Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Matt Cain's extension

Featured Replies

Moot point.

 

 

It's not a moot point if GCMS is right that you could've gotten an equivalent pitcher for much less, which is what he's arguing. I don't agree, however.It is a moot point in the sense that he already signed, but discussion is what we're here for.Either way, I don't agree with this.

I don't understand how ERA+ works, really ...

Just going straight ERA, I think he's an average pitcher. IDK, maybe one day I'll understand all of SABR's stuff, then they'll come out with SABR 2.0.

I don't understand how ERA+ works, really ...

Just going straight ERA, I think he's an average pitcher. IDK, maybe one day I'll understand all of SABR's stuff, then they'll come out with SABR 2.0.

 

 

ERA+ just controls for the park you play in, so it neutralizes the fact that he pitched many games in good pitchers' parks.It distinctly disputes your claims about his ERA above.

My opinion on this is directly related to two things:

 

Whether it affects their ability to resign Lincecum, a clearly superior pitching talent

 

and

 

Whether we aren't underrating the impact of his home park and whether we have not yet fully begun to understand park factors as a whole; for instance, his BABIP is .023 lower at home for his career. Hard to make sense of that one, and ERA+ does nothing to tell you about why.

 

The first is a far bigger issue for me, and why I wouldn't have done this contract.

 

There's also the issue that pitchers who have sustained the kind of workload Cain has recently and kept it up is a pretty small list.

  • Author

I don't think they really expect to keep Lincecum long term with the kind of money he'll command.

My opinion on this is directly related to two things:

 

Whether it affects their ability to resign Lincecum, a clearly superior pitching talent

 

and

 

Whether we aren't underrating the impact of his home park and whether we have not yet fully begun to understand park factors as a whole; for instance, his BABIP is .023 lower at home for his career. Hard to make sense of that one, and ERA+ does nothing to tell you about why.

 

The first is a far bigger issue for me, and why I wouldn't have done this contract.

 

There's also the issue that pitchers who have sustained the kind of workload Cain has recently and kept it up is a pretty small list.

 

 

Even if #2 is right, he's still not "average at best."

I don't think they really expect to keep Lincecum long term with the kind of money he'll command.

 

I was always under the assumption that Cain would hit free agency, because the Giants would lock up Lincecum first (the better pitcher) and wouldn't have the money left over (or have the desire to spend that much money on 2 starters).

My opinion on this is directly related to two things:

 

Whether it affects their ability to resign Lincecum, a clearly superior pitching talent

 

and

 

Whether we aren't underrating the impact of his home park and whether we have not yet fully begun to understand park factors as a whole; for instance, his BABIP is .023 lower at home for his career. Hard to make sense of that one, and ERA+ does nothing to tell you about why.

 

The first is a far bigger issue for me, and why I wouldn't have done this contract.

 

There's also the issue that pitchers who have sustained the kind of workload Cain has recently and kept it up is a pretty small list.

 

 

Even if #2 is right, he's still not "average at best."

 

I mean, sure. I didn't say that, but sure.

$110m for a guy who has a sub .500 record across 7 seasons.....

 

LOL!

 

Matt Cain has probably gotten the worst run support of all pitchers in his era.

I know, I was just kidding hence the .......

 

I mean look at his 2007 season. He was 7-16 yet had an ERA of 3.65. That's just cruel for him.

$110m for a guy who has a sub .500 record across 7 seasons.....

 

LOL!

 

Matt Cain has probably gotten the worst run support of all pitchers in his era.

I know, I was just kidding hence the .......

 

I mean look at his 2007 season. He was 7-16 yet had an ERA of 3.65. That's just cruel for him.

Yup. Imagine how much more motivated he would be to pitch well if he was actually able to see his team reap the benefits of his solid performances.

 

But I'm sure the annoyance he had to go through in pitching well yet receiving L's is all worth it now with this humongous contract.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.