0-11

I mentioned once before, I don't blame Robinson...or anyone else....for the Marlins inability to hit, especially with runners on base. But he has added nothing. I don't think our batting problems would be any worse with NO ONE as batting coach. Find me one player that Robinson has turned around. On the pitching side I can say Rosy has improved Pavano, Penny, Benitez for starters. He has helped quite a few of these guys learn how to PITCH and throw strikes and keep their pitch counts down. He has worked with the mission imposible of mechanics in Dontrelle and he will find the answer along with Willis. Most of all...under Rosey no one has gone down with a major arm injury.

Pierre: Everyone sees he is putting too many balls in the air. There must be something he is doing that he did differently last season....hello Bill?

Castillo: Many of you have mentioned he takes to many pitches, more than last season. I have not noticed, but if that's the case someone needs to discuss the pros and cons of working the count...hello Bill?

Lowell: Not much to say. He had a severe slump and worked his way out of it.

Cabrera: Does not understand working the count in his favor. Unable to consistently take the low and outside pitch the other way. Wants to pull too much. With two strikes he does not do a great job of protecting the plate. Yes, he is a slugger but so is Mike Lowell and often you see Lowell foul off multiple pitches...Miguel is young, Lowell is a vet...but we gotta be sure someone is guidging him properly so that he matures as a hitter not just physically, but mentally...hello Bill?

Conine: Like Lowell...he is a veteran that probably knows himself better than any batting coach.

Choi: What was the stat I mentioned...over 340 average when he puts the ball in play with two strikes or less and 170'ish with 2 strikes? Takes too many pitches...we need him as a run producer and he takes too many pitches he can drive early in the count. Choi when aggressive can be a 280+ hitter....when he tries to work the count MLB pitchers will get 2 strikes on him..and then he is done, unless he walks of course. Hello Bill?

Sea Bass: A batter that can go on streaks of 350+ batting average and drive the ball with doubles power is a batting coaches dream. So what happens when he goes in to one of his slumps like no one else we have seen? There is NO REASON this guy cannot be a consistent 250-260 hitter. Hello Bill?

Most of all, his removal will hit the guys hard because they will feel responsible. Sad but true this is often a tactic that does some good.

1. Add a starter

2. Willis to the Pen

3. Add a (Nomar, Renterial, even O. Cabrera) at SS or Jason Kendall at CA.

4. Robinson removed as batting coach

Disagree strongly with you on Choi. His patience is his best asset, you don't change that. Most hitters fail with 2 strikes on them, the 2004 Marlins are hitting .192 with 2 strikes and the 2003 Marlins .191.

439481[/snapback]

With 2 strikes Choi is: 161 (18-112)

Since he is 59-215 this season that means he is batting .398 when he puts the ball in play with less than two strikes. A diifference of 237 points. How does that compare with other Marlins?

Choi 161 / 398 (237 difference)

Gonzalez 105 / 331 (226)

Redmond 111 / 336 (225)

Cabrera 184 / 342 (158)

Castillo 189 / 358 (169)

Pierre 219 / 331 (112)

Lowell 240 / 336 (96)

Conine 213 / 300 (87)

But hey, Derrek Lee is 135 / 389 (254)

:)

With 2 strikes Choi is: 161 (18-112)

Since he is 59-215 this season that means he is batting .398 when he puts the ball in play with less than two strikes. A diifference of 237 points. How does that compare with other Marlins?

Choi 161 / 398 (237 difference)

Gonzalez 105 / 331 (226)

Redmond 111 / 336 (225)

Cabrera 184 / 342 (158)

Castillo 189 / 358 (169)

Pierre 219 / 331 (112)

Lowell 240 / 336 (96)

Conine 213 / 300 (87)

439547[/snapback]

thats an extremely deceptive stat... hitters who record a lot of outs via the strikeout register all of those outs with a 2-strike count and none with 1- or 0-strike counts. furthermore, hitters with high strikeouts who make poor ball contact (e.g. choi & seabass) naturally have the worst numbers with 2 strikes. i recently heard a stat that choi leads all of baseball in swinging misses.

i'm not saying there's nothing to be said about making adjustments while behind in an at-bat, but trying to glean information from 2-strike batting average splits isn't particularly useful when evaluating a player such as choi.

The hitting coach is NOT the problem. This team is just struggling and if you try and force the issue, it will only get worse. It is like quicksand, the more you struggle, the deeper you sink.

And since when is hitting with 2 strikes a big deal? Most hitters dont hit successfully with 2 strikes. In fact, that is not a stat that you will find consistently better among the better hitters around baseball.

This team's offense will come around. It certainly cant get any worse. And although I think you can make an argument to fire Robinson, I dont think it will benefit this team. It isnt like a managerial change because these hitters wont all of a sudden snap out of it. It takes time.

Bring in Tony Perez or Andre Dawson..

439042[/snapback]

i wouldnt do that, great hitters usually make bad hitting coaches.

439077[/snapback]

Eddie Murray was a good hitting coach. I wish Tony Gwynn could be hired.

439757[/snapback]

Eddie Murray is STILL a good hitting coach. See Indians...