When to call up Yelich

Not that big a fan of the move. Is nice for the short term, but yelich will almost definitely be leadoff when he gets called up and moving hech around about might hurt his offensive maturation. It's also kinda nice to see someone at the end of the order that can hit. If our 'run producers' could get a hit it might be even more effective.

Not that big a fan of the move. Is nice for the short term, but yelich will almost definitely be leadoff when he gets called up and moving hech around about might hurt his offensive maturation. It's also kinda nice to see someone at the end of the order that can hit. If our 'run producers' could get a hit it might be even more effective.

I mean yea, of course it's a short term move. It's probably 99% Yelich will bat lead off when he makes it up...

You really think they will just start him lead off from day 1? Doubt it. Probably hit lower in the lineup until he adjusts.

Why? So you can bat him behind Ozuna or Dietrich or Hechavarria?

I HIGHLY doubt that. Our lead off hitters can't even accumulate an OBP over .300. That's clearly our biggest glaring hole in the lineup and he will be called up to fill it...

You really think they will just start him lead off from day 1? Doubt it. Probably hit lower in the lineup until he adjusts.

I HIGHLY doubt that. Our lead off hitters can't even accumulate an OBP over .300. That's clearly our biggest glaring hole in the lineup and he will be called up to fill it...

I'll agree with squall on this one - when he debuts, he'll probably bat seventh for a few days.

It means our lineup it pretty bad when every single option to hit leadoff or bat second can't get on base over .300...I cannot wait until Yelich is called up so we can see what this lineup can do with a real talented leadoff hitter. Like I said, Hech actually might be fun to watch hit between him and Stanton.

While there's no doubt that Hech would see better pitches to hit between Yelich (if he produces as expected) and Stanton, would that be the best use of that position? Maybe Marisnick could do better with it. Hech has been a hot hitter lately, but it is still a small sample size.

For July, Hech has hit 431 in 58 ABs with 25 hits, 4 of those being doubles. It is a 441 OBP and a 941 OPS. A small sample size, but some really nice stats. 1 walk though at a .017 BB/PA clip.

For the season so far, Hech has a 284 OBP with a 251 average and a walk rate of .047 BB/PA - that means he has a 4.8% of all plate appearances with a walk.

LoMo, for example, has a 11.4% and I think we could agree that he's been decent at walking so far in yet another small sample size. As another example, Mathis and Brantly are also around 4.5% to 5% with their walk rates.

Unless Hech has really put it all together to become a serious AVG guy, he's not going to walk enough and the extra base hits aren't there. Sure, he could continue to go the other way nicely and see a rise in his doubles and triples. I don't route against Marlins players and hope he'll become great, but based on the larger numbers.. he either needs to walk more or hit at a higher average.

So, going back to my original point, would there be someone more suitable that could benefit in that #2 position? Even though Marisnick is still unproven at the MLB level, he has more power, he walks a little more (roughly around 6% I believe) and he has more speed. He's just an example though, there could be other Marlins who could make better use of that potential 2 spot.

Right now, as things stand, I personally see Hech as more of a 7/8 hitter, but only time will tell. We don't even know what the Marlins plans are in regards to Yelich/Marisnick/Ozuna/Stanton/Morrison and that could change with money, injuries, prospects not realizing their potential in the majors etc.

There is SOOO much up in the air, so many unknown factors that could alter how this goes.

Mike Redmond is managing the team. He likes his first hitters to have GRIT.

There is no reason to call up Yelich if he isn't going to lead off. We can't score because we

Literally have no table setters. None.

After this series, they need to make a change. You can only sit so many guys, make so many changes, when everyone is struggling. But LF/CF are clearly out biggest offensive problems at this exact moment, and he will help fill either void...

It's time.

We're saying Yelich won't IMMEDIATELY lead off. A guy makes his debut, you're not automatically batting him first. Stanton batted seventh and eighth his first few games, Miggy was a 7/8 hitter for a little bit. After a week or two, if he's not struggling, then yes, Yelich will lead off.

The glaring hole is three and four. Worst stats in baseball.

The entire offense is a glaring hole right now.

Why do you think that is?

It's really easy to pitch to Giancarlo Stanton with two outs and nobody on.

Much harder to pitch to Giancarlo Stanton with nobody out and two men on.

Don't blame Stanton. Don't blame Morrison. It's the top of the order that's at fault. Maybe you're right, if Yelich comes up tomorrow he may bat seventh. Doesn't change the fact that he needs to be batting lead off to make a positive change in this lineup.

