July 6, 201115 yr Jose Bautista, Nyjer Morgan, Chris Young, Snell, Duke, Maholm, Gorzelanny, Alvarez just to name a few and look at their starting rotation Corria 11-6 - 3.74 Maholm 5-9 - 3.08 Morton 7-4 - 3.63 McDonald 5-4 - 4.44 Karstens 7-4 - 2.55 Are you serious? That is a pretty fantastic young staff they have right there, and it's way better than what we have going out for us right now. Compare that to what the Marlins have right now and eh... do we really have some pitcher that can come in and put up decent numbers like that besides Sanabia? I count 4 on the Pirates with just those in the majors. I'm nervous about JJ if he gets healthy again and pitches great well then fantastic, but when is he going to break down again he has shown no signs of being able to stay healthy, which could really put us in the crapper if he doesn't pan out. Pitching wins games and we don't have a lot of it. Uh... Kevin Corriea is a 31 year old who was drafted by the Giants in 2002. Paul Maholm is 29. James Mcdonald was acquired in a trade and is 26. Charlie Morton is 27 and was acquired in a trade. Jeff Karstens is 29 and was acquired in a trade. Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Chris Volstad are all younger than all but two of them, and only Nolasco is older than Morton. That's not a "fantastic young staff," and it's not the product of some insane farm system. They're pitching really well right now, but most of them don't have a track record or skill set that would indicate this is sustainable. And your list of players "developed' by the Pirates features a lot of guys who were acquired through trade or who are no better than Coghlan, Stanton, Morrison, G. Sanchez, Johnson, Willingham, Hermida, and Volstad, just to name some completely home grown guys who made their debuts in the last 6 years here, not to mention the guys we've acquired through trades. The Pirates farm system is better than ours right now. They have graduated 3 potential All Stars and a Rookie of the Year in the last 2+ seasons like we have. Whatever dude.
July 6, 201115 yr And that's why "uhhhh" is usually the appropriate response to you. Anything else is a waste of time.
July 6, 201115 yr Jose Bautista, Nyjer Morgan, Chris Young, Snell, Duke, Maholm, Gorzelanny, Alvarez just to name a few and look at their starting rotation Corria 11-6 - 3.74 Maholm 5-9 - 3.08 Morton 7-4 - 3.63 McDonald 5-4 - 4.44 Karstens 7-4 - 2.55 Are you serious? That is a pretty fantastic young staff they have right there, and it's way better than what we have going out for us right now. Compare that to what the Marlins have right now and eh... do we really have some pitcher that can come in and put up decent numbers like that besides Sanabia? I count 4 on the Pirates with just those in the majors. I'm nervous about JJ if he gets healthy again and pitches great well then fantastic, but when is he going to break down again he has shown no signs of being able to stay healthy, which could really put us in the crapper if he doesn't pan out. Pitching wins games and we don't have a lot of it. Uh... Kevin Corriea is a 31 year old who was drafted by the Giants in 2002. Paul Maholm is 29. James Mcdonald was acquired in a trade and is 26. Charlie Morton is 27 and was acquired in a trade. Jeff Karstens is 29 and was acquired in a trade. Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Chris Volstad are all younger than all but two of them, and only Nolasco is older than Morton. That's not a "fantastic young staff," and it's not the product of some insane farm system. They're pitching really well right now, but most of them don't have a track record or skill set that would indicate this is sustainable. And your list of players "developed' by the Pirates features a lot of guys who were acquired through trade or who are no better than Coghlan, Stanton, Morrison, G. Sanchez, Johnson, Willingham, Hermida, and Volstad, just to name some completely home grown guys who made their debuts in the last 6 years here, not to mention the guys we've acquired through trades. The Pirates farm system is better than ours right now. They have graduated 3 potential All Stars and a Rookie of the Year in the last 2+ seasons like we have. Whatever dude. Wow. You get a legit reply and that's what you have to say? And this theory would only make sense anyway if you define your parameters further, because drafting Jose Bautista but then trading him when he is both cheap and not very good doesn't say a damn thing about a team's ability to evaluate talent. It probably makes their talent evaluation look even worse, actually.
