Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Giants Inquire on Uggla

Featured Replies

As long as we don't end up with Jonathan Sanchez. Walk machine.

 

 

I want Matt Cain. If we trade Uggs, I want Cain. I don't care much for Sanchez, although he would be a good addition. He is a walk machine, but when he's on it, he's great. But the guy I really want is Cain. Do whatever it takes to get him.

 

Yeah having Matt Cain join this staff would be sweet! Think of the rotation!

 

Josh Johnson, Matt Cain, Chris Volstad, Sean West, [Anibal Sanchez, Andrew Miller, Ricky Nolasco] who ever the 5th guy is doesn't matter! That starting 4 is very nice on the eyes...

 

For Cain I would pull the trigger on Uggla... But If you trade him you MUST keep Cantu.

Brian Sabean, dope that he may be, doesn't trade a front-line young starter (Cain) for a 29-year old slow 2B on the downside of his career (Uggla).

 

Period.

i could understand us getting rid of uggla for pitching and put coghlan or boni at second but who would take cantu's spot if we trade him???

 

thats the question both our top 2 first base propects are injuired.

 

heard from Gabys' friend he should be ready to play next Monday

I'm not being a smartass here- Remind me why Morrison is projected to switch to the corner outfield from 1B?

 

 

Jim Flemming (scouting director) said he was going to move to the OF toward the end of last season. It became more apparent in the AFL, when the Marlins made him play LF. And Flemming recently said he will play OF in AA when he comes back from his thumb injury (which should be really really soon).

Just to add to the rumors, Sedano asked Mike Hill earlier on 790 if they were dangling Uggla and Hill sidestepped, shuffled, and did everything but deny that they were dangling Uggla.

It is predictable that Uggla will get written off on this board. I remember after his 2006 rookie season. many here were all "SELL, SELL, SELL." Uggla then pretty much repeated his rookie season in 2007, but with a downturn in his BA and people were all "If we don't sell NOW we will not get anything for Uggla because he'll end up washing out next year." Then he comes back even stronger in 2008, and those voices go silent for a moment. Now he has a slow start and the call to sell begins again.

 

While Uggla has gotten off to a slow start this season, I see a number of encouraging signs. One is the numbers of walks he is drawing. His OBP is a full 121 points higher than his BA. Once he gets on track and brings his batting average back up, I think you'll see his OBP closer to .400 than .300. This is one area where Uggla has shown consistent improvement since breaking into the league.

 

The other encouraging sign I see is the power he is hitting for when he does get hits. Granted, he needs to get hits on a more consistent basis. But it is worth noting that over half of his hits (16 of 31) have been extra base hits.

 

I think that after season after season of proving the doubters wrong about him washing out, Uggla deserves some more time before he is written off.

It is predictable that Uggla will get written off on this board. I remember after his 2006 rookie season. many here were all "SELL, SELL, SELL." Uggla then pretty much repeated his rookie season in 2007, but with a downturn in his BA and people were all "If we don't sell NOW we will not get anything for Uggla because he'll end up washing out next year." Then he comes back even stronger in 2008, and those voices go silent for a moment. Now he has a slow start and the call to sell begins again.

 

While Uggla has gotten off to a slow start this season, I see a number of encouraging signs. One is the numbers of walks he is drawing. His OBP is a full 121 points higher than his BA. Once he gets on track and brings his batting average back up, I think you'll see his OBP closer to .400 than .300. This is one area where Uggla has shown consistent improvement since breaking into the league.

 

The other encouraging sign I see is the power he is hitting for when he does get hits. Granted, he needs to get hits on a more consistent basis. But it is worth noting that over half of his hits (16 of 31) have been extra base hits.

 

I think that after season after season of proving the doubters wrong about him washing out, Uggla deserves some more time before he is written off.

 

Currently, Uggla has a .213 BABIP, 4th worst in baseball. BP likes to say an average BABIP is .290, but let's lower that a little for Uggla to .275 because of his flyball/pop up tendencies. (And NNY, feel free to be more analytical as I'm eyeballing it). If we're giving him hits up a .275 BABIP, this turns his season average into pretty much a .900 OPS - .257/.378/.522 (new slugging was 9 hits, 5 singles, 4 'triples,' as Uggla basically splits 50-50 both his 1B/XB, and 2B/HR). Uggla is basically keeping up with last year. He's just unlucky. Even if the 9 hits were singles, he's still .257/.378/.471, which is still awesome. The hits are just not falling. I attribute this to the late april period where he had that 0-30 or whatever slump, but was absolutely robbed 5-6 times on drilled shots, and a few bloops he's not getting here and there. I do not think Uggla is any different than he's ever been. I'm not worried about him, I just do not feel he is a longterm piece (as in new stadium), as these slugger types decline a bit earlier than more contract driven guys, and he really should only play against right handers. I would much rather have another "Volstad" than keeping Dan around. I have a lot of confidence in Coghlan to be a scraptastic .280/.350/.425, 25+ SB, better defense option, for years, and that's more than adequate compared to getting serious pitching for Uggla and not spending money on his huge arbitration numbers.

As long as we don't end up with Jonathan Sanchez. Walk machine.

 

Because he's having a tough rookie year? :rolleyes:

 

But yeah, as someone else said, if it doesn't involve Bumgarner, go away.

As long as we don't end up with Jonathan Sanchez. Walk machine.

 

Because he's having a tough rookie year? :rolleyes:

 

But yeah, as someone else said, if it doesn't involve Bumgarner, go away.

They aren't trading Bumgarner, as he can be the ace level left-hander they currently do not have.

 

Aldersen is who the Marlins should target. He's very good, and it's more reasonable than Madison on paper.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.