Fangraphs Article on Fish Starting Rotation

Jokersgoon

Good portion of it shows why Phelps should be in the pen. I could be wrong since you never were clear on your position, but I think you wanted Phelps in the rotation.

I concur this could be the only scenario where it's a good idea (and not one I've seen proposed before on this board)...This is a drastic departure from traditional baseball and a very strategic thing and considering this is the least sabre team in baseball historically I'll believe it when i see it.

I concur this could be the only scenario where it's a good idea (and not one I've seen proposed before on this board)...This is a drastic departure from traditional baseball and a very strategic thing and considering this is the least sabre team in baseball historically I'll believe it when i see it.

I've proposed it all offseason. 

I've proposed it all offseason. 

It is intriguing, it's just so hard to believe they'll actually follow through with it.

I mean if your starter makes it through 5, you don't have to play the game where you only pull him once he starts to get in trouble. Just pull him instead of waiting for that dreaded 3rd time through the lineup. Count on Phelps/Dustin/Locke/Urena to get it to the 7th. The pen would get taxed, no doubt, but with an 8 man pen (and shuttling in guys like Wittgen, etc when needed) they can spread the innings around.

This is the most exciting thing to happen to the marlins in years. The front office clearly believes in the bats. They gave Benedict free reign to come up with something and he did. We aren't going to have a starting rotation the same way other teams do. We will have a team built much more similarly to a spring training team. Have a few guys getting like 120-150 innings. It might work. if you look at splits of most of the guys we have they can't get through the order much more than once. By re-imagining a pitching staff we have created an aggregate starting rotation that might be able to compete with the likes of the rest of the division. You all have to realize if this fails we will be bad. But if we did nothing we would still have been bad so there is no loss in trying. I'm really excited to see if the aggregate pitching staff is a functional way to play baseball. If it is watch out. We might be a team to be reckoned with.

If it's really so easy to win the games with bullpen,then every team would do  it,right !?

well I mean it's not easy, and every team would rather have a super talented rotation where all the guys go 7-8 innings a night and the bullpen cleans it up.  Other teams have had good deep bullpens though, it's not really that new.  I think it's more the concept of these 2 or 3 bridge guys being almost planned, rather than used just in mopup duty or when a starter is getting shelled in the 3rd inning.

But look even if it works out well, it probably only gets you to around league-average pitching on the whole.  But that's better than the rotation.