May 25, 201115 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110523&content_id=19451200&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla
May 25, 201115 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=fla You stole my Idea to call Stanton the terminator Model T-800/850 You know why we call him the terminator? Becuase he is not human, Last night the giant commentators said he hit one of the longest ball in that ballparks history during BP. One of these days he will peel back his skin and reveal who is really is...
May 25, 201115 yr Author http://mlb.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=fla You stole my Idea to call Stanton the terminator Model T-800/850 You know why we call him the terminator? Becuase he is not human, Last night the giant commentators said he hit one of the longest ball in that ballparks history during BP. One of these days he will peel back his skin and reveal who is really is... I expanded on you saying he was a machine, didn't know that was where you were going with it. I really wanted to make a pic of Mike's face with bits of metal showing here and there underneath but I lack the ability to do that
May 25, 201115 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=fla You stole my Idea to call Stanton the terminator Model T-800/850 You know why we call him the terminator? Becuase he is not human, Last night the giant commentators said he hit one of the longest ball in that ballparks history during BP. One of these days he will peel back his skin and reveal who is really is... I expanded on you saying he was a machine, didn't know that was where you were going with it. I really wanted to make a pic of Mike's face with bits of metal showing here and there underneath but I lack the ability to do that ''wanted to make a pic of Mike's face with bits of metal showing here and there underneath'' Thats a great Idea
May 25, 201115 yr I can't think of a Marlins player who excited me so much during each AB. Gary Sheffield & Miguel Cabrera >>>>>>>>>> Stanton
May 25, 201115 yr Author I can't think of a Marlins player who excited me so much during each AB. Gary Sheffield & Miguel Cabrera >>>>>>>>>> Stanton Blasphemy
May 26, 201115 yr I can't think of a Marlins player who excited me so much during each AB. Gary Sheffield & Miguel Cabrera >>>>>>>>>> Stanton
May 26, 201115 yr Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all.
May 26, 201115 yr Author I was working at a bar tonight and they had the 19 inning Phillies game on. Now anyone who is familiar with Philly Comcast knows that they don't show a sports ticker at the bottom of the screen during games (which annoys the hell outta me). A friend of mine who is a Phillies fan checked on his phone and said the score was 6-2 but didn't know who did what in the game. My first thought was: 6 runs!!! I wonder what Mikey did... This kid is a talent who will only get better with age and experience... We are only seeing this kid at the beginning. I'm already hearing Phillies fans say that the two players they are gonna fear in the coming years are Mikey and Harper (Nationals)
May 26, 201115 yr Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all. Mike Stanton will never have a year as good as Sheffield's 1996. Miguel Cabrera never has either. You guys are being ridiculous. Sheffield was an incredible hitter.
May 26, 201115 yr Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all. Mike Stanton will never have a year as good as Sheffield's 1996. You guys are being ridiculous. You definitely like to sell Stanton short. That is not in question. I personally would be very surprised if Stanton does not OPS over 1.100 in a season during his career.
May 26, 201115 yr Author Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all. Mike Stanton will never have a year as good as Sheffield's 1996. Miguel Cabrera never has either. You guys are being ridiculous. Sheffield was an incredible hitter. Good to know you can foresee Mike's future.
May 26, 201115 yr Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all. Mike Stanton will never have a year as good as Sheffield's 1996. You guys are being ridiculous. You definitely like to sell Stanton short. That is not in question. I personally would be very surprised if Stanton does not OPS over 1.100 in a season during his career. I like to sell him short because I'm not willing to guarantee him leading the league in home runs or putting up one of the 100 greatest individual season in major league history? You know how many individual seasons in major league history have seen an OPS greater than 1.090 with more than 150 Ks? 2. You know how many individual seasons in major league history have seen an OPS greater than 1.090 with more than 125 Ks? 5. Do you know how many individual seasons there are in major league history with at least 450 PAs? 13,193. Players who strike out as much as Mike Stanton do not put up 1.100 OPS. The only ones who did were on steroids or walked well over 100 times per season. There have been 94 seasons in major league history in which a player has had at least 450 PAs and a 1.090 OPS. You are saying you will be VERY surprised if Mike Stanton doesn't put up at least one full season in his career which ranks amongst the top .07% of all individual seasons ever. That's absolutely ridiculous.
