Setup and Closer

Marathon Eddy

Will we ever spend money on a legit setup guy and a good closer. I know last nights game it would not have mattered. But we get out to so many leads and then blow them in the 6 - 9th. Why can't we just shell out some cash for a decent setup guy and pay for a legit closer?

Define "legit". Nunez converted 26 saves last year and he's off to a great start this year.

Ok you are right. I was thinking of 2 seasons ago when Pinto literally pitched liked a pinto. I guess it is more of a setup guy or maybe their starters lose steam in the 5th. It just seems we have a lead almost every night and somehow we have an inning where we give up 4 runs. I do like Nunez and I actually liked Lindstom before we traded him, even though he blew a lot of saves and only had a fastball. I just get frustrated watching them play a good game only to have it ruined in later innings. But yeah, Nunez is legit..my bad.

Define "legit". Nunez converted 26 saves last year and he's off to a great start this year.

Ok you are right. I was thinking of 2 seasons ago when Pinto literally pitched liked a pinto. I guess it is more of a setup guy or maybe their starters lose steam in the 5th. It just seems we have a lead almost every night and somehow we have an inning where we give up 4 runs. I do like Nunez and I actually liked Lindstom before we traded him, even though he blew a lot of saves and only had a fastball. I just get frustrated watching them play a good game only to have it ruined in later innings. But yeah, Nunez is legit..my bad.

Pinto is not a problem as long as he continues allowing only a .637 OPS with runners on and a .703 OPS overall and only 28% of inherited runners to score.

Pinto is not a problem as long as he continues allowing only a .637 OPS with runners on and a .703 OPS overall and only 28% of inherited runners to score.

Pinto is terrible. Period

Will we ever spend money on a legit setup guy and a good closer. I know last nights game it would not have mattered. But we get out to so many leads and then blow them in the 6 - 9th. Why can't we just shell out some cash for a decent setup guy and pay for a legit closer?

Because giving contracts to 95% of relievers is stupid. They are extremely volatile year to year, and you can't saddle yourself with a $4 million reliever you don't know is going to be good or not 3 years down the road. You have to develop a bullpen from within. You spend the money on trustworthy starters and position players. However, I would be into this team signing guys like Arthur Rhodes, i.e. LOOGYs, to two year deals not worth very much. But it's very competitive to get those mid range relievers as everyone who has a buck to spend want them. Just hope in the coming years guys like Jennings, Mharinez, Tucker, Cishek, Vanden Hurk, etc develop and supplement what we have. The bullpen is not as bad as perceived. That includes Pinto who has been one of the better left handers in the National League the last few years.

Because giving contracts to 95% of relievers is stupid. They are extremely volatile year to year, and you can't saddle yourself with a $4 million reliever you don't know is going to be good or not 3 years down the road. You have to develop a bullpen from within. You spend the money on trustworthy starters and position players. However, I would be into this team signing guys like Arthur Rhodes, i.e. LOOGYs, to two year deals not worth very much. But it's very competitive to get those mid range relievers as everyone who has a buck to spend want them. Just hope in the coming years guys like Jennings, Mharinez, Tucker, Cishek, Vanden Hurk, etc develop and supplement what we have. The bullpen is not as bad as perceived. That includes Pinto who has been one of the better left handers in the National League the last few years.

I hope you are right. We are up by 4 with 2 outs in the top of the 7th.

I don't think Nunez has done poorly this year, but listing how many saves a closer got is really a poor indicator of how good they were at it. Even mediocre closers can save 30 games if given enough opportunities last year, and Nunez saved 26 despite the fact that he blew another 7, had an ERA over 4 (not good at all for a closer) and lost 6 games, which shouldn't happen to good late inning guys. And Nunez blew games down the stretch where we needed him the most, showing terrible proneness to HR's.

I'll reiterate that I think Nunez has looked good so far this year, but he was painfully mediocre last year and 26 saves doesn't change that.

I don't think Nunez has done poorly this year, but listing how many saves a closer got is really a poor indicator of how good they were at it. Even mediocre closers can save 30 games if given enough opportunities last year, and Nunez saved 26 despite the fact that he blew another 7, had an ERA over 4 (not good at all for a closer) and lost 6 games, which shouldn't happen to good late inning guys. And Nunez blew games down the stretch where we needed him the most, showing terrible proneness to HR's.

I'll reiterate that I think Nunez has looked good so far this year, but he was painfully mediocre last year and 26 saves doesn't change that.

I wrote that off to his small stature, being the first time he has closed at this level, and dealing with the heat, humidity, and pressure of the slot. A combination of them all tired him out. During the season last year I said I thought he would tire out come Sept. The way he has been so far this season, I would say that's exactly what happened last year.

