April 11, 20188 yr I'm a lawyer and I don't agree with this. This tactic is doing real harm to Jeter/the Marlins. You may say they don't care, their approval ratings are already in the dumps, etc...But they have principled defenses to their baseball moves. This looks like a Loria-esque attempt to take advantage of/screw with local government. How much money are we talking about? Does the value of the black eye outweight the money that Loria left them on the hook for? We know that the re-branding, and steadily bringing credibility to the Marlins name is a several years long process, so is the hope that people forget? I feel like Miami-Dade are the ones looking poorly. Loria bent them over during negotiations, and clearly the contract left him unaccountable for a lot that he otherwise should've been (again, that's on M-D). The further Miami-Dade pursues this, the more of a reminder there is of how poorly they handled negotiations.
April 11, 20188 yr Author We know that the re-branding, and steadily bringing credibility to the Marlins name is a several years long process, so is the hope that people forget? Yeah I think this is something trivial that we are discussing today but that is forgotten pretty quickly, especially by the time this team is relevant again.
April 11, 20188 yr Author I'm a lawyer and I don't agree with this. This tactic is doing real harm to Jeter/the Marlins. You may say they don't care, their approval ratings are already in the dumps, etc...But they have principled defenses to their baseball moves. This looks like a Loria-esque attempt to take advantage of/screw with local government. People will forget about this quickly. It's a momentary blip on the radar. Most casual fans and the general public probably don't even know this is even happening right now. If they heard about it yesterday, they forgot about it tomorrow, so to speak. This won't tarnish their legacy long term or anything like that.
April 11, 20188 yr People will forget about this quickly. It's a momentary blip on the radar. Most casual fans and the general public probably don't even know this is even happening right now. If they heard about it yesterday, they forgot about it tomorrow, so to speak. This won't tarnish their legacy long term or anything like that. I was just listening to the Braves pregame show on the radio a bit ago, and they basically said, oh those dirty Marlins...always up to something. It was 10 seconds, and probably wont be mentioned again.
April 11, 20188 yr Author I was just listening to the Braves pregame show on the radio a bit ago, and they basically said, oh those dirty Marlins...always up to something. It was 10 seconds, and probably wont be mentioned again. The same Braves who were severely punished for breaking international signing rules including losing high ranking employees and multiple prospects lol.
April 11, 20188 yr So you're saying that Jeter's plan should be to behave like Loria - basically do whatever he wants for the time being because nobody will remember 5 years from now? Just like how everybody forgot all of the bad stuff Loria did over time? I get that you guys want to support Jeter and his tearing down of the club, but stuff like this is a totally different story, imo.
April 11, 20188 yr Author So you're saying that Jeter's plan should be to behave like Loria - basically do whatever he wants for the time being because nobody will remember 5 years from now? Just like how everybody forgot all of the bad stuff Loria did over time? I get that you guys want to support Jeter and his tearing down of the club, but stuff like this is a totally different story, imo. No, I'm saying nobody will remember this one British Virgin Islands thing. And you're the one saying he's behaving like Loria. With the exception of this one thing, I don't see much Loria behavior from Jeter, contrary to popular belief.
April 11, 20188 yr How much money are we talking about? Does the value of the black eye outweight the money that Loria left them on the hook for? We know that the re-branding, and steadily bringing credibility to the Marlins name is a several years long process, so is the hope that people forget? I feel like Miami-Dade are the ones looking poorly. Loria bent them over during negotiations, and clearly the contract left him unaccountable for a lot that he otherwise should've been (again, that's on M-D). The further Miami-Dade pursues this, the more of a reminder there is of how poorly they handled negotiations. if it had any chance of working then it might have outweighed the money, but the thing they tried made absolutely 0 sense to anyone with basic law knowledge on where to file a law suit.
April 11, 20188 yr Anyone who defends this, would likely defend anything Jeter and company does. I would defend it if it had any realistic chance of working, but anyone with an understanding of how this works knows that this lawyer might even have a legitimate chance of being reprimanded for claiming something like this.
