Is Jeter in this for the long haul?

Admin

39 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Another thought... if Jeter can't get it done over time and he does what needs to be done from the FO then he can blame the franchise and the city and the fanbase and all that stuff and then it's well the Marlins will never succeed.

But if he dips relatively soon without signing players and without increasing payroll then it's 100% on him and his regime for not really trying.

So if he doesn't wanna be seen as a failure Jeter must do his part.

Competence in Jeter cannot be solely measured based on getting what he needs from the FO or else he can blame the franchise, the fan base etc.  That would be a cop out because there are other franchises with low fan attendance, low financial output that are successful-Tampa, Oakland quickly comes to mind as consistent success.  So, what would be his argument? " I need a lot of money to be like the Yankees and Red Sox and a packed stadium or don't blame me".  Still does not indicate that Jeter is really interested in winning or not, he may well be, but excuses will not cut it just because he is a HOF'er.

28 minutes ago, fish53 said:

Competence in Jeter cannot be solely measured based on getting what he needs from the FO or else he can blame the franchise, the fan base etc.  That would be a cop out because there are other franchises with low fan attendance, low financial output that are successful-Tampa, Oakland quickly comes to mind as consistent success.  So, what would be his argument? " I need a lot of money to be like the Yankees and Red Sox and a packed stadium or don't blame me".  Still does not indicate that Jeter is really interested in winning or not, he may well be, but excuses will not cut it just because he is a HOF'er.

I'm saying that Jeter has to show a genuine and different effort before departing so that failures don't come down solely on him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

What if he says he was fooled by Sherman's intentions? A lot of people blame Jeter exclusively for some reason, but Sherman is ultimately making the financial calls even if he lets Jeter make personnel decisions. Jeter isn't able to sign anyone without Sherman's consent I assume. Maybe he thought Sherman would not pinch every penny and is now seeing reality. Could be a way for him to exit and just basically say it was Sherman's fault it didn't work out.

I am not saying Jeter is innocent here, but could be the way he spins it and any media friends of his spin it. 

Eh, I don't see him doing that.  But I also think even though Sherman is paying for it, that Jeter says "we need x amount" and Sherman signs the check.  Sherman seems more hands off so I don't know if he's saying "here's your limit", good luck.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Ehh, this doesn't have to be taken negatively considering the history of this team.

85 wins sounds like a miracle for this team right now. If they're around 85 wins for a decade and can somehow push for more here and there that sounds good to me right now. 

But yes the question is if they do what they need to do to fight for more than 85. 

I'd absolutely take a decade of 85 wins/year compared to what we've had.

Do I want a WS?  Yes.  But just some competitive/winning baseball would be nice to watch for a change.  That's what made last year so much fun - we actually got to watch a team that was in it.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, fish53 said:

The problem is Marlins fans and Marlins ownership IMO look at “competence” in two totally different avenues. Fans want competence in terms of team success; ownership wants competence in terms of profit$$.