As of right now, Leo Nunez is doing just fine, and Chris Leroux (developed from within the organization) is really showing the potential of becoming that setup man, pushing Hopper back to middle relief, where he's more valuable.

As of right now, Leo Nunez is doing just fine, and Chris Leroux (developed from within the organization) is really showing the potential of becoming that setup man, pushing Hopper back to middle relief, where he's more valuable.

This. Leo is a solid guy to have as a closer with the stuff he has and when he can control it, like he has this season, he's been pretty unhittable.

As for a Set Up man like Erick said, Leroux has done a good job so far setting up and if ever gets out of this groove we could go to Hensley (Pending on when he comes back from his Bereavement leave)who has done great this season in the mid relief role.

Well I would hope they get some relief help. This is what this team needs they do not have a solid pen who can hold the games close when they are down. Nunez has been good, Hensley as well. Badenhop is ok. I am tired of Pinto and Veras. Anyway I hope they spend some money or make some trades. Go Marlins!

Well I would hope they get some relief help. This is what this team needs they do not have a solid pen who can hold the games close when they are down. Nunez has been good, Hensley as well. Badenhop is ok. I am tired of Pinto and Veras. Anyway I hope they spend some money or make some trades. Go Marlins!

Veras is no longer on the team.

These threads always come up after someone blows a save. Relax. Leo will be a very good closer this entire year, but he won't be perfect. I bet he converts 30 of 35 or something along those lines.

Of course, I'd love to get a closer like Armando Benitez. That guy was pretty much beyond awesome for us. Any type of save situation that guy could get it done.

He was pretty much cruising tonight until he threw a slider to Rowand. My only problem with that is why throw a slider which A. Has been hit hard over the years since it isnt his best pitch it's more of a get me over and B. He has a nasty changeup and hard fastball with movement that he can throw for strikes.

Just bad pitch to call in what I believe was a 2-0 or 1-0 count so the hitter is looking for something to smash.

He's doing fine though only 1 B.S. but this would have been a nice win since it was a Lincecum start.

And we have a closer. Nunez is fine.

I don't think Nunez is "fine" - but that's just me personally. I'm not all gung-ho about getting rid of him, but I get the chills everytime he's on the mound. I guess he seems improved from last year thus far. Ultimately it's too soon to cut him loose completely, granted I have suggested that in the past (last year). The marlins are just gonna keep revolving the door I guess, until someone really steps up. We got rid of Gregg and Lindstrom in the past two years haven't we?

Having a setup guy is a waste. It's just another problem needing to be solved. I'd rather be able to chose who pitches the 8th than have a designated set up to be honest.

I agree about the setup man by comitee part.

It seems every time Fredi goes "Hey You You're setting up Leo now" the pitcher doesn't pitch to there full potential. We should just have everyone who can pitch that day be aware that they could go in at any time weather its the 5th inning or its the 8th inning and fill in the pieces as the game goes along.

Having a setup guy is a waste. It's just another problem needing to be solved. I'd rather be able to chose who pitches the 8th than have a designated set up to be honest.

I agree about the setup man by comitee part.

It seems every time Fredi goes "Hey You You're setting up Leo now" the pitcher doesn't pitch to there full potential. We should just have everyone who can pitch that day be aware that they could go in at any time weather its the 5th inning or its the 8th inning and fill in the pieces as the game goes along.

We don't have the pieces to play matchups. First problem, the team doesn't have a LOOGY.

We don't have the pieces to play matchups. First problem, the team doesn't have a LOOGY.

Yeah that's an issue we should have resolved this offseason with a guy that has previously been successful against LHB at the Major League level and we try to plug that hole in with Hunter Jones. :thumbdown

It also sucks that our other 2 lefties Pinto and Meyer do a better job at getting right handed batters out but they can't inherit runners or all hell breaks loose.

If we make a trade this season to make room for Stanton let's please get a solid lefty pitcher for our bullpen in that deal.

Yeah that's an issue we should have resolved this offseason with a guy that has previously been successful against LHB at the Major League level and we try to plug that hole in with Hunter Jones.

It also sucks that our other 2 lefties Pinto and Meyer do a better job at getting right handed batters out but they can't inherit runners or all hell breaks loose.

If we make a trade this season to make room for Stanton let's please get a solid lefty pitcher for our bullpen in that deal.

It's not worth it to trade an everyday player for a LOOGY. LOOGY's can be found in free agency, and can be had cheap, in the offseason. Or perhaps give up a player to be named later for one, at the trade deadline.

Also, the problem with Meyer and Pinto is that they just flat out suck right now. Even Fredi isn't trusting Pinto, at the moment. And Hunter Jones isn't gonna cut it. It's a shame Tankersley hasn't been the same for years now. He was that guy that could get the job done against lefties.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.