Fantasy help needed!

mystikol87

I got suckered into a league. Standard categories, except for OBP instead of AVG, and Quality Wins instead of Innings Pitched.

Draft at 2:45 EST today. I've done no research nor have I ever played before. Tips? Help finding a cheat sheet to guide my drafting? HELP ME PLEASE! :)

My advice:

Make sure not to fall behind when drafting your best pitchers.

Don't draft 1st or 3rd basemen with early picks unless you're drafting the best players like Miguel Cabrera. Otherwise, you're better off taking 2B, SS, OF, C, etc.

What do you mean by the bolded? Don't draft too many pitchers at the expense of position players?

Other way round.

Make sure you don't get too caught up in drafting good position players. Pitchers can usually be found midseason, but quality pitchers are hard to find. Guys like Roy Halladay or Justin Verlander will go quickly and they're the core of many teams. I suggest you go for some guys like that with your 1st or 2nd pick. Just try to keep it balanced between drafting position players and pitchers.

But again, leave 1st and 3rd until later unless it's a guy who is just phenomenal. Chances are you can pick up a riser in the middle of the league, or even draft a quality player later.

Draft best value.

You shouldn't just wait on 3B all the way either, imo. Don't reach for one, but it's right value go for it. Assuming you're on ESPN leagues, there's a big dropoff after where Kevin Youkilis is slotted so I'd at least go for him.

Is it a 5 OF'er league? If it is, you might want to draft a couple early. If it's 3 OF'ers, it's not as big of a deal. There are plenty of OF'ers.

Pitching...I wouldn't draft one in the 1st round. They don't play every day + there's always a greater risk of injury. Also, you'd be surprised at how many good pitchers there are. Doesn't hurt to draft a proven ace though.

Also...

Wait on closers. Unless if the settings are like Admin's leagues where it's just P then you can have a different strategy. But if it's like my money league tonight...5 SP/2 RP starts per week, wait on closers.

And try to get one of the top 3 shortstops even if you feel like you're reaching for one. I have the 3rd pick tonight and I plan on taking Tulowitzki. I could probably find better #'s from another player, but I want the SS especially since there's no guarantee I'd get any of the 3 with my 2nd round pick.

After Tulo, Hanley, and Reyes, the SS's either have no upside or they just suck. Even in the case of Hanley and Reyes, there are question marks with them but you still have an idea that they're going to be good.

If you don't get any of the top 3 at the SS position, I'd wait until later to draft one. Someone like Bonifacio (who will probably regress some but still steal some bases...also eligible at 3B/OF) or Dee Gordon (who kinda sucks, but has a chance to steal 60-70 bases, which is valuable in fantasy especially at the SS position).

Hanley's even more valuable this year with 3B eligibility. If two players are of similar value and one is eligible for multiple positions, take the guy who's eligible for multiple positions. Roster flexibility comes in handy at times when injuries occur and you have to go on the waiver wire.

Hope this helps.

As for 1B, if you can draft an elite guy and it's the best you have available, don't pass him up.

But there are a lot of productive 1B in the big leagues. Like Dr. B's advice, I kinda hate drafting one early because there are so many good ones.

Pujols is really, really good for example, but I wouldn't draft him with the 1st pick this year (some might).

Some might differ in opinion for whatever reason, but if you have a choice this year between Pujols and Cabrera (for example)...both very good hitters, but Cabrera is more valuable this year as he might get 3B eligibility after...idk if it's 5 or 10 games.

Thanks, Erick. I made a couple of mistakes, but I think it turned out OK. I have a terrible 3B situation, ending up with Ryan Roberts! I picked Reyes in the 2nd round, I believe, and I was thinking he had 3B eligibility -- I guess I was goofing thinking of him like Hanley.

Here's the layout: 10 team league. I believe it's 3 OF, 1 Utility, 2 SP, 2 RP.

R/HR/RBI/SB/OBP, and SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS. He chose to not take Batting Average or Wins.

My team:

C: Brian McCAnn

1B: Eric Hosmer/Freddi Freeman

2B: Rickie Weeks/Kelly Johnson

SS: Jose Reyes/Elvis Andrus/Marco Scutaro (Andrus is probably my main utility guy)

3B: Ryan Roberts (2B, 3B)...........that's it here. I might want to trade....

