Minor league rosters taking shape

fanofthefish

In Jupiter the Hammerheads should have a decent rotation.

A pair of top-ten prospects in the Florida Marlins organization highlight the Jupiter Hammerheads' Opening Day roster, which will take the field at Roger Dean Stadium on Thursday, April 7th to face the Fort Myers Miracle.

Getting the Opening Day start is left-hander Rob Rasmussen, rated by Baseball America as the Marlins' #10 prospect, despite being drafted only last summer. Just days after the Marlins selected him in the 2nd round, Rasmussen tossed six shutout innings for UCLA in the final game of the College World Series. Following him in the rotation is fellow southpaw Chad James, the Marlins' top pitching prospect and #2 prospect overall according to Baseball America. Like Rasmussen, James began the spring with the Marlins big leaguers as an invitee to Major League camp.

Rounding out the rotation are another top prospect and the pair of aces atop last year's rotation in Class-A Greensboro. Edgar Olmos gives the Hammerheads a third highly-rated left-handed starter. The 2008 3rd round pick was rated by Baseball America as the Marlins' #22 prospect entering the season. Joining him in the rotation are Matt Montgomery and Jose Alvarez, who each posted double-digit wins for Greensboro last season. Montgomery led the team with 11 wins and 135 strikeouts, while Alvarez split time as a starter and reliever and still racked up a 10-3 record, with 113 strikeouts in 108 innings.

Rosters are in and Yelich's is on the Greensboro roster. You'll also be getting Marcell Ozuna and Isaac Galloway. Also on their roster is J.T. Realmuto! They have two 1b listed along with Yelich, but I'm pretty sure he'll be in the outfield.

In Jacksonville it looks like Skipworth will start the season with the Suns with Trahern and Allison.

Suns begin play tonight... ugh, outside of Brad Hand there's not a lot of names to follow this season....

Hand, Marinez, Smolinski I guess, Trahern is there

A little suprised to see Skipworth listed, would have thought he'd start out in Jupiter.

Joey O'Gara could be interesting, big 6'7" sinkerballer picked in the 31st round, not a strikeout guy but got a ton of ground balls in Jupiter.

I really want to know what idiot in our organization thought that Skipworth should leapfrog over High A despite hitting all of .249 in LOW A.

Then again, I see that this should have been expected as he played 2 games for Jacksonville the end of last year. God knows why. I just don't get why they're rushing him when he's clearly struggled heavily at the plate.

Jupiter is a really tough park for hitters.

Perhaps, but the jump from Low A to AA is very steep for hitters, as pitchers at the AA level are throwing a lot tougher pitches to hit. There are a lot of players who hit a wall when they get to AA and can't really recover. Not sure why they would throw him into the fire so quickly considering his struggles.

I would have liked to see Skipworth another year in greensboro. He was terribly streakly but showed more power then most of the guys. It seems like its a brand new team in gboro. Not alot of identifable faces from last year.

Three years in low-A is like a death sentence :blink:

I think Skippy was ready for a promotion, just didn't see AA as a choice.

• 1 month later...