Fantasy help needed!

mystikol87

I was thinking about $7-$12. I wont pay $24 for a closer like Kimbrel. I prefer spending more money on OFs.

I've done mock auction drafts, never been in a real one for real money or something.

It was a lot of fun and pretty long, lol.

Anyway, if I was in one, I'd probably just pay a dollar for closers so I can have a lot of money for position players/elite starting pitchers.

There are elite middle relievers out there who are going to be good closers and nobody really knows them yet. Happens just about every year. Especially this year since Soria and Madson have already been declared out for the year.

Highest I'd go on a closer is $3-5 and I'd have to really like him.

Like when I did the mock I put $1 in for Kenley Jansen and some guy decided to be not cool and went up to $2...long story short, I got him for $3. Someone should now respond to this post with a "cool story bro."

I've never done an auction draft? How is it?

Each team has $260 to fill their roster. And start a bidding war on each player. One player at a time. Pujols or Cabrera may go for around $40. So, yo need to balance your roster and your money.

So it actually requires real prep work....

It also requires you to know who you're drafting against because some people are homers/might really like one player and then end up overvaluing a certain player or two, leaving them screwed late in drafts.

It's kinda fun.

I did my money league last night. Dr. B won't like it because of my pitching, but we'll see!

C - Miguel Montero

1B - Lucas Duda / Edwin Encarnacion (we'll see)

2B - Ian Kinsler

3B - Brett Lawrie / Edwin Encarnacion

SS - Troy Tulowitzki

OF - Andrew McCutchen

OF - Nelson Cruz

OF - Shin Soo-Choo

Util - Ben Zobrist

SP - Yu Darvish

SP - Jaime Garcia

SP - Mike Minor

SP - Brendan Morrow

SP - Francisco Liriano

RP - Chris Sale

RP - Sergio Santos

BN - Juan Nicasio (SP)

BN - Edinson Volquez (SP)

BN - Greg Holland (RP)

BN - Brett Myers (SP, RP)

BN - Luke Hochevar (SP)

Nice balanced team, what's the entry fee and payout on that one? Where's it taking place also? I've been looking for a good pay league.

Entry fee - $50

Payout - 50 x 12...so, $600. Although, I've been playing with the same group, mostly my brother's friends, for about 3-4 years now and what happens is that teams #3/#4 usually get their money back for making the playoffs, runner-up gets $100, and the league winner ends up with the remaining $400.

I did my money league last night. Dr. B won't like it because of my pitching, but we'll see!

C - Miguel Montero

1B - Lucas Duda / Edwin Encarnacion (we'll see)

2B - Ian Kinsler

3B - Brett Lawrie / Edwin Encarnacion

SS - Troy Tulowitzki

OF - Andrew McCutchen

OF - Nelson Cruz

OF - Shin Soo-Choo

Util - Ben Zobrist

SP - Yu Darvish

SP - Jaime Garcia

SP - Mike Minor

SP - Brendan Morrow

SP - Francisco Liriano

RP - Chris Sale

RP - Sergio Santos

BN - Juan Nicasio (SP)

BN - Edinson Volquez (SP)

BN - Greg Holland (RP)

BN - Brett Myers (SP, RP)

BN - Luke Hochevar (SP)

Talk about role reversal! Last year it was I who went easy on the pitching.

Well... I went heavy on the RPs. And it paid off(ish).

But yeah, it's not just Dr B. Deep down inside Erick, you know you're a bit uneasy with having a rookie and Mike Minor atop your pitching staff.

Made a couple of moves, dropping my worst position players for a couple of pitchers I was surprised to find went undrafted, Neftali Feliz (I know there's an injury risk) and Daniel Bard.  Here's my updated team:

My team:

C: Brian McCann

1B: Eric Hosmer/Freddi Freeman

2B: Rickie Weeks/Kelly Johnson

SS: Jose Reyes/Elvis Andrus(Andrus is probably my main utility guy)

3B: Ryan Roberts (2B, 3B).

OF: Justin Upton/Josh Hamilton/Michael Bourn, Chris Young.

SP: 1) Cliff Lee. 2) James Shields. 3) Jeremy Hellickson. 4) Neftali Feliz. 5) Wandy Rodriguez. 6) Colby Lewis.

