May 14, 200917 yr We only know so much. We're just going based off reports. That's all we can base things on, no? Or we can also bravely speculate, and in doing so likely be subject to ridicule.
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out.
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out. So, should we believe that Cantu is hurt too? After all, he's struggling a bit lately, and we all know he was having problems with his hand. No reports though. Should we assume it's all one big secret? Of course it's possible. But why even think about it that way, until something is said?
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out. You atleast hopped to conclusions. Also, didn't see you look at the "he just had a bad game, he'll probably bounce right back" option.
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out. You atleast hopped to conclusions. Also, didn't see you look at the "he just had a bad game, he'll probably bounce right back" option. That's because it's repetitive to post what everyone else posts :thumbup And I never concluded anything. I said if he goes to the DL, and, I said it was foolish to completely rule out injury. I even stated earlier I don't think he is injured, just that there is that possibility.
May 14, 200917 yr So, should we believe that Cantu is hurt too? After all, he's struggling a bit lately, and we all know he was having problems with his hand. No reports though. Should we assume it's all one big secret? Of course it's possible. But why even think about it that way, until something is said? I did not watch the game today but the first thing I wondered after looking at the box score was whether or not JJ was injured. IMO one of the biggest problems with this (and likely any) internet forum, is the lack of leeway given to people who want to speculate. There are many uneducated opinions passed off as fact, which leads some to try and police all comments or demand that they satisfy some sort of burden of proof. People should be free to say "JJ might be injured" without having anything but a suspicion to back it up. (and by "free to say" I mean not be subject to a semantic pissing match.)
May 14, 200917 yr we need a "Jump to Conclusions" mat That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out. You atleast hopped to conclusions. Also, didn't see you look at the "he just had a bad game, he'll probably bounce right back" option. That's because it's repetitive to post what everyone else posts :thumbup And I never concluded anything. I said if he goes to the DL, and, I said it was foolish to completely rule out injury. I even stated earlier I don't think he is injured, just that there is that possibility. There is that possibility . . . with every player.
May 14, 200917 yr we need a "Jump to Conclusions" mat That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life. :thumbup /end scene
May 14, 200917 yr No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump right to that conclusion just because he had a bad outing, which pitchers tend to sometimes have. THAT would be completely ridiculous. I never jumped to conclusions though, I simply looked at all options they have the chance of playing themselves out. You atleast hopped to conclusions. Also, didn't see you look at the "he just had a bad game, he'll probably bounce right back" option. That's because it's repetitive to post what everyone else posts :thumbup And I never concluded anything. I said if he goes to the DL, and, I said it was foolish to completely rule out injury. I even stated earlier I don't think he is injured, just that there is that possibility. There is that possibility . . . with every player. 1) And? 2) Please refer to my earlier response to you. Thank you.
May 14, 200917 yr So, should we believe that Cantu is hurt too? After all, he's struggling a bit lately, and we all know he was having problems with his hand. No reports though. Should we assume it's all one big secret? Of course it's possible. But why even think about it that way, until something is said? I did not watch the game today but the first thing I wondered after looking at the box score was whether or not JJ was injured. IMO one of the biggest problems with this (and likely any) internet forum, is the lack of leeway given to people who want to speculate. There are many uneducated opinions passed off as fact, which leads some to try and police all comments or demand that they satisfy some sort of burden of proof. People should be free to say "JJ might be injured" without having anything but a suspicion to back it up. (and by "free to say" I mean not be subject to a semantic pissing match.) But it was already reported that he isn't. Sure, they have gotten it wrong before (as in the organization), but I'd say that's more of a reason to say "ah well, bad game," than "he might be injured." Maybe it's just me. And again, if you're gonna think this way b/c JJ had a bad game, you must be thinking this way about some other players, as well.
May 14, 200917 yr So, should we believe that Cantu is hurt too? After all, he's struggling a bit lately, and we all know he was having problems with his hand. No reports though. Should we assume it's all one big secret? Of course it's possible. But why even think about it that way, until something is said? I did not watch the game today but the first thing I wondered after looking at the box score was whether or not JJ was injured. IMO one of the biggest problems with this (and likely any) internet forum, is the lack of leeway given to people who want to speculate. There are many uneducated opinions passed off as fact, which leads some to try and police all comments or demand that they satisfy some sort of burden of proof. People should be free to say "JJ might be injured" without having anything but a suspicion to back it up. (and by "free to say" I mean not be subject to a semantic pissing match.) What do you mean? Nny is perfectly free to say that he might be injured, and I'm perfectly free to say "I think he just had a bad game and probably isn't."