May 26, 201115 yr Gary Sheffield doesn't compare to Stanton. No offense, Shef, but you just aren't on the same level. Miguel Cabrera is a different beast. He is on the same level as Stanton, but I think Mike has the edge. His raw power just is greater than Cabrera's power. Not by much, but enough to be significant. Which is saying a lot as I fully expect Miguel to be top 10 in homeruns at the end of his career, personal problems and all. Mike Stanton will never have a year as good as Sheffield's 1996. You guys are being ridiculous. You definitely like to sell Stanton short. That is not in question. I personally would be very surprised if Stanton does not OPS over 1.100 in a season during his career. I like to sell him short because I'm not willing to guarantee him leading the league in home runs or putting up one of the 100 greatest individual season in major league history? You know how many individual seasons in major league history have seen an OPS greater than 1.090 with more than 150 Ks? 2. You know how many individual seasons in major league history have seen an OPS greater than 1.090 with more than 125 Ks? 5. Do you know how many individual seasons there are in major league history with at least 450 PAs? 13,193. Players who strike out as much as Mike Stanton do not put up 1.100 OPS. The only ones who did were on steroids or walked well over 100 times per season. There have been 94 seasons in major league history in which a player has had at least 450 PAs and a 1.090 OPS. You are saying you will be surprised if Mike Stanton doesn't put up at least one full season in his career which ranks amongst the top .07% of all individual seasons ever. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't think it is ridiculous in the least. Stanton is what some people call a generational talent. But I think he is even greater. Read some of the quotes on him from other ballplayers. Open your eyes and see what he is capable of. Look at what he is doing as a 21-year-old this season. I think he is probably the best position player the Marlins have ever produced and will ever produce. His talent his undeniable and it is being recognized now by everyone in baseball. But you keep on fighting the good fight. Or some kind of fight. I just hope you enjoy the taste of crow.
May 26, 201115 yr I don't think it is ridiculous in the least. Stanton is what some people call a generational talent. But I think he is even greater. Read some of the quotes on him from other ballplayers. Open your eyes and see what he is capable of. Look at what he is doing as a 21-year-old this season. I think he is probably the best position player the Marlins have ever produced and will ever produce. His talent his undeniable and it is being recognized now by everyone in baseball. But you keep on fighting the good fight. Or some kind of fight. I just hope you enjoy the taste of crow. Who is denying his talent? Who isn't opening their eyes? Who isn't looking at what he's doing? It's absolutely f***ing ridiculous that you would try to paint me as a Mike Stanton "hater" simply because I don't think he's going to be one of the handful of best players in the history of baseball. Ken Griffey Jr. Willie Mays Alex Rodriguez Mike Schmidt Miguel Cabrera Hanley Ramirez Vladimir Guerrero Ty Cobb Chipper Jones Hank Aaron No "generational talents" in that group, eh? Because none of them every put up an OPS of 1.090. Only 33 players in the history of the game have put up a 1.090 in a season. But yeah, I'm a hater. I'm the one being unrealistic. Look at what Mike Stanton's doing as a 21 year old? Look at what Alex Rodriguez did as a 20 year old. Look at what Mel Ott did as a 20-21 year old. Go look at what Eddie Matthews did as a 21 year old. None of those guys ever put up a 1.090 OPS for a full season in their careers. Mike Stanton already is an awesome player RIGHT NOW, and he's going to be perennial all star for a really long time. Why isn't it enough to just say that? Why do we have to say he's going to be one of the best players in the history of baseball? And why does saying he won't be one of the top 25 players EVER make me "someone who likes doubting Stanton," as if I'm the one being unrealistic. It's ok to say "Boy, this guy's a great player" and not put the weight of Albert Pujols on his shoulders. All I'm trying to do is point out how completely unrealistic your expectations for him are. If he puts up a 1.090 OPS, I'll be right there with you cheering as loud as anyone. But I don't expect it to ever happen, because for all intents and purposes in the history of major league baseball, it doesn't. .07% of the time. And actually, it happens even more rarely than that, since 80% of the individual seasons happened either between 1919-1939 or 1993-2003, eras of notorious offensive explosions. And Mike Stanton is moving into a park that resembles Petco in it's dimensions. The chances of this happening are so exceedingly rare, that if Vegas was to take bets, they'd probably open the line at 1000::1.