RP: 1) Brian Wilson. 2) Jose Valverde. 3) Chris Sale. 4) Daniel Bard

I found 2 teams with multiple top-10 third baseman.  I have a trade offer pending with both; one would get me David Wright (and Andrew Bailey for Andrus and Brian Wilson/Jose Valverde), and the other would get me Brett Lawrie (for Andrus: his current SS is Jeter).

By the way, Matthew Berry has James Shields as his #20 SP, and ESPN has Shields as the #15 SP.  Not good, but not terrible for a 10-team league.  Hopefully Feliz pans out and makes my starting core a lot stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my auction draft yesterday on a NL Only 12 team league. Man, I never imagine how stressful that was. I took about 3 hours to draft 23 players each. At first it was ok, I knew about every player. The last players filling the rosters were backups. I have to pick them blindfolded.

This league is 4x4 using original roto rules. For example, no bench.

This is what I picked. The first 10/15 were a bit overpaid. 12 players picking half of the majors. Some inflation was predictable.

Los Barbudos

C Yadier Molina $12

C John Baker $1

1B Michael Morse $21

2B José Altuve $13

3B David Wright $29

SS Troy Tulowitzki $43

2B/SS Orlando Hudson $1

1B/3B Ty Wigginton $3

OF Jay Bruce $29

OF Michael Bourn $28

OF Carlos Gomez $2

OF Bryan LaHair $2

OF Juan Rivera $1

UTIL Laynce Nix $1

P Tim Lincecum $29

P Shaun Marcum $17

P Tim Hudson $15

P Jhoulys Chacin $8

P Dillon Gee $1

P Mike Pelfrey $1

P Brad Ziegler $1

P Matt Belisle $1

P Marc Rzepczynski $1

I did not get any closer. I might need one sometime soon. It's a 4x4 league. I can't not leave any category far behind.

So, I had too few pitchers originally, and as mentioned above, I grabbed some more. Hut they've all been converted to the rotation!

I picked up Feliz and Bard, both of whom are now starters. I also drafted Sale who is now a starter. So I have in SP:

Cliff Lee

Shields

Colby Lewis

Hellickson

Wandy Rodriguez

Sale

Bard

Feliz

And for RP: Valverde and Brian Wilson.

My positions are all solid, except for 3B.

I'm in trade talks at the moment.

Should I trade Shields if I can get Aramis Ramirez and Joel Hanrahan back? I might also offer the guy any 2 pitchers besides Lee/Shields, which I'd think would be Feliz and Hellickson.

Would he do Aramis straight up for Hellickson? I'd do that.

I'm not sure. I think I need another closer, or else I'm going to lose saves almost every week with just 2 guys, I'd think. I could get that in a separate move, though.Each head-to-head results in up to 10 points given, not just a win/loss for the entire week.

Would he do Aramis straight up for Hellickson? I'd do that.

I'm not sure. I think I need another closer, or else I'm going to lose saves almost every week with just 2 guys, I'd think. I could get that in a separate move, though.Each head-to-head results in up to 10 points given, not just a win/loss for the entire week.

Oh, I thought you were playing in a league that only let you start 2 RP per day/week.

Nope, it's 2 SPs, 2 RPs, and 4 miscellaneous pitchers can be started at any given time.

I offered Hellickson for Aramis; let's see what he says. Aramis is good, but it's not like he's Beltre, where I'd be willing to give up a bunch. I actually don't hate Ryan Roberts at all, and he's on a good team.

Yeah, Hellickson/Aramis seems fair to me.

Even if you can't get Hanrahan, there should be closers available on the waiver wire.

Eventually. I could drop Bard after his 1st start and maybe grab Lidge or Henry Rodriguez, who are splitting save ops for the Nats for now. But the 30 starting closers are all gone, I believe. I'll have to double check.

• 3 weeks later...

Offered a trade: Arod, Hanrahan, and Beckett for Josh Hamilton

Here's my OF: Hamilton, Michael Bourn, LoMo, Bryce Harper, Chris Young (DL)

3B: Mark Reynolds (obviously weak)

RP: Jose Valverde, Henry Rodriguez, Sergio Romo (obviously weak)

SP: Cliff Lee; James Shields; Neftali Feliz; Wandy; Hellickson; Chris Sale; Colby Lewis

I have to do this, right? The trade sures up my 2 weakest positions, and I get to deal from a position of relative strength.