OF: Justin Upton/Josh Hamilton/Michael Bourn, Chris Young/Angel Pagan. Maybe someone wants Chris Young?

SP: Cliff Lee/James Shields (it sucks that there's no IP stat). Jeremy Hellickson/Wandy Rodriguez/Colby Lewis.

RP: Brian Wilson/Jose Valverde. Chris Sale.

I wouldn't be happy with James Shields as my #2.

Your OF looks good for sure though.

I'm not thrilled, but I got him in the 9th round/88th pick. Up until that point, I had drafted Lee + 6 position players (no 2B) + Andrus @ the flex. I'm worried about his regression, sure, but I thought he was good value there.

In terms of 3B, you'd probably be better off trading Elvis Andrus.

You already have your SS. Andrus is nothing special but he does steal bases and overall projects to be a top-5 SS in fantasy. Someone has to have a need for SS since you got two of the top-5. There has to be a match to acquire a 3B. Maybe Andrus + another piece if it's a really solid 3B.

I like your OF. 5th is whatever, but you'll be fine because your top-4 is really good. Upton and Hamilton are studs when healthy. Bourn is a stud in fantasy. Chris Young as a #4 is a good bet for a 20-20 season, so that's good to me.

Honestly, I don't like your pitching.

Lee and Shields are fine, but...

-Hellickson is on my do-not draft list. Personally, I think he's extremely overrated right now and is due for quite the regression. Check out his peripherals. The Rays defense behind him always helps, but I wouldn't expect a year anywhere near what he had last year.

-Wandy's a good pitcher, but his team is terrible. Not only offensively but defensively, as well. That might be the worst team in the history of baseball; they're so bad.

-Colby Lewis, meh. Although it's fine to have him on your roster.

Which brings me to my next point. You might want to drop some backup position players and get some pitchers. I don't know what your league format is (daily or weekly?) but either way, other teams will cheat with the pitching. In fantasy, the quantity of pitching is almost as important as quality because opponents will just pick guys up trying to get in as many starts as possible per week. And they'll try to get them in there against weak lineups so even if they're not that good, they might beat you that week.

You might want to drop some backup position players even for some Colby Lewis's...although, I'm sure there are pitchers with even more upside available in free agency right now.

I really like the Chris Sale pick.

By the way, back to the 3B stuff...offer one of your closers. They're really not that awesome, but the perception of them is great. Valverde didn't blow a save last year and he does crazy stuff on the mound so just about any casual fan would be like "omgz, saves!" and an owner might give you something really nice. Even better with Brian Wilson since he's like the coolest closer in the game off the field and people love his personality. Some fantasy owners are attached to certain players.

In a SP/RP format, it's rare for a RP to be incredibly valuable. Only way that happens is if you're getting Craig Kimbrel type K's.

This is the easiest thing to do in fantasy. Trade one of your closers...hell, trade both. Try to get some solid position players, see what happens. 3B, 5th OF'er.

You already have Chris Sale. On top of the upside, I like him because of the RP eligibility. He's like the next best thing to Matt Moore in fantasy this year in terms of SP/RP. For your other RP slot, there are other relievers available in free agency I bet. Some who probably project to be even better than Wilson/Valverde, honestly.

You could even trade those two, pick up two closers and then pick up a third closer like Brett Myers who's SP eligible this year if you want to get creative. Someone might have drafted Myers but I doubt it. He's not great but since this is like the equivalent of a real-life minor league deal, he's a good bet for 20+ saves and can fill in at SP/RP, whichever one.

I'd trade Andrus + both relievers. Probably two different trades of course.

I'm not thrilled, but I got him in the 9th round/88th pick. Up until that point, I had drafted Lee + 6 position players (no 2B) + Andrus @ the flex. I'm worried about his regression, sure, but I thought he was good value there.

Right. Sounds like you got caught up drafting position players. That's what I was trying to tell you not to do :p

-Wandy's a good pitcher, but his team is terrible. Not only offensively but defensively, as well. That might be the worst team in the history of baseball; they're so bad.

The good news is that Wins are not used in this league. So, when I saw similarly-ranked pitchers from my cheat sheets, I leaned toward guys with worse teams, since they should be undervalued in our league relative to a standard league.

