Team before the Marlins

g8trz2003

this came to me when reading the Jack Nicholson bandwagon thread...dont know if it should be in here or MLB forum....

anyway this pertains to Marlins fans only...and ones who are old enough to have followed baseball before 1993....or I guess Marlins fans who became fans sometime after 93...either way who cares...just post

What team did you root for before the Marlins were around?

I was a Cubs fan. I was 8 when the Marlins started playing in 93. I liked the Cubs b/c I could watch em. I was a huge George Bell fan, and my interest declined when they traded him for some scrawny scrub named Sammy Sosa. The Marlins were formed, and I threw away any Cub allegiance. I hate em now (minus DLee who is baller).

Born and raised in metro Detroilet, which means my upbringing consisited of dodging gunfire, messing with crackwhores and taking in Tigers games.

Kinda convienient now, I've got a favorite squad in both leagues, and the moon will crash into the earth before they meet each other in the WS and my allegiances become torn.

I was only 6 in '93 but I was being raised to be a Cardinal fan. I had a bunch of Cardinal clothes and Cardinal hats among other Cardinal items. My dad grew up across the river from St. Louis in Belleville, IL so I was supposed to be a Cards fan.

I still root for the Cards if they are playing anyone but the Marlins. If they didn't have Edgar I'm not sure I would though.

I was a bandwagoner...but mainly rooted for two teams, solely on the fact that I was an Athletic and then a Blue Jay on little league. Although I rooted for the Blue Jays when they won, the Twins when they won (also played with them in little league), my true team was the Oakland A's...I still remember the Bash brothers, Henderson, Eckersley...what a team!

well i was 8/9 when the marlins started, but if i ever had a team before them it would be the white sox because i met alex fernandez and he pitched for them at the time. he went to my elementary school when he was a kid and was a bit of a celebrity there.

10 years later i still root for the fish and i am a sox fan again

Guest Juanky

I didn't really follow baseball or anything before the Fish, because I was 6/7, but if anyone I did pull for the Reds cuz my dad liked them, the Red Sox cuz of the Ted Williams connection, and the Blue Jays cuz I played on them two years. Used to not mind the Phils cuz I played on a team called the Phillies, but that has since ended.

I was a Braves fan before drafted in 1993 by the Marlins in the Expansion Fan Draft. Have been pretty happy ever since.

good one...

:lol Those Braves were pretty bad, I couldn't watch them against the Giants....that was like a race to see who could choke first. :plain

Before 93, I was probably as big a Mets fan as I am a Marlins fan now. My father and grandfather were from NY and huge Mets fans, so I grew up into that. Plus, we were able to watch Mets games on WWOR when it was on down here. We even went to Atlanta a few times mainly to see the Mets play. But when the Marlins came along, people were surprised at how quickly I switched. I always dreamed of having a team here, and it wasnt too hard to stop rooting for the Mets of the early 90's.

Hmmm... You guys are gonna laugh at me.

I was a Braves fan. I was young, so I didn't know much the difference, but I liked the Braves because they were the closest to me at that time. But I wasn't a huge fan or anything. I just liked watching baseball with my dad. I remember one time watching Pete Rose & Darryl Strawberry on TV. I don't remember how young I was though.

I wasn't really a fan of any team only 8 at the time, but I guess the closest to a favorite team was the Orioles...If anything I liked the Cannons. I went to bunch of their games its a minor league team I think Single A or AA. Its changed teams a couple times could be White Sox, O's, or Cards, I can't remember