Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Happy Anniversary Jack McKeon

Featured Replies

From the Miami Herald:

 

McKeon: `It's been a nice year'

 

A year after Jack McKeon was hired as manager, Florida continues to reap the improbable rewards

 

By CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@herald.com

 

Bruce Bochy still finds it hard to fathom. The San Diego Padres manager figured Jack McKeon had disappeared from the baseball scene after a lifetime in the sport, figured he was sitting in a rocking chair someplace and wouldn't be heard from again.

 

A year ago today, Bochy was shocked -- like so many others.

 

McKeon, at age 72, was hauled out of mothballs by Florida and handed the managing reins. The rest is history. McKeon and the Marlins rose from the dead and won the World Series.

 

''It shows there are baseball Gods somewhere,'' Bochy said. ``For him to be at home, out of baseball and then step into that situation and win the World Series, that's unbelievable. That just doesn't happen.''

 

But it did.

 

''Is that right?'' McKeon replied when told today marked his one-year anniversary with the Marlins. ``I didn't realize it. I don't pay attention to dates and stuff like that. It went real fast. Hard to believe it's a year. But it's been a nice year.''

 

When the Marlins lost to the Colorado Rockies last May 10, dropping Florida's record to 16-22, owner Jeffrey Loria ordered change. Jeff Torborg was fired and replaced by McKeon, who became the oldest manager to take over a club.

 

BUMPY START

 

The Marlins didn't turn into instant winners under McKeon. In fact, a six-game skid shortly after he took over left the team at 19-29. But from that point, the Marlins took off. They joined the 1914 Boston Braves as the only teams to come from 10 games or more under .500 to win a World Series.

 

''It's an amazing scenario when you look at what all had to happen,'' Bochy said. ``I'm sure he's still pinching himself.''

 

McKeon hadn't managed since the Cincinnati Reds fired him after the 2000 season.

 

The Reds had finished 85-77 one year after going 96-67, falling just short of the playoffs amid higher hopes after the team traded for Ken Griffey Jr.

 

''I think the expectations became even higher when we got Griffey,'' McKeon said. ``Everyone thought we were going to be 10 games better than we were [in '99]. Yeah, we added 10 games the other way.''

 

McKeon ''didn't think it was right'' that he was fired just one season after being named National League Manager of the Year.

 

''But what are you going to do?'' he said.

 

McKeon went home to North Carolina figuring he would never manage again. He sat in his rocker and watched games on TV late into the night. One team that intrigued him was the Marlins.

 

''There was something wrong,'' McKeon said.

 

AIMING HIGH

 

After he came aboard, McKeon wasted no time in planting the winning seeds.

 

''The day I took over, I told those guys we could make the playoffs, and I believed that in my heart,'' he said. ``We had enough talent. Did I know we were going to win the World Series? No. But I knew we were going to make the playoffs.''

 

Florida closed the regular season under McKeon by going 75-49 and winning the wild-card spot. Factoring in this season's 18-13 mark, McKeon's record with the team is 93-62.

 

And Florida is in first place in the NL East.

 

Bochy still finds it hard to believe.

 

''At his age, to do what he's done, I couldn't be happier for him,'' Bochy said.

 

McKeon has a one-year contract, but has said he would like to work beyond it.

 

''Whether we finish first or last, I enjoy it,'' he said. ``I'm just going to go on until I don't enjoy it anymore or nobody wants me. I enjoy it, I have fun, and I think that's what keeps me young.''

 

Kudos to Jack. He is deserving of all the accolades coming his way. :thumbup

Link to Article

Ok, so I just got back from my trip to Miami. I was in Miami from Thur. - Mon and I went to the FRI and SUN games against the Padres. Good choices as it turns out. But I have to say, I listened to QAM a little when I was in the car and all I could hear was DOLPHINS DOLPHINS DOLPHINS. Then when I finally got to hear some Marlins talk the callers were calling in and Bithcing about the team some guy even called in and said he wanted Jack fired because he felt it would Spark the team kinda like last year when Torborg got fired. LOL.... I was just pissed at that point and turned off the radio cause no one seemed to have any baseball knowledge on that Radio station. SAD really....

Ok, so I just got back from my trip to Miami. I was in Miami from Thur. - Mon and I went to the FRI and SUN games against the Padres. Good choices as it turns out. But I have to say, I listened to QAM a little when I was in the car and all I could hear was DOLPHINS DOLPHINS DOLPHINS. Then when I finally got to hear some Marlins talk the callers were calling in and Bithcing about the team some guy even called in and said he wanted Jack fired because he felt it would Spark the team kinda like last year when Torborg got fired. LOL.... I was just pissed at that point and turned off the radio cause no one seemed to have any baseball knowledge on that Radio station. SAD really....

That's "sportstalk" radio in Miami for ya.

  • Author

Well, there is no doubt Jack was the spark that got us turned around last year. We don't need any new sparks this year. Jack is giving all the regulars a chance to step up. He is making subtle moves that are paying dividends. We'll see positive results on the current road trip.

It really is hard to believe that it was just one year ago! But it has been an amazing ride and one that I hope the Marlins continue to go on! :notworthy

Give Jack a contract extension.

Agreed.

 

Hell, god for bid if he passes away, we should freeze the man and leave him in the dougout.

  • Author

Here's another nice read from the Palm Beach Post:

 

McKeon's unlikely journey started year ago

 

By Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

 

MIAMI GARDENS -- The most hectic, satisfying year in Jack McKeon's professional life started one year ago today.

