helpless Guy on wheelchair taken down by officers

FloridaMarlinsForever

lol FloridaMarlinsForever makes it sound like every time you go out on the streets cops beat on you or something....hate to break it to you buddy but abuse of power is not a US thing, its a HUMAN nature thing.

Obviously I don't know the whole story from the video, but doesn't look like the amount of force the officers used was necessary. If in fact the guy can't walk, I don't know how much 'resisting arrest' he can do. Looks like they messed him up pretty bad too, there was a lot of blood there. Clearly looks like a case were unnecessary force was used.

Video doesnt show the whole story.

Looks like he was resisting arrest. Newsflash: being wheelchair bound doesnt give you the right to resist (or be an asshole).

Cops arent stupid for the most part. There was obviously an audience. So im sure they did everything within the law.

Which country do you live in? Im sure everything is sunshine and roses over there /sarcasm

Do you not see the pool of blood on the concrete?

I don't care if he was 'resisting' (as much as a man in a wheelchair can). That's pretty sick.

Looks like he was resisting arrest. Newsflash: being wheelchair bound doesnt give you the right to resist (or be an asshole).

Cops arent stupid for the most part. There was obviously an audience. So im sure they did everything within the law.

Which country do you live in? Im sure everything is sunshine and roses over there /sarcasm

I don't care if he was 'resisting' (as much as a man in a wheelchair can). That's pretty sick.

Long hair dont care. His head hit the ground while they were arresting him. sh*t happens. They didn't stomp his head or anything. Once again we don't know the entire story. He could have been touching little kids as they passed. If that was revealed would you give a sh*t if he bled?

Umm... it was clear evidence from the video that the two officers calmly lifted the man out of his wheel chair and then threw him to the floor. Apparently by crushing his head into the pavement.

Don't give me that 'sh*t happens' bulls***. They didn't stomp his head with their feet, but they did the equivalent with their arms. Yeah, could've been an accident. But it's really hard to screw up arresting someone who is crippled.

It doesn't matter if he was touching little children. That's not how the law works. The law works so that if he was doing that he would be arrested and tried in court. If I were to have stolen something from a store and been caught/surrendered to the police, they have no right to taze me. And they shouldn't. That's not how it works.

Long hair dont care. His head hit the ground while they were arresting him. sh*t happens. They didn't stomp his head or anything. Once again we don't know the entire story. He could have been touching little kids as they passed. If that was revealed would you give a sh*t if he bled?

Umm... it was clear evidence from the video that the two officers calmly lifted the man out of his wheel chair and then threw him to the floor. Apparently by crushing his head into the pavement.

Don't give me that 'sh*t happens' bulls***. They didn't stomp his head with their feet, but they did the equivalent with their arms. Yeah, could've been an accident. But it's really hard to screw up arresting someone who is crippled.

It doesn't matter if he was touching little children. That's not how the law works. The law works so that if he was doing that he would be arrested and tried in court. If I were to have stolen something from a store and been caught/surrendered to the police, they have no right to taze me. And they shouldn't. That's not how it works.

I wouldnt put my money on that he was 'touching little children'' hes in a wheel chair for goodness sake, and Like Dr Beinfest says, even if he was that does not give the cops the right to almost kill him, I mean touching a kid IS different then shooting at random people lets say. I agree we dont know the whole story, but police abuse has happened in the past and is happening everyday.

Yes, the man clearly hit his own head on the pavement. Nothing to do with the fact that the cops threw him into the floor. They didn't 'put him on his stomach'.

Stop using the word resisting. He's hardly resisting arrest. He's more like waving his arms a bit. He didn't hit a cop. He didn't try and run. He just didn't want to be grabbed. Yeah, as if the cops couldn't have done that a bit softer.

Yeah, that's all I'm trying to do. Be cool by thinking cops are dirty and stuff. You caught me. I don't think all cops are evil. Actually, truth is you're just playing minority in this argument for the sake of argument. It's quite obvious that regardless of what the man was doing, based upon this video the cops were way too rough when subduing the suspect.

I'm really not going to continue on with this though mainly because of your little ending right there. You just clearly said 'handicapped people are still people' but then you take a wild turn and generalize them the exact opposite way that you're accusing us of doing. They're assholes, now? No, being handicapped has nothing to do with one's personality.

Something clearly happened before filming started for the person filming this to decides to get a camera out. It obviously wasn't caught on camera, but something happened. I know it would take me at least 10-15 seconds to react, get my phone out, scroll to camera and hit record. That leaves a pretty large window for things to happen without us seeing them. Also, for all we know, those flailing arms could have been trying to grab the cop's gun off of his hip.

