What does Lowell want?

What would make Mike Lowell stay in S. Florida? is it The Marlins in contension, money or a long term contract?.......and if it is money or a long term contract why dont we give it to him! he's....a fan favorite he's what brings fans out to the park.

I say, over and over. As a franchise, they should give him what he wants. Find some more damn 'Special Money' Loria. Screw Castillo and Lee.

The Brewers have Sexson.

The Expos have Gurereo

The Devil Rays have Huff.

Can't we have Lowell?

The Devil Rays have Huff.

AND... Rocco... :shifty :mischief2 I'll tell you when Rocco is good enough to make the list with those three... now Yeah I have too agree, he's almost leading the AL in batting average. He's also a real good outfielder. The kid is going to be a star for years to come.

I say the marlins should keep Lowell because Lee is not good enough, and I love Castillo but his skills are not enough to carry a team. So I agree keep Lowell even if you have to Let both Lee and Castillo go.

The funny thing is...

We might not be able to gte rid of 2 and keep 1. But I still think they will make the right decision and build a team of the future around Lowell's offense.

As the Indians with Burks. The Devil Rays with Huff.

right now the verdict is:

if we win, he stays...

so let's make it easy on Loria and Co. and WIN DAMMIT

I seriously think tonight will be the night we jolt our way up the standings...

Sit back, hope and pray for... :brigginbounce :rock :balloons :party :arms :cheers :jump :group :thumbup :w00t :happydance :coolman :marlins :drunks

What would make Mike Lowell stay in S. Florida? is it The Marlins in contension, money or a long term contract?.......and if it is money or a long term contract why dont we give it to him! he's....a fan favorite he's what brings fans out to the park.

I don't think it is a question of what Lowell wants, but more of a decision from the management that they might not be able to afford him next year. He is not a free agent next year that I know of, but arbitration elegible, which would allow him to get some serious money, especially with the numbers he is putting. Therefore, he doesn't get to decide whether to stay or not, unless he is traded. That is why I believe he should be offered a contract extension before the July 31 deadline; we can have him now a lot cheaper that at the end of the year. And, you are right, he is not only a fan's favorite and a run producer, but a genuine franchise player.

I think that the time for "getting to know what we have" is over! This guy has proven to be the best player we have had in quite a while, with no signs of slowing down. Instead of trying to trade our best player, we should be putting more emphasis on our weaker areas and improve them: we need a good bench, a veteran starter, and probably a proven reliever (I am sick and tired of watching Almanza walking everyone!)

BTW, are we having a platoon at LF? Or maybe we don't have a LF? I have seen Hollandsworthless, Banks, and Allen over there the last couple of days. What about getting a proven left fielder for a change instead of trading Lowell !!! Like I said before, the missing piece of this puzzle is not 3B...

Hollandsworthless?

um no.

also Banks started 6 games in the win streak because TH's hammy was sore

Chad Allen started tonight because TH isnt good vs lefties, and Banks did play because????

TH and Banks are a fine tandem in LF

JUst look at today's game!

Mike Lowell, 1 double, 2 HRs, 3 runs and 6 RBIs!!!

Just extend his contract, Beinfest, you idiot!!! And the same goes to the Evil Dwarf and the Bone Collector!!! :banghead

Don't blame Bienfest... He doesn't pay the salaries. He just controls what they are. If Loria gives Bienfest the funds to do it, Lowell will sign a big deal to Florida. Need I remind you this is his home town, that doesn't attract much attention to him when he slumps...Therefore, less pressure...

What I was saying is that we don't really have an offensive threat in the outfield besides Encarnaci?n. Yes, Hollandsworth has been hitting some doubles and Banks heated up for a few games, but that's it. Also, our bench smells like rotten fish. I don't know the numbers yet, but the fact is that when we give someone [from the starters] the day off our offense is not the same. I know we cannot have 3 .400 hitters on the bench, but anything might be better than what we currently have.

What I was saying is that we don't really have an offensive threat in the outfield besides Encarnaci?n. Yes, Hollandsworth has been hitting some doubles and Banks heated up for a few games, but that's it. Also, our bench smells like rotten fish. I don't know the numbers yet, but the fact is that when we give someone [from the starters] the day off our offense is not the same. I know we cannot have 3 .400 hitters on the bench, but anything might be better than what we currently have.

If you could refresh my memory...

What happened when McKeon changed around the line-up card with Banks in LF and Redmond at Catcher? Oh, yea, a 6 game winning streak occured...Funny...

I hope the Front office can be creative enough to offer a contract that can appeal to Lowell but also give the "Club payroll flexebility".

For Example:

5 year deal 35 Million dollars deal that includes incentive package that Lowell can potentially earn to raise his earnings.

7 mil per year is not bad and not including incentives.

What does Lowell want?? He wants Rolen-like money. And the fact is he going to get something very close to it next year in arbitration. Once again, there is no way the Marlins have the flexibility to offer him 25 percent of their annual payroll. Just no way.

And come to think of it, I wouldn't want them to. As much as Lowell is Da Man, every dollar concentrated on his contract is one less to spread around the rest of the field. If Lowell stays (The Marlins will get snowed out at home before that happens) he'll be playing with the Florida version of the Bad News Bears next year.

As for Minus and his inventive idea for an offer to keep Lowell. Nice try, but why would Lowell agree to an incentive-laden deal when he doesn't have to anywhere else. Also, 7 mil a year is probably going to be a little low for his services - Baseball arbitors are all about consideration of stats. And the way it looks, Lowell might have the best year in the NL at 3B this year.

Oh, and by the way, he (and his agent) aren't idiots. Why the hell would they sign an extension this year?