Is the 2018 team worse than the 1998 team?

SilverBullet

All of the 03 core guys that were on the Marlins in 98 were pretty bad that season (Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez). Burnett was still in the minors. High profile prospects like Wilson and Dempster also had really bad debuts that year. The rotation looked like trash but at least guys like Kotsay, Floyd, Dunwoody and Redmond looked somewhat promising. I don't remember being too optimistic about the future after that season but they did really well in 99 by acquiring Lowell and Penny, drafting Beckett and signing Miggy.

You’re forgetting a full season of Livan and renteria. Floyd, kotsay, mantei, some sheff, zeile, CJ, counsel and even a week of Piazza (piazza =pdub + Lowell) It wasn’t awesome to watch, but definitely entertaining to see what was going to happen. Not to mention we had top prospects Booty (ugggh), Medina, henriquez, Fontenot, ludwick (part of McGwire trade) among others who were VERY highly touted at the time to keep things interesting. Also, we didn’t sign miggy in 1999. That was 1996 I believe when he was like 15 years old or something ridiculous like that. 1998 was interesting. 2018 is boring af. 

You’re forgetting a full season of Livan and renteria. Floyd, kotsay, mantei, some sheff, zeile, CJ, counsel and even a week of Piazza (piazza =pdub + Lowell) It wasn’t awesome to watch, but definitely entertaining to see what was going to happen. Not to mention we had top prospects Booty (ugggh), Medina, henriquez, Fontenot, ludwick (part of McGwire trade) among others who were VERY highly touted at the time to keep things interesting. Also, we didn’t sign miggy in 1999. That was 1996 I believe when he was like 15 years old or something ridiculous like that. 1998 was interesting. 2018 is boring af. 

We got Lowell from the Yankees in the 99 offseason. Cabrera was 16 in 99.

I definitely disagree that the 98 team was fun or interesting or whatever. I don't really remember any "rebuilding with interesting prospects" narratives around the team back then, it was just "the WS team was too expensive so they had to trade everyone and now they're gonna be bad for a long time." The young WS holdovers (Counsell, Livan, Renteria) had really boring years. The pitching staff was a disaster (3 guys with 10+ starts and ERAs over 6). It was grim, especially coming off a WS.

We got Lowell from the Yankees in the 99 offseason. Cabrera was 16 in 99.

I definitely disagree that the 98 team was fun or interesting or whatever. I don't really remember any "rebuilding with interesting prospects" narratives around the team back then, it was just "the WS team was too expensive so they had to trade everyone and now they're gonna be bad for a long time." The young WS holdovers (Counsell, Livan, Renteria) had really boring years. The pitching staff was a disaster (3 guys with 10+ starts and ERAs over 6). It was grim, especially coming off a WS.

The lineup was full of 1st and 2nd round draft pick returns that we got from all the fire sale trades.  In 2018 the only real prospect that’s playing is Brinson. From what I recall on this forum was that people were excited for that during the start of the year. Imagine a full year of constant top prospect coming up to the bigs. Not 20th and 30th rounders, but legit baseball America top prospects rotating year round. 

Also livan had like 10 complete games and renteria stole 40 bases and hit pretty well. Your memory is clearly fuzzy.

At least in 1998 some of those 1997 WS stars like Sheffield were still on the team for a bit, even if it wasn't for long.

This team has nobody interesting outside of JT Realmuto, who will be gone soon

Agreed 100%.  This team is just dreadful and 3+ years away from even being competitive.  Watching hitters like Brinson, Sierra, Dean, Ortega, etc is just downright depressing.  They are all completely just overmatched up here. That’s not even counting some of the pitching.  Sad time to be a Marlins fan these days....