I am interested to hear what comes out of this. If the cops acted like that in the wrong, then obviously things will be very bad for them. However, I am under the assumption that the guys in the wheelchair did something enough for somebody to get a phone out to record. Until further evidence comes out, I'm gonna have to side with the cops.

We are also all under the assumption that just because he is in a wheelchair, he is crippled. As somebody with a few officers in their family, I can say that you never take anything for granted. That's how you end up shot or stabbed.

How much experience do you have with the handicapped? Im going to guess very little. When you spend every single day of 11 years with people with a wide variety of handicaps then you can tell me how thry tend to be. Until then, your opinion is as limited as your experience. Yes, being handicapped does effect ones personality.

He was probably resisting. You said it yourself. Of course they could have been gentler. He also could have had a gun, needles, knife etc. You are defending someone in a video that doesnt show the entire scenarion. There are too few facts. The only observation is that he was probably resisting. Cue jim carey "stop breaking the law asshole." He was thrown to the ground and cuffed. His head hit the pavement and he was bleeding.

What is the backstory? This is the internet it must be somewhere.

:rolleyes:

Oh, so you can say something stupid and try and defend it with that logic? My uncle had MS. He'd been in a wheelchair my entire life, previous do his death four years ago. He was one of the kindest people I know. Rest in piece.

So please, shut up.

And no, he's not the only handicapped person I've encountered on a regular basis.

I wouldnt put my money on that he was 'touching little children'' hes in a wheel chair for goodness sake, and Like Dr Beinfest says, even if he was that does not give the cops the right to almost kill him, I mean touching a kid IS different then shooting at random people lets say. I agree we dont know the whole story, but police abuse has happened in the past and is happening everyday.

So people in wheelchairs can't touch little children?

You know, they're already given special benefits. You don't have to make them above the law.

Im sorry for your uncle but like I said before you have limited experience and its with family members. From my experience (11 years and many forms) handicapped people tend to be assholes.

Also in your title where you say helpless guy on wheelchair...they hate that. They arent helpless.

Check who started the topic before you go pointing fingers. I wouldn't have named the topic in such a fashion.

If you worked at a hospital is what you're trying to imply? I worked in transportation for about five months at Delray Medical. People in hospitals are cranky, but even then they're not all 'assholes'.

We have no idea what happened and are watching only the end of the incident.

Nobody was calling the man innocent.

It's the nature of the arrest that's wrong. The police offers did not have to be that rough in order to subdue the suspect at hand. There were two police officers and one suspect, who was already in the presence of the police officer and certainly not at risk of fleeing custody. Plus (this is an assumption) it sounded like backup was just arriving, anyways.

It doesn't matter what crime the suspect committed. Unless he was pulling a weapon on the officers (and that clearly does not happen in the video) they have no reason to aggressively throw him into the floor like that. A police officer is not at liberty to punish someone who committed a crime, just apprehend them. They can use force if the situation calls for it. Regardless of the facts before this video, the facts in this video show that excessive force were taken.

Although these cops probably aren't stupid. The suspect was probably technically 'resisting arrest' and they probably know what they're allowed to do. That level of force is probably 'legal' because the suspect was 'resisting arrest' and nothing will happen to these cops.

That doesn't make it right.

Thought you had posted it. Sorry.

Not a hospital. It was a service that helped the handicapped experience their city. We took them to the zoo, seaquarium, shows, parks, the keys, etc. pretty much any place in florida that is fun and worth seeing. I know what im talking about. I know its hard to wrap your head around the fact that the handicapped can break laws and do damage but they can. They arent victims. Like I said they tend to be assholes.

Really, dude? You need to quit with that.

Nobody said that 'all handicapped people are innocent and cannot commit a crime'. Nobody implied that. I think we're all mentally capable of processing the fact that each person has their own individual personality.

Nobody called them a victim. But just because you felt that in your experience with handicapped people made them to seem like assholes doesn't make every handicapped person an asshole. That's generalizing, and generalizing is stupid. It doesn't matter if there's a bias or a general stereotype present for a group of people. There's no reason to generalize anybody, because you're sounding just as guilty as the people you're accusing of watching this video and saying that handicapped people often break laws and do damage and aren't victims and whatnot.

Besides, nothing in my posts ever had anything to do with the man being handicapped. Rather, what I've been noting is the level of force used as opposed to the level of force required to apprehend the suspect. In which this case, the two did not match up. It just so happens that the fact that the man is in a wheelchair does indeed lower the level of force required to apprehend him. That is all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.