Baby Fish Notes

CyggyMarlin

Since we acquired a lot of new players in those deals, I suppose we should have a thread to show the progress of "the kids"... Feel free to add updates...

• Marlins No. 3 prospect Jorge Guzman used his triple-digit fastball to dominate in his season debut for Class A Advanced Jupiter. It also marked the Marlins debut for the 22-year-old righty, whom Miami acquired with Jose Devers in the offseason Giancarlo Stanton trade. On Saturday, Guzman worked four scoreless frames, allowing two hits and three walks while striking out seven. He threw 68 pitches, 38 for strikes.  

Cool. 

Fyi I was at today's game and midway through the game up on the scoreboard they did a "Down on the Farm" thing where they highlighted one recent good performance from one player on each of our minor league teams. With a team being built for the future I think this is an interesting way to get casual fans at the ballpark to learn some of the minor leaguers. It would take time but do it enough and down the line when these guys get called up you'll have more fans saying "oh yeah I've heard of him!"

Today if I remember correctly they highlighted Magnerius Sierra, Austin Dean, Joe Dunand, and Lazaro Alonso, there may have been one more but I don't think so. 

• 2 months later...

2B: Isan Diaz, Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (Double-A)

(Marlins' No. 7 prospect)

6 G, .455/.520/1.091, 7 R, 2 2B, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 3 BB, 5 K

Diaz's power was on full display as he homered in three straight games for Jacksonville to finish the week with four home runs, tied for the most among Top 30 hitters. After a rocky start to the season in which Diaz posted a .196 average and .664 OPS across April and May, the 22-year-old turned the corner in June and now sports a .304/.413/.519 batting line with five homers, 14 doubles and 28 RBIs over his last 39 games.

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/prospect-team-of-the-week-led-by-dylan-cease/c-288048840

Trevor Rogers - 2017 1st round pick made team of the week... after getting shelled his first few starts (ERA over 9), he is now 1 -4 with an ERA just over 5 so his last few outings have been really good....

update: Trevor lost a no-hitter in the 8th during his last start

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/neidert-diaz-lead-saturdays-top-prospects/c-288960686

Neidert and Diaz get some love

mlb.com

Here's MLB Pipeline's roundup of the top prospect performances in the Minor Leagues on Saturday.

A pair of Marlins prospects took center stage on Saturday, as Nick Neidert dominated on the mound for Double-A Jacksonville while Isan Diaz enjoyed a big night at the plate for Triple-A New Orleans.

Neidert, Miami's No. 3 prospect, set a career high by striking out 13 batters over eight innings while pitching the Jumbo Shrimp past Biloxi, 5-1. He allowed one earned run on five hits in the outing and retired 19 of the final 21 hitters he faced.

Acquired from Seattle during the offseason in the Dee Gordon trade, Neidert, 21, ranks among the Southern League leaders with a 2.95 ERA (fifth), 1.11 WHIP (fifth), 131 strikeouts (second) and 125 innings (first). He's completed eight innings in three of his past seven starts.

As for Diaz, the Marlins' No. 8 prospect hit a two-run homer as well as a pair of triples to finish 3-for-5 with a season-high five RBIs in New Orleans' 18-7 win over Albuquerque. He also reached once via a walk and scored three runs.

Part of the massive prospect haul netted by Miami when they shipped Christian Yelich to the Brewers, the 22-year-old Diaz has produced a .246/.364/.446 line with 12 homers, 22 doubles and 52 RBIs in 97 games between the Double- and Triple-A levels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.