July 6, 201115 yr Jose Bautista, Nyjer Morgan, Chris Young, Snell, Duke, Maholm, Gorzelanny, Alvarez just to name a few and look at their starting rotation Corria 11-6 - 3.74 Maholm 5-9 - 3.08 Morton 7-4 - 3.63 McDonald 5-4 - 4.44 Karstens 7-4 - 2.55 Are you serious? That is a pretty fantastic young staff they have right there, and it's way better than what we have going out for us right now. Compare that to what the Marlins have right now and eh... do we really have some pitcher that can come in and put up decent numbers like that besides Sanabia? I count 4 on the Pirates with just those in the majors. I'm nervous about JJ if he gets healthy again and pitches great well then fantastic, but when is he going to break down again he has shown no signs of being able to stay healthy, which could really put us in the crapper if he doesn't pan out. Pitching wins games and we don't have a lot of it. Uh... Kevin Corriea is a 31 year old who was drafted by the Giants in 2002. Paul Maholm is 29. James Mcdonald was acquired in a trade and is 26. Charlie Morton is 27 and was acquired in a trade. Jeff Karstens is 29 and was acquired in a trade. Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Chris Volstad are all younger than all but two of them, and only Nolasco is older than Morton. That's not a "fantastic young staff," and it's not the product of some insane farm system. They're pitching really well right now, but most of them don't have a track record or skill set that would indicate this is sustainable. And your list of players "developed' by the Pirates features a lot of guys who were acquired through trade or who are no better than Coghlan, Stanton, Morrison, G. Sanchez, Johnson, Willingham, Hermida, and Volstad, just to name some completely home grown guys who made their debuts in the last 6 years here, not to mention the guys we've acquired through trades. The Pirates farm system is better than ours right now. They have graduated 3 potential All Stars and a Rookie of the Year in the last 2+ seasons like we have. Whatever dude. Wow. You get a legit reply and that's what you have to say? And this theory would only make sense anyway if you define your parameters further, because drafting Jose Bautista but then trading him when he is both cheap and not very good doesn't say a damn thing about a team's ability to evaluate talent. It probably makes their talent evaluation look even worse, actually. Hey trolly, why are you so concerned with me? I think I have a new fan. LOLZ! ...but seriously. When you start arguing about what you consider a "young" staff and what you think is an "old" staff your argument dies with your post. I hate posters who jump into debates without actually having a reason. Let me jump in because this guy just called me out for what I am in another thread and another user agreed with him and made me feel bad, and now "I MUST BE SUPERIOR!!!!" ELITIST MARCH! Hey mystikol87, how about this I will send you my autograph in the mail it will be on a tissue with my tears, you can sleep with it. :lol
July 6, 201115 yr Your ability to know everyone else's internal motivation at all times is nothing short of incredible. Especially when one considers how astoundingly dumb you appear to be on all other topics at all times. Amazing! Yes, I disagreed with your characterization of a staff exactly as old as Florida's as "young" because of that incredible destruction you posted of me last night. When you make a statement that can be verified factually, you don't get to hide behind "it's my opinion." the Average age of a major league pitcher this year is 28.4. They aren't a young staff, they are average. You made a factual statement that is incorrect. I didn't disagree with you because you criticized me last night, I disagreed with you because you used a set of incorrect facts to criticize the Marlins, and your criticism is off base. You tried to argue that the pirates internally developed a fantastic young starting staff; in reality, they aren't a young staff, and they didnt develop that staff.
July 6, 201115 yr I don't even know how much was aimed at you or aimed at me. I responded to the Pirates post early on. And now GFGM hates people who jump into debates "without a reason" - I suppose factually-verifiable disputes don't constitute "reasons" in his opinion - even though he simultaneously talks about how message boards are for debate and discussion and we should listen and respond civilly.
July 6, 201115 yr Your ability to know everyone else's internal motivation at all times is nothing short of incredible. Especially when one considers how astoundingly dumb you appear to be on all other topics at all times. Amazing! Yes, I disagreed with your characterization of a staff exactly as old as Florida's as "young" because of that incredible destruction you posted of me last night. When you make a statement that can be verified factually, you don't get to hide behind "it's my opinion." the Average age of a major league pitcher this year is 28.4. They aren't a young staff, they are average. You made a factual statement that is incorrect. I didn't disagree with you because you criticized me last night, I disagreed with you because you used a set of incorrect facts to criticize the Marlins, and your criticism is off base. You tried to argue that the pirates internally developed a fantastic young starting staff; in reality, they aren't a young staff, and they didnt develop that staff. A couple of things first off: Florida's staff is young too.... minus that one old guy. Secondly arguing about what is "young" and what is "old" is like arguing over what color looks better on the Marlins "black" or "teal", well we would have to say that facts say "black" looks better because more MLB teams have the color black in their uniforms than teal. It's an irrelevant point that was taken out of the fact that the Pirates have developed some good young players over the past few years, the topic I covered wasn't even about their age, that was a path you chose to go down. So when I say "Whatever, dude" trust me it isn't because I have nothing else to say it's because: 1. It's a retarded argument. 2. The Pirates staff is as "young" as the Marlins staff. 3. Why would you argue something like this with facts? I'm pretty sure an entire staff under 30 would be considered a "young" staff. But here since you want me to use "facts" on this retarded argument I will, every staff in the NL East has a starting pitcher over 30, The Pirates have 0 over 30. If you would like me to continue on I will although I don't really think thats necessary. I'm done, i have nothing else to say and cannot believe I even had to go here with this argument, our team sucks so bad that we are arguing over the age of the Pirates rotation and whether it is "young" or "old" and then comparing that with the Marlins. EDIT: Also I never said the Pirates starting pitching staff was home grown, that was an assumption you made.
