Marlin Non-Roster Invitees

floridafly

http://mlb.mlb.com/t...ri.jsp?c_id=fla

There's the list for others

I think this group has interesting potential... not as interesting as last year where our whole bullpen was supposed to be found through Non-Roster Invitees, but this is a better situation. Looking for a 4th OF and lefty off the bench, Dewayne Wise fits the mold pretty well. Ruben Gotay resembles Boni, being a switch hitter and offering versatility of positions. I really wish the best for Donnie Bleepin Murphy, and hope he is completely recovered so he can fight for a spot! But... I doubt he starts off on the roster.

Dominguez is almost considered a lock if he has a good ST with the bat, as his 3rd base defense will have been the best the Marlins have seen since Mike Lowell's prime. It seems like our rotation and bullpen are pretty much set, but perhaps Koehler or Villanueva could sneak in with an amazing spring performance and a shotty performance by someone like Mujica.

I believe Matty D makes this team and I'm 50/50 on Dewayne Wise. Dewayne hasn't really shown he could hit at the MLB level that well, and I think only makes the team if he really shines past Cousins or Petersen. Which is leaning towards unlikely.

So I say only Matt makes the team out of the non-roster invitees.

Also one more thing... Dominguez isn't on the 40 man??? I swear he was...

Doesn't that mean he could have been picked up in the Rule-5 draft?

Bottom Line, the fact that nobody there has a strong chance to make this team, outside of Dominguez, just proves the depth we have this year throughout the roster. We'll probably take 2-3 of those, and thats it. Unlike past year where we just needed all those non roster guys to hopefully have a good spring and stick on the club.

To be eligible for the Rule 5, you have to be not on the 40 man roster and either:

Signed at age 19 and have been in the organization for 4 years,

or

Signed at age 18 or younger and have been in the organization for 5 years.

So basically, Dominguez hasn't been signed for a long enough period to be eligible.

To be eligible for the Rule 5, you have to be not on the 40 man roster and either:

Signed at age 19 and have been in the organization for 4 years,

or

Signed at age 18 or younger and have been in the organization for 5 years.

So basically, Dominguez hasn't been signed for a long enough period to be eligible.

Oh thanks for clearing that one up! I figured there was some sort of precaution like that, but I had no idea what it actually was.

There's the list for others

I think this group has interesting potential... not as interesting as last year where our whole bullpen was supposed to be found through Non-Roster Invitees, but this is a better situation. Looking for a 4th OF and lefty off the bench, Dewayne Wise fits the mold pretty well. Ruben Gotay resembles Boni, being a switch hitter and offering versatility of positions. I really wish the best for Donnie Bleepin Murphy, and hope he is completely recovered so he can fight for a spot! But... I doubt he starts off on the roster.

Dominguez is almost considered a lock if he has a good ST with the bat, as his 3rd base defense will have been the best the Marlins have seen since Mike Lowell's prime. It seems like our rotation and bullpen are pretty much set, but perhaps Koehler or Villanueva could sneak in with an amazing spring performance and a shotty performance by someone like Mujica.

I believe Matty D makes this team and I'm 50/50 on Dewayne Wise. Dewayne hasn't really shown he could hit at the MLB level that well, and I think only makes the team if he really shines past Cousins or Petersen. Which is leaning towards unlikely.

So I say only Matt makes the team out of the non-roster invitees.

To me that's a pretty big if. I'm not as sure as some seem to be that he breaks camp with the team. At this point in time I think he lasts until about the final week, gets designated to the minors, and they go with Plan B until he improves his bat. I would love to see him make it, just can't see how he could improve that much over the winter.

I think Greg Dobbs has the best shot, actually.

Agreed. I think he'll make it as the lefty bench bat.

None of those names excite me, not even Dominguez because no matter how good his defense is, I still refuse to believe he's ready to hit in the majors and there's no reason to start his clock. I'm actually hoping to see Helms there on OD.