Rick Dudley fired!

jmenjes

Just saw on the bottom line on ESPNEWS that Rick Dudley was let go by the Panthers today.

Why? I didn't think he was doing a bad job as GM. It took some time to get Tampa Bay turned around. The management here only gave him 2 years; he should have had some more time as GM.

Looks like the team has a press conference set for Wednesday to name a new coach and a GM.

Sportsline.com story

9 coaches in 12 years. This move was done to clean out the front office. Dudley and Keenan were a screw up for the ownership. Cohen wants a bigger role, so as owner, he canned them and now will get a new strong coach, a weaker GM, and deal with players himself.

9 coaches in 12 years. This move was done to clean out the front office. Dudley and Keenan were a screw up for the ownership. Cohen wants a bigger role, so as owner, he canned them and now will get a new strong coach, a weaker GM, and deal with players himself.

Just what we need...the Steinbrenner of hockey...

Just what we need...the Steinbrenner of hockey... Actually, Cohen is the one who got Horton signed this year. He is quite good in his dealings.

Guest Moneyball

man, i was hoping dudley would work his magic like he did for tampa bay. now the panthers future seems uncertain

can you say contraction

the panthers are my #1 favorite florida team. i want the best for them , and i cant imagine Florida w/o them. i hope everything goes well for them next year and that this was a good move, cause im unsure

Too bad there won't be a next year.

Now that I think of it, maybe the fact that there will probasbly be no hockey for the foreseeable future had something to do with it, maybe precitiated the firing a little?

i'm not a hockey fan (even though i do know 95% of the teams). which teams do you expect to be contracted?

None. It is all a game similar to MLB. The NHL owners will win because the NHLPA is not afraid of contraction, but of the league going belly up as punishment. The Pittsburgh Penguins have declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy twice and the courts will deal contracts of players, reduce them, cancel them, etc. to make the NHL viable again.

do you see any teams relocating? lets say winnipeg and quebec

Winnipeg will not get a team, and neither will Quebec City. They lost teams because they could not support them. NHL expansion is coming up sooner than contraction, believe me. Actually Winnipeg lost it because the Jets wanted a new arena and didn't get one.

I guess I like this move. I love Jacqes Martin but I Dudley is a very good GM. I don't get that but I guess there was an internal power struggle. Keenan as GM. Thats iffy.

Jacque Martin is a fabulous move! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

We'll see how Keenan works out as GM... I wonder if Cohen was having a problem with Dudley. I know that Cohen liked Mike Keenan & probably had still been in contact with him after Keenan was let go.

But if it's Martin as coach that is unquestionably good news. As much as I hate all the turnover lately, it's not all that uncommon in the NHL these days, and the guy has had a lot of success in this league.

The Panthers also named Steve Goldstein their new play-by-play voice with Jiggs O'Brien retiring.

Despite the squeaky voice, he's put in his time & think he'll do well.

Good luck Goldie! :hat

Jacque Martin is a fabulous move! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

We'll see how Keenan works out as GM... I wonder if Cohen was having a problem with Dudley. I know that Cohen liked Mike Keenan & probably had still been in contact with him after Keenan was let go.

But if it's Martin as coach that is unquestionably good news. As much as I hate all the turnover lately, it's not all that uncommon in the NHL these days, and the guy has had a lot of success in this league.

The Panthers also named Steve Goldstein their new play-by-play voice with Jiggs O'Brien retiring.

Despite the squeaky voice, he's put in his time & think he'll do well.

Good luck Goldie! :hat

Jiggs O'Brien? :blink:

I like Steve Goldstein a lot and would not be surprised to see Jiggs make the occasional apperance on radio to talk hockey and the like.

I don't like this at all. This team was going very European with the moves this year, and now Keenan's coming back? Stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, this team died the day Keenan gave Pavel Bure away. Still waiting to see how that helped the franchise. And to those who say "well, that's $10 mil we don't have to pay him and look where he is now" you're wrong, they gave him away for NOTHING, and he probably wouldn't have been headhunted by the Devils like he was in New York. Filip Novak is a nothing prospect, and Ulanov isn't even on the team, and that was a trade that Keenan demanded, it's going to be a damn long time before this team gets respectable.