King pitches stadium plan to Gov. Bush

marlins24

The latest stadium plan in Miami falls one roof short of the Florida Marlins' dream park, but team officials said they will continue to keep the focus there while monitoring what promoter Don King trumpeted as a sign of support from Gov. Jeb Bush in Palm Beach County.

On Friday, King said he met Gov. Bush on Thursday at the Four Seasons hotel in Palm Beach. The governor was in town for a fund-raising visit by his brother, President Bush. King said he brought up his own idea for a ballpark on land he owns in Mangonia Park in central Palm Beach County.

"On two occasions, he said, 'I will support it if it's done right,' " King said. "He will find some money if it's done right. This is great news."

A Bush spokesman confirmed the men talked, but stopped short of saying it amounted to an endorsement of any specific plan by King. Bush has earlier hinted he might be willing to support state money for a ballpark in Miami if local politicians agree on a plan.

Marlins President David Samson said he will continue to concentrate on getting a deal done in Miami, where the club says it needs financing arrangements in place by March 15 in order to begin work on a stadium to open in 2007.

On Thursday, Miami city commissioners endorsed a plan outlined by consultants to rebuild the Orange Bowl -- where the University of Miami football team plays -- and build a baseball stadium beside it. The plan would cost $375 million, but it would not include a retractable roof the team says is important because of frequent threat of rain in South Florida.

The World Series champions previously pledged $137 million, and Miami-Dade has voted to commit $73 million. That leaves at least $165 million to be covered by an unspecified city contribution -- it would not come from general revenues, city leaders say -- along with possible state help or other sources.

"I'm hopeful the city and county will recognize the importance of a roof," Samson said.

As for King, Samson said, "I take calls every day. I spoke with Don the other day. We had a nice conversation. Right now I'm focusing on completing a deal in Miami. That's not to say we're not paying attention to what is happening in Broward and Palm Beach counties because we are."

The full costs of a roofed stadium could reach half a billion dollars, city advisers say. The Marlins initially pledged to cover costs overruns past $325 million if they were in charge of construction.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...c3011c00cb.html

here is the initial listing before it was sold.

courtesy defalco real estate group:

West

Palm Beach

Commercial Real

Estate Opportunity!

45th Street, Mangonia Park FL

*Former Jai Alai Fronton

*Offered at $22 million

Formerly

utilized as a Jai Alai sporting facility, this property has

tons of potential in the hands of the right developer. Over

54 acres, this property is the largest parcel of land in all

of Palm Beach County and South Florida with direct access

to I-95 and the Tri-Rail. Situated two I-95 exits north of

the new Palm Beach County Convention Center and City Place,

It's ideal for South Florida and Palm Beach County tourism

that this parcel be kept as mixed use to provide the maximum

benefit for the community. There is a Tri-Rail Substation

on the property. The

property is offered at $22 million. Call today to register

and receive a package.

561-391-4141

here is the initial listing before it was sold.

courtesy defalco real estate group:

West

Palm Beach

Commercial Real

Estate Opportunity!

45th Street, Mangonia Park FL

*Former Jai Alai Fronton

*Offered at $22 million

Formerly

utilized as a Jai Alai sporting facility, this property has

tons of potential in the hands of the right developer. Over

54 acres, this property is the largest parcel of land in all

of Palm Beach County and South Florida with direct access

to I-95 and the Tri-Rail. Situated two I-95 exits north of

the new Palm Beach County Convention Center and City Place,

It's ideal for South Florida and Palm Beach County tourism

that this parcel be kept as mixed use to provide the maximum

benefit for the community. There is a Tri-Rail Substation

on the property. The

property is offered at $22 million. Call today to register

and receive a package.

561-391-4141

bad location

i know its on tri-rail, but tri-rail sucks ass

it runs once an hour weekdays, every 2 hrs on weekends

its too far for miami dade AND broward to go to

and here is after the property was sold, care of the same source:

SOLD

in 1999, by Fred DeFalco, Sr.

Jai-Alai Center

1415 45th Street, Mangonia Park

Fred DeFalco closed on the sale of the 350,000-square-foot

Jai Alai facility in Palm Beach County.

Henrietta

King, wife of boxing promoter Don King, purchased

the Palm Beach Jai Alai Fronton with plans to turn

it into a mixed-use office and entertainment facility.

