Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

King pitches stadium plan to Gov. Bush

Featured Replies

Using Mapquest and the address of the Mayor's Office of West Palm Beach, the distance from there to PPS is 60.02 miles.

 

The distance from the Mayor's Office of Miami-Dade County (in Downtown) to PPS is 14.16 miles.

i think you all are getting a little ahead of us, once we get a finalized offer, when they tell lauria to make a decision about the stadium (if at all) then you can argue, but in all likely hood, i dont see us getting two offers, really, we would probobly be lucky for one. The way i look at it, speculation about what don king and corrupt miami officials are saying is nothing to read that much into

Oh, and miami15, from your precious home of Coral Gables (more precisely, I used the Biltmore address) to PPS, it is a mere 21.11 miles.

 

Suck it up, big boy.

T

R

A

F

F

I

C

 

I knew the stadium was in Dade but for all practical purposes it is closer to Broward than to Dade.

 

Plus, what about the Cutler Ridges and Kendalls and Pinecrests. On a weekday afternoon it can't take that much longer from PBC to the stadium than from south Dade.

 

Don't Tommy Hutton and Len Kasper live in PBC?

If the traffic is that bad in Miami, then nobody would be able to get to the games in a downtown stadium. You've just made the arguement for keeping it near PPS.

Even from the boondocks of the Homestead Miami Speedway it's still 15 miles shorter to the stadium than it is from West Palm Beach.

If the traffic is that bad in Miami, then nobody would be able to get to the games in a downtown stadium. You've just made the arguement for keeping it near PPS.

One word: METRORAIL

Even from the boondocks of the Homestead Miami Speedway it's still 15 miles shorter to the stadium than it is from West Palm Beach.

That's fine and well, but you are ignoring the traffic factor. Those 15 extra miles to WPB probably take about 20 minutes to drive, which more than makes up for the drive north. Trust me, I used to drive to PPS from Cutler Ridge.

Well it should be more than 40% in Broward if the stadium is there.

The stadium is in DADE. Yes, it's not in the center of Dade, but it's not in the center of Broward either, given it's practically on County Line. That's why 40:40 makes sense. i dont think there's any dade person on this thread making an argument over physical distance (see: mapquest references).

 

perhaps you're sheltered since you mentioned that you go to games hours in advance :p , but the argument here is over which drive takes longer. there is no question that the drive from anywhere in broward county to PPS takes notably less time than the drive from the vast majority of residential places in dade county for weekday evening games. for weekend games, you could make your point about physical distance and again show that the drive from broward is considerably shorter than the drive from most miami residential areas.

 

sorry, but driving north immediately after rush hour in dade county is a much larger task than physical distances suggest. in many cases, you can get to an evening game at PPS more quickly from a place in boca (a palm beach county population center) than from a place in south miami (a dade county population center). and yes, i am very aware of the physical distances between the locations.

 

if the drive from broward takes considerably less time than the drive from dade, then, for all intents and purposes, the stadium is located in broward county. i think that was miami15's only point.

If the traffic is that bad in Miami, then nobody would be able to get to the games in a downtown stadium. You've just made the arguement for keeping it near PPS.

The traffic is from people from Broward and PBC working in Miami. More southbound traffic in the AM, more northbound traffic in the PM and nights when games are played.

Can anyone please point out Arlington, Texas on a map? Now look for Fort Worth and Dallas.

 

Arlington has an MLB team because they had a ballpark ready in the 70's and were willing to build a ballpark in the 90's.

 

I have to drive 2 hours and a half anywhere you put it and I don't complain.

I have to drive 2 hours and a half anywhere you put it and I don't complain.

and you go to 2 games a year

I go to 40, what is your point?

I have to drive 2 hours and a half anywhere you put it and I don't complain.

and you go to 2 games a year That's not true. I went to 15 games this year.

 

My point is that if Palm Beach has the money to build, and Dade/Broward can't get it done, the Marlins should go to where they are wanted and cared for.

