Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New York Jets Acquire Santonio Holmes for a 5th-round pick

Featured Replies

I'll be honest, I have no idea what those numbers mean. With guys like Kelley Washington, Robert Meachem, Devin Aromashodu, Davone Bess, Jericho Cotchery, and a few other guys on that list ahead of Brandon Marshall, I really don't care to know. Sorry.

 

And yes, production favors Marshall over Holmes throughout their careers, but I shouldn't have put it past a Steelers fan to try and find a reason to say Holmes is a better receiver.

 

 

Hilarious. "I see numbers in front of me that prove me wrong, but because I don't like what they say, I will just put them aside."

 

Again, as simply as I can put it, Brandon Marshall is the product of being targeted more than any receiver in the NFL. The numbers weigh situations. A 10 yard reception on 2nd and 20 is worth much less than a 10 yard reception on 3rd and 9, for example. That site isn't run by a Steeler fan, so why would he intentionally skew the numbers in a Steeler's player's favor? Grow up, Dim.

Whatever, I'm saying that I can't say that formula is right because I honestly have no idea how they come with those numbers. I do know that Marshall is better than Holmes in some of the most important numbers, receptions, receiving yards, TD's, and % of catches made when thrown to. Those numbers are what wins games.

 

And you're calling me immature? Your first sentence paints a sentence that I never said. All I ever said was I didn't understand the formula for the number, so I can't say it justifies Holmes being better than Marshall. Nice of you to twist my words around.

Whatever, I'm saying that I can't say that formula is right because I honestly have no idea how they come with those numbers. I do know that Marshall is better than Holmes in some of the most important numbers, receptions, receiving yards, TD's, and % of catches made when thrown to. Those numbers are what wins games.

 

And you're calling me immature? Your first sentence paints a sentence that I never said. All I ever said was I didn't understand the formula for the number, so I can't say it justifies Holmes being better than Marshall. Nice of you to twist my words around.

 

 

 

I really don't care to know. Sorry.

 

You didn't care to know why it rated players the way it did, you dismissed it before you even understood it.

 

The fact is, you're saying Marshall is better than Holmes in "important" numbers... Well, that's not entirely right. Marshall gets thrown to WAY more than Holmes. TONS more. So, even if they did things at exactly the same rates, of course Marshall would have more numbers, that doesn't make him a better player, it means he had more opportunities. "Those numbers win games" - you're better than cliches, Dim. Marshall is a talented prima donna who has been fortunate enough to get more targets than anyone else in the NFL the past few seasons and the second those targets come back to earth, the numbers will deflate just as quickly...

 

The long and the short of it, though, is that it's flat out ignorant to a) say Marshall is easily way better than Holmes, and b) to dismiss something before you understand it.

 

Remember when I didn't know what I was talking about with Jay Cutler, the same dude who led the NFL in INTs last season?

Marshall is way better than Holmes, it's that plain and simple.

 

 

This is hilariously wrong...

 

http://www.profootba...s=25&numgames=1

 

Where is Holmes on that list and where is Marshall... I did this before last season started, too. Marshall's obviously talented, but very much the product of being targeted more than any other receiver in the league. Given the choice, I'd take Holmes over Marshall 7 days a week and twice on Sundays, 'cause even if Holmes smokes too much weed, I'd rather have that over a prima donna any day.

 

 

Click on pass, and find out where Brandon Marshall ranks. .2 point behind Holmes, with Orton as his QB and Ben as Holmes QB.

 

Marshall is without a doubt better than Holmes.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what those numbers mean. With guys like Kelley Washington, Robert Meachem, Devin Aromashodu, Davone Bess, Jericho Cotchery, and a few other guys on that list ahead of Brandon Marshall, I really don't care to know. Sorry.

 

And yes, production favors Marshall over Holmes throughout their careers, but I shouldn't have put it past a Steelers fan to try and find a reason to say Holmes is a better receiver.

 

 

Hilarious. "I see numbers in front of me that prove me wrong, but because I don't like what they say, I will just put them aside."

 

Again, as simply as I can put it, Brandon Marshall is the product of being targeted more than any receiver in the NFL. The numbers weigh situations. A 10 yard reception on 2nd and 20 is worth much less than a 10 yard reception on 3rd and 9, for example. That site isn't run by a Steeler fan, so why would he intentionally skew the numbers in a Steeler's player's favor? Grow up, Dim.

 

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

 

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=052

 

Marshall had 16 more passes thrown his way. Don't use that excuse anymore. It isn't legit. He put up better numbers with Kyle Orton than Holmes did with Ben and Ward on the other side.

 

Fact is, Marshall is better than Holmes.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what those numbers mean. With guys like Kelley Washington, Robert Meachem, Devin Aromashodu, Davone Bess, Jericho Cotchery, and a few other guys on that list ahead of Brandon Marshall, I really don't care to know. Sorry.