May 26, 201115 yr I don't think it is ridiculous in the least. Stanton is what some people call a generational talent. But I think he is even greater. Read some of the quotes on him from other ballplayers. Open your eyes and see what he is capable of. Look at what he is doing as a 21-year-old this season. I think he is probably the best position player the Marlins have ever produced and will ever produce. His talent his undeniable and it is being recognized now by everyone in baseball. But you keep on fighting the good fight. Or some kind of fight. I just hope you enjoy the taste of crow. Who is denying his talent? Who isn't opening their eyes? Who isn't looking at what he's doing? It's absolutely f***ing ridiculous that you would try to paint me as a Mike Stanton "hater" simply because I don't think he's going to be one of the handful of best players in the history of baseball. Ken Griffey Jr. Willie Mays Alex Rodriguez Mike Schmidt Miguel Cabrera Hanley Ramirez Vladimir Guerrero Ty Cobb Chipper Jones Hank Aaron No "generational talents" in that group, eh? Because none of them every put up an OPS of 1.090. Only 33 players in the history of the game have put up a 1.090 in a season. But yeah, I'm a hater. I'm the one being unrealistic. Look at what Mike Stanton's doing as a 21 year old? Look at what Alex Rodriguez did as a 20 year old. Look at what Mel Ott did as a 20-21 year old. Go look at what Eddie Matthews did as a 21 year old. None of those guys ever put up a 1.090 OPS for a full season in their careers. Mike Stanton already is an awesome player RIGHT NOW, and he's going to be perennial all star for a really long time. Why isn't it enough to just say that? Why do we have to say he's going to be one of the best players in the history of baseball? And why does saying he won't be one of the top 25 players EVER make me "someone who likes doubting Stanton," as if I'm the one being unrealistic. It's ok to say "Boy, this guy's a great player" and not put the weight of Albert Pujols on his shoulders. All I'm trying to do is point out how completely unrealistic your expectations for him are. If he puts up a 1.090 OPS, I'll be right there with you cheering as loud as anyone. But I don't expect it to ever happen, because for all intents and purposes in the history of major league baseball, it doesn't. .07% of the time. And actually, it happens even more rarely than that, since 80% of the individual seasons happened either between 1919-1939 or 1993-2003, eras of notorious offensive explosions. And Mike Stanton is moving into a park that resembles Petco in it's dimensions. The chances of this happening are so exceedingly rare, that if Vegas was to take bets, they'd probably open the line at 1000::1. I put me money on Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton.
May 26, 201115 yr Yeah the 1996 Gary Sheffield season was amazing, Stanton will never be able to sniff a ops of over 1.000 with his current strike out problems, and the best hitting talent the Marlins produced is none other than Miguel Cabrera, i'll take a 330 average and 30hr over 260 and 45 any day, anyway that's not even a fair, it's basically like comparing a prime Admin Walker to Preston Wilson.
May 26, 201115 yr Yeah the 1996 Gary Sheffield season was amazing, Stanton will never be able to sniff a ops of over 1.000 with his current strike out problems, and the best hitting talent the Marlins produced is none other than Miguel Cabrera, i'll take a 330 average and 30hr over 260 and 45 any day, anyway that's not even a fair, it's basically like comparing a prime Admin Walker to Preston Wilson. He is already sniffing 1.000 OPS with a strikeout "problem" that is going to diminish as he matures.