We're saying Yelich won't IMMEDIATELY lead off. A guy makes his debut, you're not automatically batting him first. Stanton batted seventh and eighth his first few games, Miggy was a 7/8 hitter for a little bit. After a week or two, if he's not struggling, then yes, Yelich will lead off.

I agree. You also don't want to put a lot of pressure on a rookie even if he is a high prospect. I do have concerns about him coming onto a team in such a funk. I know the team has glaring holes and, yes, Yelich could help with that, but it could also bring him down. The best scenario would be for the current Marlins to break out of this funk, get back into a competitive place, let Yelich continue to hit in AA since his injury and then bring him up.

I agree. You also don't want to put a lot of pressure on a rookie even if he is a high prospect. I do have concerns about him coming onto a team in such a funk. I know the team has glaring holes and, yes, Yelich could help with that, but it could also bring him down. The best scenario would be for the current Marlins to break out of this funk, get back into a competitive place, let Yelich continue to hit in AA since his injury and then bring him up. I couldn't disagree more. This team needs a spark, and he could ignite the line up. One player can make a huge difference, and he's ready... IMO at least.

I couldn't disagree more. This team needs a spark, and he could ignite the line up. One player can make a huge difference, and he's ready... IMO at least.

You missed my point as I did point out that they could use a spark, I also said it could bring him down. You can't deny that such a young player coming into a bad situation wouldn't be under some unfair pressure. It could go either way, there's no way to know.

I couldn't disagree more. This team needs a spark, and he could ignite the line up. One player can make a huge difference, and he's ready... IMO at least.

You missed my point as I did point out that they could use a spark, I also said it could bring him down. You can't deny that such a young player coming into a bad situation wouldn't be under some unfair pressure. It could go either way, there's no way to know.I agree, there's no way to know.

I do, however, think calling him up to bat 7th does this team no good. If you're going to call him up, bat him where he is used to hitting and hope he sparks the lineup. Worst case scenario... We keep losing?

You missed my point as I did point out that they could use a spark, I also said it could bring him down. You can't deny that such a young player coming into a bad situation wouldn't be under some unfair pressure. It could go either way, there's no way to know.I agree, there's no way to know.

I do, however, think calling him up to bat 7th does this team no good. If you're going to call him up, bat him where he is used to hitting and hope he sparks the lineup. Worst case scenario... We keep losing?

Give Yelich the entire year in AA. He has not had and needs a sustained number of games to get his mojo back.

Maybe bring him up after the AA season to get a few ML games under his belt.

Why keep pushing it back?

The team hasn't needed him... Until now. We need a major league LFer, we need a lead off hitter. Seems pretty convenient Yelich is both of those things.

I agree, there's no way to know.

My concerns are more on the personal development of Yelich, I am concerned that he tries to do too much too quickly, things go badly, get even more out of control and it hurts him in the bigger picture. I know we all like to believe that all Baseball players are mentally strong, but its a tough game and there's no doubt that even the most natural ability in the world can be destroyed by the mental side. We've seen it happen before, things can snowball out of control.

Once again... it could easily go the other way and it could make Yelich an even better player. I certainly don't want to see him join a team that has not scored in 37 innings though, but maybe they'll turn it around in Colorado and come back to Miami being in competitive games again. We shall see.

Give Yelich the entire year in AA. He has not had and needs a sustained number of games to get his mojo back.

Maybe bring him up after the AA season to get a few ML games under his belt.

Why keep pushing it back?

The team hasn't needed him... Until now. We need a major league LFer, we need a lead off hitter. Seems pretty convenient Yelich is both of those things.

Why does a last place team "need" to rush a 21 year old top prospect? September call ups are the time to bring him up. Give him a month to get his feet wet (and we've already gotten rid of the Pierre's/Polanco's/Slowey's of the world) and then start next season in LF or CF.

Hell I know he's been decent in the majors (and the Marlins had nobody else to go to) but I still would've rather seen Ozuna in the minors until September.

I think Yelich is 100% ready for the majors and would thrive, but for the rest of June we should be showcasing the guys we're going to trade. Plus it would be cool to tank and hope we land Carlos Rodon.

I think early August is the earliest we should see Yelich, September is the month we'll very likely see him.

I'd rather give Marisnick until June 2014 before calling him up. I think he's a guy who would benefit from seeing AAA (plus we can save a year of service time). Yelich is a player who is going to succeed from the get go. I wouldn't be upset to see Marisnick in the majors for September call ups though. He's earned it with the work he's done this year.