TJ surgery possible for Ceda

I wanted Willis a LOOGY, not a long man.

I thought that's why we signed Choate to a 2 year deal last off-season.

Choate has only pitched one inning this spring and is coming off a torn ligament in his pitching elbow. No reason you can't have 2.

Plus, Willis could be a terrific low-leverage pinch hitter.

I think it's silly to put Willis and Choate on the same plane.

Willis doesn't just have a high walk problem; he has often risked being erratic as he's been passing from team to team. At times the hitter would perhaps be better off not even bringing a bat to the plate. I don't see him ever being realiable enough to enter a game with men on and striking out someone.

There's a difference between getting lefties out over the course of a start and getting one out in a high pressure situation.

Willis doesn't just have a high walk problem; he has often risked being erratic as he's been passing from team to team. At times the hitter would perhaps be better off not even bringing a bat to the plate. I don't see him ever being realiable enough to enter a game with men on and striking out someone.

There's a difference between getting lefties out over the course of a start and getting one out in a high pressure situation.

I get that he is erratic.

What I am saying is that, in his career, that has hardly mattered against left-handed batters, because they struggle so badly just to pick the ball up out of his hand.

Which is why I bring up Choate. He doesn't have great stuff or control; what he has is a singular ability to befuddle left-handed batters.

I think Willis has a similiar ability, and I think, at the very least, I'd be willing to take a chance on him as a second lefty in the pen to use in lower-leverage situations as the 7th arm in the pen.

I'd certainly take a shot on the upside of that over Chad Gaudin's dependable mediocrity.

I get that he is erratic.

What I am saying is that, in his career, that has hardly mattered against left-handed batters, because they struggle so badly just to pick the ball up out of his hand.

Which is why I bring up Choate. He doesn't have great stuff or control; what he has is a singular ability to befuddle left-handed batters.

I think Willis has a similiar ability, and I think, at the very least, I'd be willing to take a chance on him as a second lefty in the pen to use in lower-leverage situations as the 7th arm in the pen.

I'd certainly take a shot on the upside of that over Chad Gaudin's dependable mediocrity.

I'm saying that I see an error in logic in so readily assuming that he can transition so readily into a situational relief role. Putting him in highly leveraged situations to face a small number of batters does not seem to be an attractive situtation for him.

I think his first outing with the Orioles is basically a model of what you can expect from him in relief. He walked the first three batters with the first two being lefties.

Most of success has come from situations where he can settle in, pitch multiple innings, and face a mix of LHB and RHB. I think it's not a small leap into a specialization role.