April 14, 20188 yr Author So Marlins Man and Andy Slater located the offices of the company that owns a share of the Marlins but that is based in the British Virgin Islands... and they are currently there now on their way to the offices to deliver presents and they're posting videos of it on Instagram. Class acts.
April 14, 20188 yr So Marlins Man and Andy Slater located the offices of the company that owns a share of the Marlins but that is based in the British Virgin Islands... and they are currently there now on their way to the offices to deliver presents and they're posting videos of it on Instagram. Class acts. Attention whores.
April 14, 20188 yr Attention whores. this. especially marlins man. he strikes me as a rich but incredibly sad and attention needy old man.
April 15, 20188 yr I have felt nothing but disgust with Marlins Man since day one. But I have no issue with what he and Andy Slater did. You be the judge: http://deadspin.com/marlins-man-visits-marlins-off-shore-corporate-home-fi-1825266414
April 15, 20188 yr I have felt nothing but disgust with Marlins Man since day one. But I have no issue with what he and Andy Slater did. You be the judge: http://deadspin.com/marlins-man-visits-marlins-off-shore-corporate-home-fi-1825266414 This is just a shitty tactic by the marlins and it should be exposed for what it is. Good job Slater and MM.
April 15, 20188 yr This is just a shitty tactic by the marlins and it should be exposed for what it is. Good job Slater and MM. It's a "shitty tactic" that is used with regularity in business - especially businesses with multiple partners & real estate. "Marlin Man" just has his dick in a twist because Jeter & co. won't let him dictate their business moves. He just has enough money to make his temper-tantrums public. In addition, Miami-Dade is responsible for this mess. Loria bent them over the negotiating table. You've done nothing but bitch, and say you wish the team would move. Why are you a fan?
April 15, 20188 yr You've done nothing but bitch, and say you wish the team would move. Why are you a fan? I'm not allowed to dislike the decisions they made? I have to toe the company line or I'm not a "real fan"? Bullshit.
April 15, 20188 yr I'm not allowed to dislike the decisions they made? I have to toe the company line or I'm not a "real fan"? Bullshit. I never said you weren't a "real fan". I asked "why are you a fan". You want the team to move, you want ownership to be exposed for "shitty tactics" (which are really actually used with regularity), you want them to humiliated in every way possible - you basically want the current group to fail. So again, I ask, why?
April 15, 20188 yr you basically want the current group to fail I can't answer questions when you make things up. Not once have I even come close to implying I want them to fail. I want them to succeed, I just think they handled things shitty and incorrectly.
April 15, 20188 yr I can't answer questions when you make things up. Not once have I even come close to implying I want them to fail. I want them to succeed, I just think they handled things shitty and incorrectly. Hypothetically speaking, your mortgage company says you owe them a payment of $25k, in addition to your mortgage, because the previous owner of your home beat them silly in negotiations. It's at no fault or yours, but actually theirs, for getting taken advantage of. Do you send them a check, or do you look for a loophole?
April 18, 20188 yr It's a "shitty tactic" that is used with regularity in business - especially businesses with multiple partners & real estate. "Marlin Man" just has his dick in a twist because Jeter & co. won't let him dictate their business moves. He just has enough money to make his temper-tantrums public. In addition, Miami-Dade is responsible for this mess. Loria bent them over the negotiating table. You've done nothing but bitch, and say you wish the team would move. Why are you a fan? I don't know if Marlins Man practices corporate law in his firm, or works in M&A law or anything of that nature. But if he is, he most definitely has done something like what he's criticizing the Marlins for multiple times...
April 19, 20188 yr Author http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23236492/miami-dade-county-denies-request-miami-marlins-new-old-ownership-go-arbitration Following up... the British Virgin Islands thing isn't gonna hold up and the county denies the requests to settle this whole thing out of court and through arbitration.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.