 

That was when the crusty, 72-year-old, cigar-chomping manager stormed into South Florida, ready to turn an underachieving team into a winner. McKeon was lured out of retirement by Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and told to work his magic.

 

The results, as the world knows by now, were stunning.

 

"I saw enough talent when I managed against these guys... There was something wrong,'' McKeon said. "There was something that wasn't making that move upward. It was staying in neutral. I just figured I was going to come in and make that talent... "

 

McKeon did not finish the sentence. But if he did, it probably would have ended with an exclamation point, just as the Marlins' season did. Just as McKeon's year did.

 

Padres manager Bruce Bochy remains a close friend of McKeon's, even though McKeon sent the former catcher to the minors in 1988, a move that pushed Bochy into coaching.

 

"It's an amazing scenario when you look at what all had to happen,'' Bochy said of McKeon's year in South Florida. "I'm sure he's still pinching himself. I would be. What's the odds of something like that ever happening? It just doesn't happen.

 

"It shows there are baseball gods somewhere.''

 

John Aloysius McKeon is the same man he was a year ago, when he left his home in Elon, N.C., to take over this struggling franchise. He still attends Catholic Mass every morning. He still smokes about 10 cigars every day -- even while on his daily walk.

 

The only difference now is McKeon is the most-wanted member of the senior set in sports. His rigorous off-season would be difficult for a man half his age to endure, never mind the oldest manager to lead his team to a World Series victory.

 

"That was crazy,'' he said. "You had so many opportunities to go around the country, and I turned down about half as many as I took. But I'd be willing to do it again.''

 

One of those he turned down: A request to be on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

 

McKeon is a storyteller with more than 55 years of baseball knowledge and experience. His language is salty. His approach direct. He figures at 73, what has he got to lose?

 

"He doesn't hold back. He says what is on his mind, whether you like it or not,'' pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal said. "He's said some things to me that were bad, but I needed to hear it.''

 

When McKeon arrived in South Florida one year ago, he knew nobody on his staff or his team other than following them from a distance. He leaned on his coaches at first, but soon made it clear who was in charge.

 

"He was the boss. I was a guy coming in who had never done this before,'' Rosenthal said. "Whatever he wanted, I did. Once I got to know him, I could say things to him or know when to say things. This year, it's been great. Last year was more just try to feel him out.''

 

McKeon's success goes beyond the World Series. The Marlins' 93-62 record since last May 11 is the best in the majors. The Yankees (92-64), Atlanta (91-65) and Boston (91-66) are next.

 

Last weekend, while reflecting on "the most enjoyable'' year of his career, McKeon showed no signs of slowing down. His energy rivals center fielder Juan Pierre's. McKeon still arrives at the park every day around 9:30 a.m., or straight from Mass. He still walks or jogs up to 5 miles a day. He still bounces from his smoke-filled office to the dugout to interviews to meetings.

 

McKeon was asked why he just didn't return to Elon for good following the World Series. Why he isn't enjoying his grandchildren while sitting on a deck instead of in the dugout.

 

"That doesn't energize me,'' he said. "Even my kids and my wife will tell you, get him the hell out of the house. Last year, and you know how the girls are, 'Dad, why don't you retire when you're on top?' Then the boys would jump in: 'Why don't you leave him alone. This is what he enjoys. Let him do what he enjoys.'

 

"They're right. Whether we finish first or last, I enjoy it. I'm just going to go until I don't enjoy it anymore or nobody wants me. I enjoy it, I have fun. I think that's what keeps me young.''

 

tom_dangelo@pbpost.com

 

Palm Beach Post Article

Ok, so I just got back from my trip to Miami. I was in Miami from Thur. - Mon and I went to the FRI and SUN games against the Padres. Good choices as it turns out. But I have to say, I listened to QAM a little when I was in the car and all I could hear was DOLPHINS DOLPHINS DOLPHINS. Then when I finally got to hear some Marlins talk the callers were calling in and Bithcing about the team some guy even called in and said he wanted Jack fired because he felt it would Spark the team kinda like last year when Torborg got fired. LOL.... I was just pissed at that point and turned off the radio cause no one seemed to have any baseball knowledge on that Radio station. SAD really....

You should listen to Ed Kaplan, Orlando Alzegary (sp?), and the Crow then. All know their baseball and love to talk Marlins. Its mostly not their fault that all the callers talk about are the Phins. Ed Kaplan even booted a guy off for talking about how the Marlins screwed America. Long story. Anyway, if you listen QAM enough, Joe Rose also will talk only god things about the Marlins...

It's my damn birthday. I bring the Marlins all the luck.

 

Al Leiter's no-hitter and Jack's hiring. I rule.

It's my damn birthday. I bring the Marlins all the luck.

 

Al Leiter's no-hitter and Jack's hiring. I rule.

Happy Birthday.

 

How about a Penny perfect game now? jackass

Give Jack a contract extension.

Agreed.

 

Hell, god for bid if he passes away, we should freeze the man and leave him in the dougout. lol , dont say s*** like that it might come true.

Give Jack a contract extension.

Agreed.

 

Hell, god for bid if he passes away, we should freeze the man and leave him in the dougout. lol , dont say s*** like that it might come true. Ted Williams can be his bench coach then. :lol

Sweet! Yay for Jack....even though I`m not a fan of the Herald. Give Jack an exstention, he`s great, much better then ole Torborg. :cheers sry I just liked that way too much!

Jack has done a great job! I remember when he first came to the team...he came and first played a home game against the rockies in which we won and then we went on a road trip...that first game at home before we went on the road was very important bc. I was glad that I got to see him manage a game before we went on the road...

 

He has done a great job....

Go Jack!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.