Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pavano Prefers Florida

Featured Replies

Pavano prefers Florida: Off to a 7-2 start with a 2.81 ERA, Carl Pavano has emerged as the Marlins most consistent starter. He's having an All-Star caliber season.

At the rate he is going, Pavano is shaping up as one of the top free-agent candidates after the year.

 

While he will be able to test the market, Pavano says his first choice is returning to the Marlins. The ownership was with him in Montreal. And in July of 2002, the Marlins acquired Pavano from the Expos in a deal that sent Cliff Floyd to the Expos.

 

"I'd love to come back here next year," Pavano said. "This will be my first choice. I've been through so much with this team, who wouldn't want to come back and relive all those memories and being around a great bunch of guys who feed off each other, and have fun and win.

 

"I feel I owe the ownership something because I've been with this ownership for six years, and I've been through so many downs in the beginning, and so many ups and downs. They've kind of battled through it with me. I've been appreciative of that."

 

Plagued with arm troubles in 1999-2001, Pavano is becoming the kind of pitcher that was expected when he was a central part of the trade that sent Pedro Martinez from Montreal to Boston.

 

"I don't really look that far ahead," Pavano said of his pending free-agent status. "When I was younger, coming through that Pedro trade, I always looked ahead. And I always got ahead of myself and I ended up getting injured and never got a chance to complete my dreams. My challenges are these next four days, get prepared for my next start, and I'll take it from there."

Nice to see a guy have some loyallty once in a while and not just go for a bigger piece of cake. Nice.

Let's not get too excited considering the almighty dollar will be flashed around. I'll jump for him once the ink on the contract dries.

That is awesome. A real flocking team player who is willing to stick out with the team he won it all with besides the fact he could make so much more on another team. Tip your hats to Pavano ladies and gents.

Wow someone showing some loyality and not abandoning everything for the money, what a concept who would ever think of something like that. It likes loyality and family are more improtant than money, hopefully there are others out there watching and learning from the great Pavano.

Nice to see the loyalty......

 

'Cause I really want to see Carl in a Marlins uniform for several years to come. :thumbup

Let's not get too excited considering the almighty dollar will be flashed around. I'll jump for him once the ink on the contract dries.

me 2...

This is an interesting development for the following reason:

 

If we let Pavano go we only will get a draft pick. If we can sign him to a deal that is reasonable til the hampton money is gone we could get something significant, for say penny, in the offseason. I am not saying that I want to deal Penny! But the reality of running the Marlins on a budget means we may not be able to keep all five starters. Dealing penny in the offseason would allow us to totally restock our farm system. Penny's agent wants to take him to free agency after next season if i remember correctly.

This is good to hear and this is how we can keep some of our good players even though we dont really have enough money for them..(by them staying on the team because they like the team and they want to play in miami...etc.)

Hi all new to the board and this is great news because these days not many player are loyal in any sports! Take Ogun for instance from the dolphins he would even be playing in the NFL if it wasnt for the dolphins and instead of playing out his las year being a rfa he rather hold out while chris chamber is in the last year of his contract and he chooses not say a word and do what he has to do to get the big bucks next year!

Welcome to the site!

 

You might want to check the Other Sports section. We talk about the 'Fins there a lot.

I'd like to see Pavano here long-term, but will the Marlins offer it? We'll have to wait til' the offseason, because they don't negotiate during the season. Should be interesting.....

Hi all new to the board and this is great news because these days not many player are loyal in any sports! Take Ogun for instance from the dolphins he would even be playing in the NFL if it wasnt for the dolphins and instead of playing out his las year being a rfa he rather hold out while chris chamber is in the last year of his contract and he chooses not say a word and do what he has to do to get the big bucks next year!

Welcome to the site!

Pavs sounds awesome...how come so many on the board say he's a jerk? He hardly sounds like one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.