 

And yes, production favors Marshall over Holmes throughout their careers, but I shouldn't have put it past a Steelers fan to try and find a reason to say Holmes is a better receiver.

 

 

Hilarious. "I see numbers in front of me that prove me wrong, but because I don't like what they say, I will just put them aside."

 

Again, as simply as I can put it, Brandon Marshall is the product of being targeted more than any receiver in the NFL. The numbers weigh situations. A 10 yard reception on 2nd and 20 is worth much less than a 10 yard reception on 3rd and 9, for example. That site isn't run by a Steeler fan, so why would he intentionally skew the numbers in a Steeler's player's favor? Grow up, Dim.

 

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

 

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=052

 

Marshall had 16 more passes thrown his way. Don't use that excuse anymore. It isn't legit. He put up better numbers with Kyle Orton than Holmes did with Ben and Ward on the other side.

 

Fact is, Marshall is better than Holmes.

 

I think Marshall is better than Holmes. I'd rank Marshall in the top 5 of all receivers, but Holmes isn't too far behind. For arguments sake I'll say he is the 14th best.

 

I'd rather send a 5th rounder for the 14th best receiver than two 2nd rounders for the #5.

NFL schedule comes out on Tuesday.

 

Hopefully the Jets wont be playing the Patriots, Dolphins or Steelers between week 1 and 4 so they'll get Holmes back for those games. Actually I wouldn't mind the Patriots early on because Welker will be out until at least November.

To be honest, I don't think Marshall is a top 5 receiver. I can name 5 better than him.

 

Also, it depends on your team, like you said earlier. I'd rather Miami trade two seconds for Marshall than a fifth for Holmes. We don't need Holmes, we needed a big, physical number one receiver.

  • Author

To be honest, I don't think Marshall is a top 5 receiver. I can name 5 better than him.

 

Also, it depends on your team, like you said earlier. I'd rather Miami trade two seconds for Marshall than a fifth for Holmes. We don't need Holmes, we needed a big, physical number one receiver.

 

 

Which 5? Off the top of my head Andre Johnson and Admin Fitzgerald are better. Who else?

Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss and you might think I'm crazy but Roddy White. You can argue against all of them though.

What about Wes Welker? I dont like the guy, but he's always putting up huge numbers.

 

If Desean Jackson got the ball thrown to him more, I think he would put up enormous numbers.

Wes Welker can't be a number one receiver, IMO. He feeds off of Moss.

 

Desean Jackson is a beat. Just not top 5.

Vincent Jackson is without a doubt a top 5 WR, at least I reckon so.

 

I would have Andre Johnson, Admin Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Vincent Jackson and Reggie Wayne in my top 5

  • Author

Vincent Jackson is without a doubt a top 5 WR, at least I reckon so.

 

I would have Andre Johnson, Admin Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Vincent Jackson and Reggie Wayne in my top 5

 

 

Moss and Wayne are aging. Jackson's pretty good.

 

The point is, there is not a clear 5 ahead of Marshall.

Vincent Jackson is without a doubt a top 5 WR, at least I reckon so.

 

I would have Andre Johnson, Admin Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Vincent Jackson and Reggie Wayne in my top 5

 

 

Moss and Wayne are aging. Jackson's pretty good.

 

The point is, there is not a clear 5 ahead of Marshall.

 

Still both higher regarded than Marshall right now, aging or not.

Wow, there are a lot of elite receivers, lol. You can make a case for Wayne and Jackson, but I'd rather have Marshall than both. Wayne and Jackson both have elite QBs. Jay Cutler was good and so was Kyle Orton, but if Marshall had Rivers/Manning, he would dominate.

 

Also, the clear number one receiver is Andre Johnson.

If you want my top 5 in no order it's

 

Fitzgerald

Johnson

Marshall

Moss

Jackson

 

I'd agree that the only definitive player is Andre Johnson #1, no question. I'd also probably put Marshall at #5 on that list because he's still young, though I'd give him the up arrow and definitely Moss the down arrow. I also wouldnt put Wayne in the 5. Top 10, but not 5.

The long and the short of it, though, is that it's flat out ignorant to a) say Marshall is easily way better than Holmes

 

 

Going by the ratings you are putting stock into:

 

Marshall over the last three years: 13.8, 4.6, 2.4

Holmes over the last three years: 4.7, .4, 8.9

 

20.4 for Marshall, 14 for Holmes.

 

So he's like 50% better over 3 years, rather than the one year sample size.

 

Also, Marshall's been like 9 and 5 in 07-08 in blocking, and last year he was a 2. That's basically the difference, and given what we know about statistics, he'll likely go back to being a plus blocker on a team that emphasizes the run.

 

So I'd say he's clearly a better receiver, going by your standards or regular standards, as 3 years > 1 year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.