Mrs.

King?s Company, Henrietta Realty bought the Fronton

in Mangonia Park from an investment company controlled

by the Rooney family, owners of the Pittsburgh Steelers

football team.

I'm not naming anyone, but I love how people who live in or close to miami say people in palm beach and broward shouldn't care about teh extra length added to the trek to a new marlins stadium, but when it is proposed in palm beach county, everyone from dade county starts complaining about location. At least here you wouldn't have to park in jose's back yard. That and the stadium wouldn't look like siemiese twins born with birth defects.

I'm not naming anyone, but I love how people who live in or close to miami say people in palm beach and broward shouldn't care about teh extra length added to the trek to a new marlins stadium, but when it is proposed in palm beach county, everyone from dade county starts complaining about location.

Dade people love to complain for anything that doesn't benefit them... :thumbdown

you expect us to be happy when the stadium moves from 30 minutes away to 2 hours away, when you guys are just the outer suburbs and we are the real city?

sure!

Miami is the only "real" city in Florida... :rolleyes: Miami is the central (not location wise) city in SoFla. Why should it be built out in the middle of housing developments and malls?

I'm not naming anyone, but I love how people who live in or close to miami say people in palm beach and broward shouldn't care about teh extra length added to the trek to a new marlins stadium, but when it is proposed in palm beach county, everyone from dade county starts complaining about location. At least here you wouldn't have to park in jose's back yard. That and the stadium wouldn't look like siemiese twins born with birth defects.

the marlins need to move the stadium to somewhere useful. Am i crying cuz it would be a longer commute? Partly, but i'm also crying because if people really think they'll make more in money in the middle of nowhere, as opposed to miami, i'm crying cuz people are stupid enough to think that.

Bring me my siamese twins!

Haven't seen any browardite complain about the Palm Beach location... it's all been...

"It's too far away from Dade County!"

they dont complain because they dont care

If they cared, we wouldn't need a new stadium, they would have been coming to the Pro in the first place, and even with waynes horrible lease, we would still be fine in the revenue department.

Haven't seen any browardite complain about the Palm Beach location... it's all been...

If they cared, we wouldn't need a new stadium, they would have been coming to the Pro in the first place, and even with waynes horrible lease, we would still be fine in the revenue department. i couldnt have said it any better

i hate browardites

If they cared, we wouldn't need a new stadium, they would have been coming to the Pro in the first place, and even with waynes horrible lease, we would still be fine in the revenue department. True. They have the stadium in their own backyard and they're too lazy to go to games so they don't complain.

Why are you surprised that fans that live in a big city are angry about a stadium being built 60 miles away?

Let me fix that statement... "Why are you surprised that bandwagoners that live in a big city are angry about a stadium being built 60 miles away?"

If they cared, we wouldn't need a new stadium, they would have been coming to the Pro in the first place, and even with waynes horrible lease, we would still be fine in the revenue department.

So it's Broward's fault? The stadium is still in Miami-Dade County. What about all those "true" fans that appeared in the Post-Season. Most of them must have been from Miami-Dade County, I guess the long drive wasn't too far like the people complained about?

At the end Loria is going go with the best deal... whether it's Palm Beach, Broward, or Dade... "Dinero Talks."

So it's Broward's fault? The stadium is still in Miami-Dade County. What about all those "true" fans that appeared in the Post-Season. Most of them must have been from Miami-Dade County, I guess the long drive wasn't too far like the people complained about?

At the end Loria is going go with the best deal... whether it's Palm Beach, Broward, or Dade... "Dinero Talks." So the stadium is in Miami Dade?

It's less than a mile away from broward, is closer to broward people are than it is to dade people, and they don't have to deal with rush hour traffic for all the 7 o'clock games

It doesnt matter if its in Miami dade, or broward, it's closer to the PEOPLE in broward, so this brings me back to my point, if they don't want to go now, when will they want to go? Probably when there's another playoffs.

Let me fix that statement... "Why are you surprised that bandwagoners that live in a big city are angry about a stadium being built 60 miles away?"

You don't see the bandwagoners complaining - you see me complaining. A lot of bandwagoners are from Dade, but a lot of people from Dade on this site are not bandwagoners.

Southbound traffic less than a mile past the Broward line is enough to scare away Broward crowds?