May 26, 201115 yr Guys who strike out ~35% of the time don't really ever bring that down to normal levels. You can live with it because of the power and (presumably) walks, but the strikeouts will most likely always be there. He's probably alwAys going to strike out > 150 per year, which is going to severely limit his ability to hit for a high average. And .924 isn't really "sniffing" 1.000, is it? It's not about criticizing here, it's about tempering expectations and being realistic about who he is.
May 26, 201115 yr Yeah the 1996 Gary Sheffield season was amazing, Stanton will never be able to sniff a ops of over 1.000 with his current strike out problems, and the best hitting talent the Marlins produced is none other than Miguel Cabrera, i'll take a 330 average and 30hr over 260 and 45 any day, anyway that's not even a fair, it's basically like comparing a prime Admin Walker to Preston Wilson. So Mike Stanton is Preston Wilson? You're a very boring troll.
May 26, 201115 yr I don't think it is ridiculous in the least. Stanton is what some people call a generational talent. But I think he is even greater. Read some of the quotes on him from other ballplayers. Open your eyes and see what he is capable of. Look at what he is doing as a 21-year-old this season. I think he is probably the best position player the Marlins have ever produced and will ever produce. His talent his undeniable and it is being recognized now by everyone in baseball. But you keep on fighting the good fight. Or some kind of fight. I just hope you enjoy the taste of crow. Who is denying his talent? Who isn't opening their eyes? Who isn't looking at what he's doing? It's absolutely f***ing ridiculous that you would try to paint me as a Mike Stanton "hater" simply because I don't think he's going to be one of the handful of best players in the history of baseball. Ken Griffey Jr. Willie Mays Alex Rodriguez Mike Schmidt Miguel Cabrera Hanley Ramirez Vladimir Guerrero Ty Cobb Chipper Jones Hank Aaron No "generational talents" in that group, eh? Because none of them every put up an OPS of 1.090. Only 33 players in the history of the game have put up a 1.090 in a season. But yeah, I'm a hater. I'm the one being unrealistic. Look at what Mike Stanton's doing as a 21 year old? Look at what Alex Rodriguez did as a 20 year old. Look at what Mel Ott did as a 20-21 year old. Go look at what Eddie Matthews did as a 21 year old. None of those guys ever put up a 1.090 OPS for a full season in their careers. Mike Stanton already is an awesome player RIGHT NOW, and he's going to be perennial all star for a really long time. Why isn't it enough to just say that? Why do we have to say he's going to be one of the best players in the history of baseball? And why does saying he won't be one of the top 25 players EVER make me "someone who likes doubting Stanton," as if I'm the one being unrealistic. It's ok to say "Boy, this guy's a great player" and not put the weight of Albert Pujols on his shoulders. All I'm trying to do is point out how completely unrealistic your expectations for him are. If he puts up a 1.090 OPS, I'll be right there with you cheering as loud as anyone. But I don't expect it to ever happen, because for all intents and purposes in the history of major league baseball, it doesn't. .07% of the time. And actually, it happens even more rarely than that, since 80% of the individual seasons happened either between 1919-1939 or 1993-2003, eras of notorious offensive explosions. And Mike Stanton is moving into a park that resembles Petco in it's dimensions. The chances of this happening are so exceedingly rare, that if Vegas was to take bets, they'd probably open the line at 1000::1. This is worthy of memes and leetspeak. PBC is the smartest of the extreme overexaggerators, but still an extreme overexaggerator.
May 26, 201115 yr Yeah the 1996 Gary Sheffield season was amazing, Stanton will never be able to sniff a ops of over 1.000 with his current strike out problems, and the best hitting talent the Marlins produced is none other than Miguel Cabrera, i'll take a 330 average and 30hr over 260 and 45 any day, anyway that's not even a fair, it's basically like comparing a prime Admin Walker to Preston Wilson. So Mike Stanton is Preston Wilson? You're a very boring troll. Don't tell me you think he is Admin Walker
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.