Real Reason we didnt take Jameer Nelson

sheff#1

CUZ WE DIDNT NEED A PG. according to this interview they had prior to the draft with Heat GM Randy Phund they were not looking goin into the draft for PG needs. it could be adressed later in the draft if needed but they were looking for the most atheletic player on the board and the best on their llist. Wright is a steal if u just do research on him he was ranked 4th best high schooler. the guy is a young tmac could score rebound and is the best shooting prep player in the draft.

Interview with Phund,

A: ?I think the first point guards that will go early are Livingston, Gordon and Harris. I think that?s the top three. I think the next two point guards are probably Telfair and Jameer Nelson. I?d say it?s 50/50 ? one of those guys could certainly be there for us. I think we?ll evaluate that just like we do every other position. I don?t think we?d be opposed to taking a point guard if that?s the player that we thought was there, but I don?t think we?re going into the draft thinking we need a point guard. We?ll try to evaluate those guys like we do the other positions and you can?t discount the fact that if there?s another wing there that we wouldn?t do that?I think most of you guys were a little surprised positionally with the decision to go with Dwyane, but I think we felt like he was the best player. So, we?ll follow that same theory this year, and there are some good wing players that could be there for us also.?

we all know wright will probably be good....IN A COUPLE OF YEARS.

That's the thing. We wanted someone that's good now. Someone's that's had experience. 4 years of college sounds pretty damn good to me.

But I can understand Pfund and Riley's reasoning and they sound excited about Dorrel so I put my faith into them.

And it's true...where would we fit Jameer, especially if we resign Alston?

If Jameer would have impressed, I guess he would have started at PG and Wade at SG but I doubt Riley would ever bench EJ, first because its a shame that the person making half the salary cap is on the bench and he's lead the heat in scoring last couple of years. But yeah, it doesn't matter.

I just hope we can address our big man situation in FA now.

bulls***! This team is a few contributors away from contending for the Eastern Conference crown. Wright may be years away from even starting, and we don't need anyone else at the position. If we don't sign Alston who are the PG's on this team?

Nelson may not have started but he would have had a role similar to Skip's this year and he may be a better NBA player.

I think and hope Wright could be something special one day. I mean whe Pat Riley has that much confidence in a high school player considering that he's not exactly the fondest of fond when it comes to inexperience, he must have impressed him a lot.

I know Nelson's probably gonna do great next year and I wish him the best, I'm trying my best to get over it because guess what, it's over and can't be changed now.

And yeah I wouldn't exactly call Wade a PG either but whatever.

I read a kind of assuring article in Sun-Sentinel and that now the top priority right now is to resign Skip.

u know what i see when i look at nelson??the next mateen cleaves. a undersized bust. why do u think so many teams passed on nelson for a reason. hes another juan dixon and cleaves. a bench player who can score occasionally. nelson doesnt fit in this team. if u start him and point and move wade to SG u have a wayyyy to small lineup. as the interview said we dont need a PG we need size so they couldnt get it in the draft so they went after atheticism.Riley is not stupid he made the right picks last 2 year and knows what hes doin. and NO this guy is NOT 5 YRS FROM CONTRIBUTING SO STOP SMOKING THAT ENDO.that means he would be 23? yea sure pass that chronic. the guy will be an end of the rotation guy this year and a full rotation player this year. the heat have the best development program in the nba and will get him ready in a year. NELSON WILL BE A BUST

i still wouldnt exactly call wade a point guard.

the magic got a steal in nelson and he will make teams regret passing on him.

high school players after 15 have largely failed and miserably.

do the research.

I don't agree with you and I do not believe statistics have proven that HS players taken after 15, especially in round one alone, have failed miserably.

1996: Jermaine O'Neal #17 to Portland

1998: Al Harrington #25 to Indiana, Rashard Lewis #32 to Seattle, Korleone Young #40 to Detroit

1999: Leon Smith #29 to Dallas

2000: DeShawn Stevenson #23 to Utah

2001: Osumane Cisse #47 to Denver

2003: Travis Outlaw #23 to Portland, Ndudi Ebi #26 to Minnesota, Kendrick Perkins #27 to Boston

Now of the players taken in round one from HS past 15, O'Neal is great, Harrington is a very good player who is young, Smith never had a chance and went nuts and has talent, Stevenson has not lived up to expectations but has shown glimpses, especially at the end of last year and just turned 23 years old.

Outlaw, Ebi and Perkins are all too young to judge and can still become very good players. Also, typically, when you draft that late in the first round, many players do not succeed anyway.

For players drafted after round one, you really are never supposed to expect anything special. Rashard Lewis has been very good and is still very young. Young and Cisse were busts but you can not ever really expect great things out of a second round pick, so to call a second round pick a bust or to say they failed miserably is kind of crazy.

