Fire Richard Bush

Marlins2003

Here's the sum total of Marlins-related coverage in today's Miami Herald :

"Former Marlin Ivan Rodriguez arrived in Lakeland to join the Tigers in spring training. . . . "

For the last few days I've been monitoring spring training/local team coverage in the daily newspapers serving fifteen MLB cities fom Boston to San Diego, from Seattle to Atlanta. Pittsburgh, Philadephia, Chicago, LA, Denver, the list goes on and the only one, the only freakin' one where the is no coverage is, guess where - Miami.

Baseball is alive in America. Spring training is exploding across the sports pages of newspapers all across the country. Everywhere except in the sports newsroom at the Miami Herald.

The Herald's news blackout of the World Champion Florida Marlins continues except of course when it comes to their obsession with reminding baseball fans in South Florida that Pudge is gone. After virtually ignoring FanFest and burying signings while displaying front page, above the fold in color coverage of Derrek Lee signing (a contract, two months after being traded) in Chicago and finding room for Pudge, Pudge, Pudge until he was coming out our ears (and this from an avowed Pudge fan), it should be clear that as long as the current editor is there the Marlins will be burned at the stake every chance they get at Miami's daily newspaper.

Can anyone imagine the Dolphins being so ignored were they Super Bowl champs? It's almost laughable were it not so repugnant. Here you have the Marlins selling tickets hand over fist and the Herald ignores them them, worse seeks at every opportunity to marginalize them.

There can be no doubt that the Herald remains as determined as ever to undermine and if possible destroy the Marlins for whatever reason they have. No doubt Richard Bush (sports editor, rbush@herald.com), the most pathetic excuse for a sports media executive in America will continue his efforts to ruin the Marlins chances at getting a new stadium and if he is successful, drive the Fish from South Florida.

It's time to call for Richard Bush's firing. He has proven once again today, just as he did with his oft-ridiculed Kentucky Derby fiasco, that he doesn't deserve to run the sports department of a daily newspaper here or anywhere. The sooner he's gone the sooner the Marlins have at least a chance of fair and unbiased coverage in South Florida.

The Herald hates the Marlins and the Sun-Sentinel and Chicago Cubs are co-owned.

What does this tell you?

Admin needs to start a new newspaper in SoFla.

BTW, the News-Press and Naples Daily News pass along what ever they can about the Marlins and even highlight in bold Marlins stats, issues, and transactions in the sports page.

I don't get it. Even though the people who own the Cubs own the Sun-Sentinel, why would they print rumors of Marlins guys going to the Cubs? Cubs fans don't read the paper, Floridians do. What advantage is it to them to have rumors of Marlins guys going to the Cubs in a Florida paper?

All Tribune owned newspapers share articles. It is a newswire. Tribune readers in Chicagoland will more than likely see Berardino articles mentioned in the CubTrib.

I think it is deplorable how the Marlins are treated, but at the same time it is kind of early to gauge the media in this. I am not totally convinced that the Herald, or Richard Bush, have an agenda against the Marlins. That said, it wouldnt surprise me if there was one but I just dont see the angle at this time. Perhaps Huizenga has something to do with all of this...he is in the 'waste management' industry - kind of like those guys on the Sopranos... :mischief2

I would like to see more articles on the Marlins, but the same type of coverage is found when the Heat are in their offseason. Sooner or later, the media wont be able to ignore the Marlins and mistreat them - that is what I am hoping for anyway.

Besides, screw the media. They have too strong of a grip on our minds anyway. Liberate yourself and do the legwork yourself, become a critical thinker. Support sites like this and give the media hell...

I suggest to anyone who doesn't think spring training coverage is in full swing across America visit any or all of the following sites:

freep.com - detroit

philly.com - philadelphia

suntimes.com - chicago

stltoday.com - st louis

sunspot.net - baltimore

boston.com - boston

denverpost.com - denver

mercurynews.com - san jose/oakland

latimes.com - los angeles

and the list goes on, just pick a MLB city, go to the daily paper and check out the local team. Even BBTN is back.

The Herald has a long-standing anti-Marlin bias related to the stadium issue. If the Marlins can be cast in an unfavorable light, and South Floridians reminded of how fickle they are, the stadium will not be built and the Herald can tout free beer to tarpon or whatever crackpot social plan they recommend today.

The Herald has a long-standing anti-Marlin bias related to the stadium issue. If the Marlins can be cast in an unfavorable light, and South Floridians reminded of how fickle they are, the stadium will not be built and the Herald can tout free beer to tarpon or whatever crackpot social plan they recommend today.

Gotta agree with you...Every time the stadium issue heats up, the Herald starts printing articles about how ballparks in other cities have been flops, etc....

Then, or course, if the team ends up leaving, because no park was ever built, they will act like it was some sort of surprise and injustice....they drive me nuts.

The El Nuevo Herald section "Ovacion" often has nice Marlin (and general baseball) articles and photos, even in the offseason. I see it occasionally and stumble through what I can. Nice piece on Ozzie Guillen this week (first Dominican ML Manager).

El Herald is totally separate, so they don't bother to translate into El Ingles Herald.

The Cubs and the Sun-sentinel are really co-owned?

Yeah, they all fall under the same corporate umbrella, but it's a weak correlation.

Blaming the Sun-Sentinel for lack of Fish coverage bacause they are owned by the same company that owns the Cubs is like throwing out your GE refridgerator because you are upset at something you saw on NBC that night.

The Cubs and the Sun-sentinel are really co-owned?

Yeah, they all fall under the same corporate umbrella, but it's a weak correlation.

Blaming the Sun-Sentinel for lack of Fish coverage bacause they are owned by the same company that owns the Cubs is like throwing out your GE refridgerator because you are upset at something you saw on NBC that night. Geez, I hope they haven't picked up the trash yet....gotta run!