National League may not change Marlins name

CapeFish

The National League owners are a large bunch. If you don't know them, they are very picky about changing things in their league. The last time a National League team moved was when the Braves moved to Atlanta from Milwaukee. The Brewers moved from Seattle after 1 season in existance, but were an AL team at the time.

But look at the names of the teams in the league:

Arizona 1998

Atlanta 1871

Chicago 1874

Cincinnati 1882

Colorado 1993

Florida 1993

Houston 1962

Los Angeles 1884

Milwaukee 1969

Montreal 1969

New York 1962

Philadelphia 1880

Pittsburgh 1882

San Diego 1969

San Francisco 1879

Saint Louis 1882

The NL owners may not want to allow the American League ANY wiggle room in Florida. If Orlando were to be awarded a franchise in the future, right now, the NL would have veto power over the AL being the league to have the team. They may not want to allow the Marlins to change their name, but as it stands right now Loria isn't going to change the name. I think we shall see this issue go away once Alex Penelas goes away from this issue.

Guest marlins02

dude i really dont think the individual leagues have any say whatsoever. didnt MLB pretty much do away with the old system of seperate leagues? i believe theyre only different leagues in title only.

what the hell makes you care about this stuff cape

450698[/snapback]

Calm down do you want every topic on the Marlins to be considering a marlins trade or we suck what are we gona do, Alot of people want the name to stay the same. If your not intersested in reading the post then hey... Dont Read it!

450748[/snapback]

I'm calm...did i write my post like I wasn't calm? NO

This has been an ongoing debate on these forums, and this is just one more detail added.

It seems the NL owners and AL owners are still seperated because look at the Expos relocation. The Expos can move to Washington because the leagues are still seperate in markets.

what the hell makes you care about this stuff cape

450698[/snapback]

Calm down do you want every topic on the Marlins to be considering a marlins trade or we suck what are we gona do, Alot of people want the name to stay the same. If your not intersested in reading the post then hey... Dont Read it!

450748[/snapback]

I'm calm...did i write my post like I wasn't calm? NO

450754[/snapback]

Steroid are you new to this forum??

For those who didn't know, 2002 was to be an expansion year with 2 teams joining the American League. Rumors were Charlotte and Portland would be the only cities capable because Charlotte has the ballpark where the Knights play (actually in South Carolina, but in Charlotte metro) that would be renovated and expanded as planned into an MLB park. Portland would use the plans they currently have. That way the AL could have 2 teams in areas where they could have instant rivals.

Portland and Seattle, Charlotte and Baltimore

The NL would then expand in 2008 into Orlando and Washington, DC.

Then the Expos crashed for good and everything was scrapped. That is why the Marlins are Florida. The Orlando and Miami epansion groups made a deal in 1993 to hold the NL away from Tampa so that Miami could get the NL Expansion team in 1993 and Orlando could get an NL team in the future. Meanwhile, Tampa got stuck with a 1998 AL team.

Florida Marlins includes all of South Florida in it's fan base....and extends into Central and wishful thinking would say North Florida.

Central Florida used to be Marlin fans...until the firesale...then such papers as the Sentinel and Florida Today bailed out...poons