Dan Meyer won't be back

Admin

According to Bill Evans of the Gloucester County Times, the Phillies have signed LHP Dan Meyer to a minor league contract.

This is a worthwhile move for the Phillies, who have a real need for a left-handed reliever. Meyer, 29, was hammered for 10 runs over 9 1/3 innings with the Marlins this past season, but posted a 3.09 ERA and 56/21 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings in 2009.

RotoWorld.com

Meyer, the perfect example of the fluctuations in relievers performances from year to year.

This is why I'm perplexed as to why everyone is so excited about our new-look bullpen. Bullpens are very, very hard to project. It is in no way guaranteed that we will have a good bullpen in 2011.

Meyer, the perfect example of the fluctuations in relievers performances from year to year.

This is why I'm perplexed as to why everyone is so excited about our new-look bullpen. Bullpens are very, very hard to project. It is in no way guaranteed that we will have a good bullpen in 2011.

How can you compare Meyer to the likes of Webb/Dunn? Meyer was a journeyman, with extreme FB rates, even in his good year. His #'s actually suggested that he would regress (even if they didn't suggest he would regress as far as he did).

Meyer doesn't even compare to a Mujica, who's more of a legit arm.

One guy I'd be worried about in the bullpen (because he fits the Meyer description) is Brian Sanches.

The guys acquired this offseason though (at least Mujica, Webb, and Dunn) are different type of pen arms. They've put up legit #'s and have the stuff to back it up, long-term. The only guy I'd worry about in the group of those 3 might be Mujica because of the HR problem, but he should still be good enough in mid-relief with those amazing K/BB #'s.

How can you compare Meyer to the likes of Webb/Dunn?

Precisely. Proven guys versus a bunch of retreads who are thrown at a wall to see who sticks. Entirely different proposition from the previous few years.

Yeah, the organization has taken a different approach with the bullpen this offseason. No more "see who sticks" stuff. One can tell by Loria's comments today that they were really fed up with last year's bullpen, and who could blame them? What he said in his interview definitely had some truth to it. At the rate the offseason's going, we might only see a couple of bullpen arms from last year's pen (Hensley, Sanches) on Opening Day. Maybe the Hopper too, although it's not looking like a lock for him, if the team signs a starter. Aside from that, everyone projects to be new. I definitely think we're going to have a much better pen, next year.