whether it is wrong, but it can be. Just like saying "I think Hanley is worse than Boner" is an opinion that can be wrong. I don't see what is wrong with saying that.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.