May 14, 200917 yr There is that possibility . . . with every player. But why pull our ace for the 5th when he is not struggling and only threw 86 pitches? I hear he was having control issues. This could be the simple answer, that the coaches didn't like his control so pulled him. Or there could be a deeper answer that answers why he got pulled and why he was lacking control. The above paragraph demonstrates why it is worth speculating. If you can have a similar dialogue about another player and their injury status, then by all means go for it. But why are you trying so hard to silence (or poo-poo) Nny's POV?
May 14, 200917 yr The Marlins are now saying that Josh Johnson had some weakness in his right shoulder before coming out of Thursday's game. The official word during the game was that there was no injury, but the Marlins said afterwards that there was an area of some concern. "It just doesn't feel great," Johnson said. "I wanted to go back out there. It's not tight. Almost weak. But then I came in here and did all the strength stuff, and they told me it's not weak. I've heard stories of people leaving Colorado and feeling absolutely awful their next start." Johnson threw eight innings at high-altitude Coors Field five days ago. Yes, looking at the possibility of JJ being injured is so wrong. Somebody give that memo to the FO so they stop worrying. Sigh. Please be nothing. What do you mean? Nny is perfectly free to say that he might be injured, and I'm perfectly free to say "I think he just had a bad game and probably isn't." You were never probable, you were definitive: "JJ isn't injured."
May 14, 200917 yr "1) And? 2) Please refer to my earlier response to you. Thank you." 1) . . . And you haven't said this before, regarding any one of our players. Why the sudden change today? 2) I don't have to, and I won't. I'll say what I want, when I want. It's your right to ignore it. It's not my problem you're in a pissy mood today. All I asked was "What is your point?" Stop being so sensitive.
May 15, 200917 yr I don't have to, and I won't. I'll say what I want, when I want. you go, girl! :lol
May 15, 200917 yr He was struggling, the pen had been great. Still, even though he was off, we could have easily avoided using Badenhop by letting him top 100 pitches. Considering the amount of pitches he had to throw in the last inning, we probably could've gotten at least two more innings out of him. Concerning to say the least. This would be a catastrophic loss.
May 15, 200917 yr Having watched the game (one joy of living in England, watching day games 'live' in the evening), I'd assumed JJ was taken out to give the Marlins the best chance of a win. His control at times was on a par with Byung-Hyun Kim at his worst. At one point, he'd walked one hitter, then was 3-0 against the next. Shake 'n' Bake came out for a chat, and JJ prompty threw the next ball to the backboard about two feet wide of the plate. He was not having control "issues", he was having control "oh lord mercy!"s. Hopper, Meyes & Nunez came in and pitched really well - okay Hopper gave up the game-winning homer, but it was against "Slim" Prince Fielder.
May 15, 200917 yr Having watched the game (one joy of living in England, watching day games 'live' in the evening), I'd assumed JJ was taken out to give the Marlins the best chance of a win. His control at times was on a par with Byung-Hyun Kim at his worst. At one point, he'd walked one hitter, then was 3-0 against the next. Shake 'n' Bake came out for a chat, and JJ prompty threw the next ball to the backboard about two feet wide of the plate. He was not having control "issues", he was having control "oh lord mercy!"s. Hopper, Meyes & Nunez came in and pitched really well - okay Hopper gave up the game-winning homer, but it was against "Slim" Prince Fielder. Now that was funny. Made me chuckle. Thanks. JJ looked very bad. I could see why he was pulled, despite what Tommy and Rich said. The worst control he has had all season. Sit him, let him come back another day. No sense in taking a chance with the best pitcher we have had all season. Cantu's missed foul pop up (should have been an error) and then the batter hits a two banger. Boni's mind fart on defense, leading to another mind fart on the same play by Gload. No bats at all when they counted. JJ's dismal start. I also thought Coghlin had a shot at the home run ball had he not got turned around, but rookie mistakes happen. (Not really a biggie, except for him. He would have made the high lite reels.) It all contributed to a terrible game for us. Boni trying to score on that single I really have no problem with. Couldn't tell if Bo was sending him, and couldn't hear what was being yelled from the dug out, but... We had already scored on bad defense, we weren't hitting, and the guy is fast. Give it a shot. Maybe catch them sleeping a bit or maybe they make a bad throw. Sure was close. Reading the after game comments, apparently Fredi agrees. Good things from this game? Not much. But Hanley now has a 12 game hitting streak and Boni is at 6. Oh. And Coghlin gets his first ML SB.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.