July 6, 201115 yr The Pirates didn't keep those players because they weren't any good. Bautista became a superstar in Toronto. And that's the only player worth mentioning because the rest just flat out suck. If anything, they would be a lot worse if they would've kept Nyjer Morgan. McCutchen is an upgrade in CF, and the Morgan trade got them Hanrahan. Morgan is nothing more than a mediocre headcase.
July 6, 201115 yr Your ability to know everyone else's internal motivation at all times is nothing short of incredible. Especially when one considers how astoundingly dumb you appear to be on all other topics at all times. Amazing! Yes, I disagreed with your characterization of a staff exactly as old as Florida's as "young" because of that incredible destruction you posted of me last night. When you make a statement that can be verified factually, you don't get to hide behind "it's my opinion." the Average age of a major league pitcher this year is 28.4. They aren't a young staff, they are average. You made a factual statement that is incorrect. I didn't disagree with you because you criticized me last night, I disagreed with you because you used a set of incorrect facts to criticize the Marlins, and your criticism is off base. You tried to argue that the pirates internally developed a fantastic young starting staff; in reality, they aren't a young staff, and they didnt develop that staff. A couple of things first off: Florida's staff is young too.... minus that one old guy. Secondly arguing about what is "young" and what is "old" is like arguing over what color looks better on the Marlins "black" or "teal", well we would have to say that facts say "black" looks better because more MLB teams have the color black in their uniforms than teal. It's an irrelevant point that was taken out of the fact that the Pirates have developed some good young players over the past few years, the topic I covered wasn't even about their age, that was a path you chose to go down. So when I say "Whatever, dude" trust me it isn't because I have nothing else to say it's because: 1. It's a retarded argument. 2. The Pirates staff is as "young" as the Marlins staff. 3. Why would you argue something like this with facts? I'm pretty sure an entire staff under 30 would be considered a "young" staff. But here since you want me to use "facts" on this retarded argument I will, every staff in the NL East has a starting pitcher over 30, The Pirates have 0 over 30. If you would like me to continue on I will although I don't really think thats necessary. I'm done, i have nothing else to say and cannot believe I even had to go here with this argument, our team sucks so bad that we are arguing over the age of the Pirates rotation and whether it is "young" or "old" and then comparing that with the Marlins. EDIT: Also I never said the Pirates starting pitching staff was home grown, that was an assumption you made. Kevin Correia is over 30.
July 6, 201115 yr Uh well kinda, except the fact that their farm systems own our farm system. The Pirates have developed so many names the last 5 years, although with the payroll they have they let most of those players go. We literally have no one (in essence) in the minors that will be coming up and the pitching or at least known pitchers, beyond Sanabia there is no one. The pitcher thing could be a problem for years to come if we don't start acquiring good young talent. Who are all these "so many names" that the Pirates have developed from within their system? Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker? The fact that the Pirates are playing so much better than the Marlins this year shows how much the Marlins have underachieved. Compare both rosters, and you can't really say "omgz the Pirates are so much more talented now!" As for next year, it'd be nice to get that guy Josh Johnson back. Maybe he can last a full year, for a change; that would be sweet. Jose Bautista, Nyjer Morgan, Chris Young, Snell, Duke, Maholm, Gorzelanny, Alvarez just to name a few and look at their starting rotation Corria 11-6 - 3.74 Maholm 5-9 - 3.08 Morton 7-4 - 3.63 McDonald 5-4 - 4.44 Karstens 7-4 - 2.55 Are you serious? That is a pretty fantastic young staff they have right there, and it's way better than what we have going out for us right now. Compare that to what the Marlins have right now and eh... do we really have some pitcher that can come in and put up decent numbers like that besides Sanabia? I count 4 on the Pirates with just those in the majors. Secondly arguing about what is "young" and what is "old" is like arguing over what color looks better on the Marlins "black" or "teal", well we would have to say that facts say "black" looks better because more MLB teams have the color black in their uniforms than teal. It's an irrelevant point that was taken out of the fact that the Pirates have developed some good young players over the past few years, the topic I covered wasn't even about their age, that was a path you chose to go down. So when I say "Whatever, dude" trust me it isn't because I have nothing else to say it's because: 1. It's a retarded argument. 2. The Pirates staff is as "young" as the Marlins staff. 3. Why would you argue something like this with facts? I'm pretty sure an entire staff under 30 would be considered a "young" staff. But here since you want me to use "facts" on this retarded argument I will, every staff in the NL East has a starting pitcher over 30, The Pirates have 0 over 30. If you would like me to continue on I will although I don't really think thats necessary. I'm done, i have nothing else to say and cannot believe I even had to go here with this argument, our team sucks so bad that we are arguing over the age of the Pirates rotation and whether it is "young" or "old" and then comparing that with the Marlins. EDIT: Also I never said the Pirates starting pitching staff was home grown, that was an assumption you made. Please do.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.