July 4, 201412 yr El penguino, I'm pretty sure you did not expect this team to win more than 65-70 games this season. You're stretching the truth when you say this is how you expected them to play.
July 4, 201412 yr El penguino, I'm pretty sure you did not expect this team to win more than 65-70 games this season. You're stretching the truth when you say this is how you expected them to play. That's pure nonsense. Find me one post I've made that suggests that. I don't ever recall posting an exact figure, but I don't think I ever expressed this to be a mid to high 90s loss team on paper. A win total in the low to mid 70s is a more accurate representation where I expected the team to finish. I have always acknowledged that they improved considerably by not sending out guys like Pierre, Polanco, Mathis, and Morrison on a daily basis, but simply said that in spite of the additions, the Marlins still weren't a playoff or even a "good" team. That's exactly what this record shows. I will concede that they probably have about 3 or so wins more than I would have expected them to have at this point in the season, but I don't think that I'm stretching the truth one bit. The problem here is that you both seem to be suggesting that the current record is an indication of a "good" team or something to be proud of, but that really isn't the case.
July 4, 201412 yr No, I'm not suggesting anything about this team. Find me one post where I said this is a good team. I distinctly remember a post where I said this team did not improve much and that I do not see this team winning more than 65 to 70 games, and you then seemed to agreed with me on the win total citing the only improvements you saw were with Salty and Stanton with a possibility of Yelich. You did not think this team would be perform at this level. Especially with Jose Fernandez out.
July 4, 201412 yr All along I simply said that this would not be a good team and the level at which it is playing suggests it indeed is not a good team. So let's get that straight. My expectations for a team's overall performance usually factor in the possibility that not everything is going to be smooth injury-wise. However, I was far more inclined to think that someone like Stanton would be the one sitting out (rather than Fernandez) because of his previous history. Secondly, if you "distinctly" remember me agreeing with something you said yourself, you should have no trouble finding it. I have zero recollection of me stressing that the Marlins would be a 90-something loss team. I know I definitely said that the team did not improved enough to be playoff caliber, but you are mistaken in thinking that I adamantly stated that they would lose only a few less than they did in 2013.
July 4, 201412 yr http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/70500-lomo-traded-to-seattle/page-9 Bottom of the thread. You said net wins won't be much. Maybe 2-3 extra from Salty and extra wins over coghlan with Yelich plus improvement from Stanton. And you said this after I said this is probably a 70 win team. That doesn't sound like someone who disagrees with what I said. And this was before Fernandez was out. You did not expect this team to playing like this. You can keep spinning it like you are doing but you are not telling the truth. Very convenient to say you did not have a set win total but all of a sudden say they are playing to your expectations. This team would be a 80 win team with Fernandez if not more.
July 4, 201412 yr You are reaching a lot here. First of all, there is no indication that I was agreeing with anything you said, let alone endorsing your 70 wins projection. Nothing in my post suggests that they were entirely incapable of cracking 70 wins. Two other things that you are overlooking here are the fact that the post was made under the a**umption that Rafael Furcal would be the everyday second baseman and the McGehee signing wasn't even made yet. I was vehemently opposed to the Furcal signing from the second it was made and said that he would be a replacement player at best. This is something that needs to be factored into the above statement, which was made in mid-December. McGehee is certainly exceeding my expectations, but if the signing had been made, I would have acknowledged that he would have brought in a net improvement over the 2013 sub-replacement level performance of Polanco. 2-3 wins from Salty, improvement from Yelich and Stanton, not having Furcal in the line-up, plus the McGehee addition probably bring you about a 10 game improvement at least. And, yes, Yelich has not improved as I expected him too. More importantly, however, this season is just more than half way over. The Marlins' current record is inflated by a hot start and their winning percentage will probably continue to fall by the end of the season, possibly putting them in that 70-72 win range. I admit that the Marlins record at the mid-point is better than I expected, but any projection I made at the beginning of the season was to unfold over the entirety of the season--not half of it. This is why you are being unfair to me here. I obviously would not have expected the Marlins to be a couple of games over .500 in the end of May, either, but that was only a small segment of the season. The bottom line is that the team is going to consider to regress to the mean after the hot start, so wait until all 162 games are played before saying that I was "wrong." The Marlins are not going to be "performing at the same level" by the end that they were in April/May and that's not entirely because of the Fernandez loss. It seems like you are rushing to conclusions based on a half-season (small), sample size. A couple of hot months at the beginning of the season do not discredit anything I've projected.
July 4, 201412 yr Your so full of s***. Everytime you open your mouth is negative. No chance in hell you expected them to be around .500 and competing for a playoff spot. I may be a glass half full kind of guy, but you've always been the one saying the Cartons empty. s*** I bet you put that back in the fridge, empty and all. I hate peckerheads like you. Empty carton putting back muthaF*****'s. So true.
July 4, 201412 yr Your so full of s***. Everytime you open your mouth is negative. No chance in hell you expected them to be around .500 and competing for a playoff spot. I may be a glass half full kind of guy, but you've always been the one saying the Cartons empty. s*** I bet you put that back in the fridge, empty and all. I hate peckerheads like you. Empty carton putting back muthaF*****'s. ***You're. I think your (the right way to use it) brain is what's empty. And this team is not a legitimate contender for a playoff spot. That's not being negative...it's simply acknowledging the statistical truth. This is not a good team. They are visibly regressing back to the mean as we inch toward game 162. This is why you don't start watching the standings in May as several people here did. The weaknesses of a team do not always become apparent in the first 2-3 months over the course of a long season.
July 4, 201412 yr ***You're. I think your (the right way to use it) brain is what's empty. And this team is not a legitimate contender for a playoff spot. That's not being negative...it's simply acknowledging the statistical truth. This is not a good team. They are visibly regressing back to the mean as we inch toward game 162. This is why you don't start watching the standings in May as several people here did. The weaknesses of a team do not always become apparent in the first 2-3 months over the course of a long season. The reality is you never thought the team was even this decent.
July 4, 201412 yr The reality is you never thought the team was even this decent. It's not "this decent," though. As I wrote a couple of posts ago, the record is still a small sample size (about half a season) and was inflated by a hot start. I never saw them as being a team well above .500, either, but they were there at one point too. That doesn't mean that they were actually that good, but rather it was a reflection of a small sample size.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.