 

If the politicos can make three stupid arenas, two stupid football stadiums (PPS is on public land for $1 lease/99 years), and not a ballpark, then they don't deserve to have a major league baseball team in their area.

Can anyone please point out Arlington, Texas on a map? Now look for Fort Worth and Dallas.

 

Arlington has an MLB team because they had a ballpark ready in the 70's and were willing to build a ballpark in the 90's.

 

I have to drive 2 hours and a half anywhere you put it and I don't complain.

i just went and looked it up on mapquest.

 

according to mapquest, the drive from dallas to the ballpark in arlington takes almost exactly the same amount of time as the drive from miami to PRO PLAYER STADIUM.

 

i'm not familiar with how the traffic in dallas flows during weekday evenings, but i can't imagine it being even close to as bad as miami's northbound bottlenecks. in reality, the drive to PPS from miami probably takes much longer than the drive to arlington from dallas (or fort worth).

 

in any case, the arlington analogy isn't even remotely similar to a stadium being in palm beach county.

 

if you don't believe me, go look it up on mapquest (a fun exercise).

 

ballpark at arlington: 1000 ballpark way, arlington, tx 76011

 

pro player stadium: 2269 Nw 199th St, Opa Locka, FL

I live just south of WPB and plan to attend 30-35 games this upcoming year as the drive is just under 1 hour, and that's bearable.

 

Likewise, I would go to far fewer games, perhaps 10 or so if the stadium were in downtown Miami. The OB location is tough to get to from here. Period. No way I could make it from work to a game during the week...so it would be weekend games for me exclusively.

 

I understand the Mangonia park location is equally as bad for the residents of Miami-Dade as a downtown location is for me. Either location will result in a drop in ticket sales. :thumbdown

 

Funny that the best compromise location is PPS. I would support any location in northern Dade or Broward as I believe it would draw the greatest number of fans.

 

I know this idea doesn't get much support, but if the only other option is to build at the OB site, I would like to see pressure put on Huizenga by Miami-Dade and the City of Miami to improve the lease to the Marlins.

I live just south of WPB and plan to attend 30-35 games this upcoming year as the drive is just under 1 hour, and that's bearable.

 

Likewise, I would go to far fewer games, perhaps 10 or so if the stadium were in downtown Miami. The OB location is tough to get to from here. Period. No way I could make it from work to a game during the week...so it would be weekend games for me exclusively.

oo... where are you from? i'm actually from boynton beach, originally.

 

from my house there, the drive to the OB is really only an additional 15 minutes. it's my experience, however, that just the mere thought of having to drive into miami is a deterrent for a lot of folks from palm beach county.

I live just south of WPB and plan to attend 30-35 games this upcoming year as the drive is just under 1 hour, and that's bearable.

 

Likewise, I would go to far fewer games, perhaps 10 or so if the stadium were in downtown Miami. The OB location is tough to get to from here. Period. No way I could make it from work to a game during the week...so it would be weekend games for me exclusively.

oo... where are you from? i'm actually from boynton beach, originally.

 

from my house there, the drive to the OB is really only an additional 15 minutes. it's my experience, however, that just the mere thought of having to drive into miami is a deterrent for a lot of folks from palm beach county. I live in Lake Worth, not far from the Turnpike. So access to PPS is not too bad.

 

I lived in BB until just a few years ago.

  • Author

Since the new stadium that will be built next to the OB will be "roof ready", why dont they accept that deal.

 

Plus Jeb Bush has said that the state always help build stadiums so I think the roof can be added as the stadium is built.

Since the new stadium that will be built next to the OB will be "roof ready", why dont they accept that deal.

The Marlins are of course hearing other proposals...could be a better deal out there...

I'm just glad some other options are on the table to put pressure on Miami to get things done by March 15th. I don't trust the City of Miami. They screwed Henry. They screwed the Fusion. Nothing we say about the convenience or inconvenience of the site matters. The City of Miami is not a reliable partner. They only way they can prove they've changed their ways is to make a solid commitment in the next 2 months. If they can't get this deal solidified by March, the Marlins have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.