Tony La Russa retires

True CRaysball

I think this rocks the boat atlittle bit. It throws a big what-if into Pujols mind. Like someone else said, Im sure Pujols will want to know who he is playing for before accepting a big deal even if money is the bigger demand.

I think you are overestimating the degree to which this matters.

If some team comes forward and makes an offer that no other team can match, Pujols won't care one bit about who the manager is. Remember that Pujols is probably looking at a 7 year deal at the minimum. Managers rarely stay put for that long and often depart unexpectedly (as we are seeing now with La Russa).

I think this rocks the boat atlittle bit. It throws a big what-if into Pujols mind. Like someone else said, Im sure Pujols will want to know who he is playing for before accepting a big deal even if money is the bigger demand.

I think you are overestimating the degree to which this matters.

If some team comes forward and makes an offer that no other team can match, Pujols won't care one bit about who the manager is. Remember that Pujols is probably looking at a 7 year deal at the minimum. Managers rarely stay put for that long and often depart unexpectedly (as we are seeing now with La Russa).

But it still does matter though. Maybe not as much as i think but, these guys are human just like us. I know I have taken jobs for less money because i dont get along with a boss. Not that your saying it doesnt matter completley, but i dont think these multi-millionaires are immune to wanting to work with someone like, even if it means taking less money.

It matters, but probably matters very little depending on the length of the contract. For a one or two year deal it might factor in. For a 8-9 year deal (what Pujols is expected to get), it probably doesn't matter much at all.

There is more volatility in MLB managerial positions I'd imagine than there is in other professions. Imagine if Pujols did agree on a contract extension for 9 years during the season under the assumption that LaRussa would be managing only to find out later that he was retiring.

I actually don't think there is another job in the world that rivals a MLB manager in terms of the lack of job security. Players and agents are smart enough to realize this so they probably don't give the manager much consideration when it comes to long term contracts.