This year there were eight HS players taken within the first 19 picks. While all might not succeed, there is not a terrible track record of HS kids they are following. To be taken at #19 like Dorell Wright was in this draft does not say anything bad, and I have faith he will pan out in a few years after he develops. So now that I have done the research, Das, I do not agree with your assessment and comments.

u know what i see when i look at nelson??the next mateen cleaves. a undersized bust. why do u think so many teams passed on nelson for a reason. hes another juan dixon and cleaves. a bench player who can score occasionally. nelson doesnt fit in this team. if u start him and point and move wade to SG u have a wayyyy to small lineup. as the interview said we dont need a PG we need size so they couldnt get it in the draft so they went after atheticism.Riley is not stupid he made the right picks last 2 year and knows what hes doin. and NO this guy is NOT 5 YRS FROM CONTRIBUTING SO STOP SMOKING THAT ENDO.that means he would be 23? yea sure pass that chronic. the guy will be an end of the rotation guy this year and a full rotation player this year. the heat have the best development program in the nba and will get him ready in a year. NELSON WILL BE A BUST

You might want to edit your draft thread posts because I think someone edited your posts to make you falsely look mad about not drafting Nelson.

That or you're a homer who thinks that he will turn into T Mac and right now. O'neal was a quick hit, he had no problem adjusting and he was an allstar right away.

You might want to edit your draft thread posts because I think someone edited your posts to make you falsely look mad about not drafting Nelson.

That or you're a homer who thinks that he will turn into T Mac and right now. O'neal was a quick hit, he had no problem adjusting and he was an allstar right away. no at the moment i was upset cuz i was expecting nelson. but after reading that the heats first priority is to sign back skip and hearing the gm say they arent really looking for a PG i didnt care after that. i also did my research on Dorell Wright and turned out he was underatted and was a steal.the guy won prep skool player of the year and was ranked 4th best in in the nation in high skool regardless of where he went in the draft. he dropped because of team needs. mock drafts had him goin 20th to denver if we didnt snatch him. we did so denver took nelson and didnt really want him. theres a reason 20 teams passed on him.

That or you're a homer who thinks that he will turn into T Mac and right now. O'neal was a quick hit, he had no problem adjusting and he was an allstar right away. no at the moment i was upset cuz i was expecting nelson. but after reading that the heats first priority is to sign back skip and hearing the gm say they arent really looking for a PG i didnt care after that. i also did my research on Dorell Wright and turned out he was underatted and was a steal.the guy won prep skool player of the year and was ranked 4th best in in the nation in high skool regardless of where he went in the draft. he dropped because of team needs. mock drafts had him goin 20th to denver if we didnt snatch him. we did so denver took nelson and didnt really want him. theres a reason 20 teams passed on him. Dude he wasn't even on the USA Today HS 1st team.

That or you're a homer who thinks that he will turn into T Mac and right now. O'neal was a quick hit, he had no problem adjusting and he was an allstar right away. no at the moment i was upset cuz i was expecting nelson. but after reading that the heats first priority is to sign back skip and hearing the gm say they arent really looking for a PG i didnt care after that. i also did my research on Dorell Wright and turned out he was underatted and was a steal.the guy won prep skool player of the year and was ranked 4th best in in the nation in high skool regardless of where he went in the draft. he dropped because of team needs. mock drafts had him goin 20th to denver if we didnt snatch him. we did so denver took nelson and didnt really want him. theres a reason 20 teams passed on him. Dude he wasn't even on the USA Today HS 1st team. keep thinking that. and if u keep thinking that nelson was the answer then u need to do some research. the guy is nothing more than mateen cleaves or juan dixon. we werent the only ones that passed on him. 20 other teams did. take a hint.

bottom line: we dont have a PG signed for next year

if it wasnt that way, i could understand getting a swingman who is a project

but we needed a PG that could help off the bench this year

his name is Skip and he will be resigned its the heats #1 priority and he has stated he wants to remain here. skip will stay and they are confident enough that he is to go out and not draft a PG. Its common sense ppl riley isnt stupid to start the season without a Backup PG thats reliable. SKip will be here next year

Heat and Riley = Morons for not taking Nelson what a waste of my time watching 19 picks to see the Heat skip on Jameer Nelson and take this other nerd.

learn basketball. we passed on him and so did 18 other teams. get a hint. the guy is overatted and to small and not a fit for this team. we are to small and need to get bigger and u dont do that by adding a 5'11 guard. hes the next coming of mateen cleaves like ive said. end of discussion. any comments from here on out are non credibal. im right and your wrong case closed. when anyone backs up their statments with facts about why 19 teams passed on him and why if he was the best college player he dropped. teams are going for the stud in the future and in this case4 dorrel wright is a stud.

his name is Skip and he will be resigned its the heats #1 priority and he has stated he wants to remain here. skip will stay and they are confident enough that he is to go out and not draft a PG. Its common sense ppl riley isnt stupid to start the season without a Backup PG thats reliable. SKip will be here next year OK, well who's the backup?

his name is Skip and he will be resigned its the heats #1 priority and he has stated he wants to remain here. skip will stay and they are confident enough that he is to go out and not draft a PG. Its common sense ppl riley isnt stupid to start the season without a Backup PG thats reliable. SKip will be here next year OK, well who's the backup? Skip is the backup. :whistle