Right. Sounds like you got caught up drafting position players. That's what I was trying to tell you not to do :p

Kind of. It was mostly that the SP I was willing to take at any given pick were just not available. The value didn't quite line up. But I guess pitching is half the points, so I should have focused more there?

Well the thing is that you should never worry about pitching depth, because chances are whatever you draft for depth wont be a ton better than what you can find in FA. So like.. don't worry about drafting players to backup your best guys in pitching.

James Shields might be fine this year, but I wouldn't bet on him duplicating last season's numbers.

In terms of 3B, you'd probably be better off trading Elvis Andrus.

You already have your SS. Andrus is nothing special but he does steal bases and overall projects to be a top-5 SS in fantasy. Someone has to have a need for SS since you got two of the top-5. There has to be a match to acquire a 3B. Maybe Andrus + another piece if it's a really solid 3B.

I like your OF. 5th is whatever, but you'll be fine because your top-4 is really good. Upton and Hamilton are studs when healthy. Bourn is a stud in fantasy. Chris Young as a #4 is a good bet for a 20-20 season, so that's good to me.

Honestly, I don't like your pitching.

Lee and Shields are fine, but...

-Hellickson is on my do-not draft list. Personally, I think he's extremely overrated right now and is due for quite the regression. Check out his peripherals. The Rays defense behind him always helps, but I wouldn't expect a year anywhere near what he had last year.

-Colby Lewis, meh. Although it's fine to have him on your roster.

Which brings me to my next point. You might want to drop some backup position players and get some pitchers. I don't know what your league format is (daily or weekly?) but either way, other teams will cheat with the pitching. In fantasy, the quantity of pitching is almost as important as quality because opponents will just pick guys up trying to get in as many starts as possible per week. And they'll try to get them in there against weak lineups so even if they're not that good, they might beat you that week.

You might want to drop some backup position players even for some Colby Lewis's...although, I'm sure there are pitchers with even more upside available in free agency right now.

I really like the Chris Sale pick.

By the way, back to the 3B stuff...offer one of your closers. They're really not that awesome, but the perception of them is great. Valverde didn't blow a save last year and he does crazy stuff on the mound so just about any casual fan would be like "omgz, saves!" and an owner might give you something really nice. Even better with Brian Wilson since he's like the coolest closer in the game off the field and people love his personality. Some fantasy owners are attached to certain players.

In a SP/RP format, it's rare for a RP to be incredibly valuable. Only way that happens is if you're getting Craig Kimbrel type K's.

This is the easiest thing to do in fantasy. Trade one of your closers...hell, trade both. Try to get some solid position players, see what happens. 3B, 5th OF'er.

You already have Chris Sale. On top of the upside, I like him because of the RP eligibility. He's like the next best thing to Matt Moore in fantasy this year in terms of SP/RP. For your other RP slot, there are other relievers available in free agency I bet. Some who probably project to be even better than Wilson/Valverde, honestly.

You could even trade those two, pick up two closers and then pick up a third closer like Brett Myers who's SP eligible this year if you want to get creative. Someone might have drafted Myers but I doubt it. He's not great but since this is like the equivalent of a real-life minor league deal, he's a good bet for 20+ saves and can fill in at SP/RP, whichever one.

I'd trade Andrus + both relievers. Probably two different trades of course.

By the way, I didn't realize I could put pitchers on my bench. I just talked to my friend who started the league. You have 7 or 8 spots for pitchers, and you can swap in relievers for the days that your starters are off. So, yeah, I goofed there. I'll scour the waiver wire and try to swing a trade for a 3B and a #2 pitcher. Maybe I'll look for a blockbuster upgrade at a position if something sticks out, but most of my position players are decent enough that I'd suspect I'd have to overpay for an upgrade. And I don't have particularly great depth anywhere, except maybe 4th OF.

I'm playing on a NL Only Roto league this year. I have the auction draft in a couple of days.

I will follow a couple of rules:

Don't draft SP from the Astros.

Try to get pitchers that came from the AL.

Try to draft Huston Street as my closer. Pitching at Petco will be good for him.

I'm playing on a NL Only Roto league this year. I have the auction draft in a couple of days.

I will follow a couple of rules:

Don't draft SP from the Astros.

Try to get pitchers that came from the AL.

Try to draft Huston Street as my closer. Pitching at Petco will be good for him.

I'll take Huston Street.........................for $1!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.