Stadium talks back on

fauowls44

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7561156.htm

This is encouraging news. I'm not crazy about the site, and obviously not having a roof is not ideal, but I just want to see the team get a stadium built, so i'm all for it. Going without a roof knocks the price down significantly and sharing it with the Hurricanes will also help get it pushed through. Hopefully this plan works and we can stop talking about stadiums.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7561156.htm

This is encouraging news. I'm not crazy about the site, and obviously not having a roof is not ideal, but I just want to see the team get a stadium built, so i'm all for it. Going without a roof knocks the price down significantly and sharing it with the Hurricanes will also help get it pushed through. Hopefully this plan works and we can stop talking about stadiums.

I agree, I just want a stadium built no matter where. ;)

At least they are working on something, but is this the long term solution for this team? Are we going to hear the same over and over "no baseball athmosphere on a football stadium. . .", "is hell to drive to this site. . . ". I wish we could have our own house. . .

In addition, they are working a brand new deal here, too many open ends to tied up in such a short amount of time.

Also, there will be those to oppose to torn down the Orange ball due to its historic/sentimental value.

I hate the site and I hate the idea. Tell me, what is the %#%^& difference between the decrepit Orange Bowl site and the PPS? In both of them you would be sharing the stadium with someone else, the other team would be a football team meaning no baseball-only stadium, and there would be no roof at all. The only thing is that it will be in downtown Miami. BIG DEAL!!! Accepting this site defeats the purpose of building a new stadium at all. It's going back to the same thing all over again, plus alienating Broward fans (btw, I live in Miami). At least with a roof baseball-only stadium (state of the art) you had a chance of luring most of the Broward fans back. If they build it at the Orange Bowl site, with no roof and a football team playing there too, what's the incentive for people from Broward to drive all the way to a place that is farther away than the previous stadium? This is so stupid!!! Loria should find some private source for financing, that's what they did in St. Louis.

The only thing is that it will be in downtown Miami. BIG DEAL!!!

I assume we'd make more off the stadium at least though. Can't be a worse deal than the Huizenga one for PPS.

Isn't that the main reason we need a new stadium afterall?

I can't see any way this happens. there's too many elements missing from this plan, the most prominent of which is luxury boxes\club level seating. the Orange Bowl could not possibly offer that in the way that a new stadium could (or PPS does), and we've seen time and time again that luxury boxes are what drive stadium revenue.

it would be nice to escape Wayne - but if that's the only reason to move to the Orange Bowl, they could just take $300 million and try to pay Wayne a lump-sum buyout of some of the lease conditions.

I hate the site and I hate the idea. Tell me, what is the %#%^& difference between the decrepit Orange Bowl site and the PPS?

Like Admin said, it's so they can actually get some revenue out of the stadium. They basically get nothing out of the existing stadium.

So, if the only choices are:

A. A new, open-air, stadium shared with the Hurricanes at a bad site (the Orange Bowl)

B. No new stadium at all and staying at JRS, which means no revenue, which ultimately means terrible teams or more likely relocation or contraction.

I choose A.

Loria should find some private source for financing, that's what they did in St. Louis.

You make it sound so easy. You go try to raise $300 million from private sources and then give Loria a call. I'm sure he'd like to talk to you if you can do it.

I can't see any way this happens. there's too many elements missing from this plan, the most prominent of which is luxury boxes\club level seating. the Orange Bowl could not possibly offer that in the way that a new stadium could (or PPS does), and we've seen time and time again that luxury boxes are what drive stadium revenue.

it would be nice to escape Wayne - but if that's the only reason to move to the Orange Bowl, they could just take $300 million and try to pay Wayne a lump-sum buyout of some of the lease conditions.

Maybe I read the article wrong, but I didn't think they were moving to the Orange Bowl. I thought they were moving to the Orange Bowl site, with the Orange Bowl being torn down and a new stadium built. They talk about it being "basic" but I don't know how difficult it is to put luxury boxes into a new facility. It doesn't seem to be a big engineering challenge, like a roof is.

Admin and the others saying this will bring increased revenue are right, with this idea we can atleast make money.....now, for those that are worried about the lack of the "baseball atmosphere", remember, they are planning on knocking down the existing OB and building a new one, they will keep in mind that this will be a dual sport facility when they build the new one, meaning that they will acount for baseball dimensions and im sure it will be much more "baseball-ish" than the Pro..........and if people still dont like it, the increased revenue makes it possible for the marlins to build their own stadium later in the future

Only one team/city has decided to not build a roof to cut costs. Detroit's Comerica Park has the capacity to have a roof added if needed, but haven't needed it. We really don't need the roof if the ballpark is sheltered for the fans and built close to people because then they won't be scared to go since it won't be as far.

I've wondered about that myself a few times....

Is a retractable roof really worth an extra 100+ million? How many rainouts do we really get a year? 4? 5? So they have some delays and a couple make-up games. So what?

I admit that rain clouds have caused me to skip a game or two before, but if it means the difference between getting a stadium built or not, forget the damn roof.

Shea Stadium is a dual use facility. It is both a good ballpark and good gridiron. Wear and abuse have made it horrible, but my father used to go there when it opened to follow the Mets and later the Jets and it was good for both. Smart planning is the key. Even Bank One Ballpark is used for Baseball (D-Backs) and College Football/Basketball.

Is a retractable roof really worth an extra 100+ million? How many rainouts do we really get a year? 4? 5? So they have some delays and a couple make-up games. So what?

I admit that rain clouds have caused me to skip a game or two before, but if it means the difference between getting a stadium built or not, forget the damn roof.

Yeah. Forego the retractable roof if it is a deal breaker. Just design the new stadium with the roof in mind, and add it later if and when it makes sense.

Clouds are threatening. They don't scare us real fans away but the bandwagoners will stay home.

I like the OB idea for one reason.

REVENUE!!!

But other than that is is sooooo dumb even though I live 5 minutes from there!

''I've been telling the Marlins for a long time, the Orange Bowl would be their best site,'' Barreiro said. ``They would get great community support. Everybody in that community follows baseball. It would really galvanize their fan base.''

. . . Yeah but it takes a World Series championship to get any attention.

''I've been telling the Marlins for a long time, the Orange Bowl would be their best site,'' Barreiro said. ``They would get great community support. Everybody in that community follows baseball. It would really galvanize their fan base.''

. . . Yeah but it takes a World Series championship to get any attention. He is talking about Little Havana following baseball more than Opa Locka and it would be more like Wrigleyville in Chicago or the Fens in Boston.

Comerica only cost $300 million and it holds 40,000 people. That ought to be their blueprint. The team apparently put up more than half of the costs themselves though (which the Marlins likely cannot do)

They could make it hold about 35K and still have the possibility of adding a roof at a later date.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.